Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Any good websites on the basics of welding & cutting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 07:19 PM
IGKYA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to learn so that I can do some exhaust work on my truck.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-06-2002, 10:14 PM
lowriderpimp27
New User

Try this one it has a lot of info, I thought it was good but I am just starting to learn how to weld.

http://www.machinist.org/army_welding/

Old 05-15-2002, 01:42 PM
mcgyver42
Cross-Country

I thought this one looked good, but I'm no welder:

http://www.bernzomatic.com/howto.htm

[i][font color=red]-Mark[i]

[font color=green]'85 F250 4WD 460
'85 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
'83 Mustang convertible up on blocks

[font color=blue][i]"If a man speaks and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"[i]

Old 06-07-2002, 11:26 PM
Ziggy___
Freshman User

I used to work as an industrial mechanic and did a fair amount of welding. The books are good for learning certain guide lines, but welding is a bit of an art and can only be learned by practice. I suggest gathering some scraps similar to what you plan to weld and experimenting to see what does and doesn't produce a satisfactory weld. Even when welds look good, test their strength. Some of the best looking welds pull right apart and some of the ugliest are strong.
Cutting is not very hard. Cutting a straight line is. We often used guides to run the tip along to get straight cuts.
Be careful when cutting or welding. Fires are easier to accidently start than most people think and sparks of molten metal can go far.

Ziggy

Old 06-08-2002, 10:49 AM
banjosford
New User

miller has a tech page that after 40 years of welding i still learned from.

Old 06-16-2002, 04:19 PM
PSD_Power
Elder User

Ziggy is right. It is an art. Welding isn't somthing you can really learn off of a web sight. What you really need is a buddy that knows how to weld to look over your shoulder and help you out. A little bit of practice goes a long way.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=4920&.jpg http://66.179.41.42/gen1/build/realgeneral.jpg

2002 F-350 SC LB 4X4 6SPD PSD. 3.73 gears. 2.5" leviling kit. Rhino lined Bed. Prodigy trailer brake controler. 35x12.5x16.5 BFG A/T. 16.5x10 ultra wheels.

Old 06-19-2002, 02:00 PM
Rosati
Postmaster

I recently purchased a small 110v mig welder and couldn't get a decent weld for nothing. I then called a local shop and asked for advice. They were very helpful and basicly told me to go slow and adjust the wire speed until I hear bacon sizzling. You don't want to hear popping or rapid popping but a sizzle! I finally acheived a few nice welds but after I cut a few apart, I found that I was moving too fast and didn't get the penetration I needed. With some trial and error on some scrap, I found that the welds penetrate better on metal that is cleaned. Even the flash material on rolled steel is an insulator and must be ground before welding. If the metel is grinded on before you weld, you will be able to see the discoloration on either side and it should be about 1/4" from the weld on 3/16" to 1/4" steel.
Buy some scraps of the same type and material you will be working with from a fab shop in your area to practice on.

Old 06-19-2002, 02:15 PM
odie780
Senior User

When I was a child my father gave me a tin of rods and told me I could weld on any of the scrap. Well let me tell you I had one ugly looking burnt,welded and bent looking piec of art. After a few weeks of not letting it get the better of me and trying diferent things I got fairly good. Till this day I weld quite well with mig,tig, and stick welding even though I don't do it as often as I use to.

Few tips I would say are:

1) Slezy "Slow and easy"
2) Lisen to your weld as much if not more then you look
3) Weld as hot as you can and get as much penetration
4) Clean is good
5) Wear shoes when using a buz boxs outside in damp weather (boy dad that tingels)
6) To test a weld bend it in a vice till it brakes if it broke on your weld your not getting a good weld, it should brake just beside the weld on the steel.
7) Get ready to be real sick if you weld galvinzed for any length of time
8) It realy does hurt when you look at that bright light for a long time

Mig is alot of fun to weld with and very rearly do any two people use the same settings for the same steel.

Have fun

Old 06-19-2002, 02:44 PM
flatliner
Senior User