Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

WhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant future
Edge owners: Tuning thread

Thought I might make a thread for all the Edge tuner customers we have here (Seem to grow everyday). I think it might be nice for those who own, and might be thinking about it, to have a somewhat centralized thread for what kind of custom tunes they are running. I havent really messed around with mine at all yet. Here is the basic info I thought might be useful:

Truck configuration (year, cab, bed, drive, etc)
Octane used
Custom parameters
Avg. MPG (whether you believe it or not, some do buy these trying to squeeze some extra miles out of their trucks)
.... and of course anything else you might want to add.

Hope some take advantage of this, and post back when they tweak their tunes. I'll know if the idea went over like passing gas in church, if it drops off the radar with no responses .
"The next time some actor or rock star tells you what to think, tell them to **** off." - Dennis DeYoung
Old 03-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Elder User

DiscountPowerPrt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DiscountPowerPrt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lets see some comparisons of those that have AirIntakes and or Exhaust mods as well. Im curious to see If there is a major difference in power or economy as well. We get those questions all the time, and some good hard numbers would be nice.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Elder User

DASTUD is starting off with a positive reputation.
I Just installed the edge two days ago. I have a super crew 4x4 v8 short bed. I have the magnaflow 16612 and the k&n 63 series. I have the truck tuned for performance. Tonight i did a 0-60 test, 7.12 seconds. I have been so suprised how well this makes the truck come alive. Really compliments the k&n and magnaflow! I did tweek the shift points and rpms a little, but not much. I think the ampg is not real accurate, it says i am getting 30.4 mpg. I guess i have only had it a couple of days, but believe me, i can't keep my foot off the gas. Wow, what a blast! I believe the above set up is absolutely perfect. Great sound and awesome performance for a big heavy 4x4.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Elder User

To let you know, I am running 93 octane and i have 3.73 gears.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Posting Guru

is300wrx is starting off with a positive reputation.
as for tire size, i have 285/70/17 and the manual give a measurement for 295/75/17. What is the proper MM? Also, I wanst sure if I needed to do an update so I called up Edge and they said that I dont ever need to unless if certain functions are not working.

p.s. Was the Edge Evolution already mounted in the pod when you opened the box? It just seemed weird that it came pre mounted...The module did give me the number of disclaimers when my turned my car on though for the first 5 times...
Old 03-24-2006, 11:28 PM
New User

Corona_FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My F-150 is a SCab, 5.4L. I've had the Edge Evo since it was released. Prior to the Evo, I had a xcal with custom tunes. I have to say, I have been impressed with the tunes these guys at Edge have produced on this tuner. Not to mention the adjustability and the guages. What a product.

I like running the level 2, with the timing bumped up for my altitude (+2), plus when I run other than 87 octane (91 in Denver), I push it up to +4 on the timing, no detonation to date. Before the Evo I had a Gibson SISO catback. Since, I've added the Volant intake kit. The combo really has made this truck so much fun to drive. Since the Volant though, I get a vibration from the intake at around 2k that I'm trying to figure out. It's not as bad with the stock tune or level 1, but still there. MPG? Right now, I'm enjoying the performance too much, so it's suffering somewhat, still average 15mpg.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Senior User

TWellmann is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe the vibration is coming from the resonation - as the throttle body opens more of the engine noise escapes out of the air intake which is what youre hearing. The AEM Brute Force is horrible here when the engine RPM is between 2100 and 2200 while running level 3.

I discovered by accident that if you lower the WOT fuel setting you can reduce the noise/vibration...but it seemed to me that you also lower your performance some.

According to the manual the WOT fuel setting only effects WOT and not normal driving but I wonder if the fuel setting isn't scaled logarithmically (or something similar) based on the throttle body position...meaning at WOT you're giving the maximum additional fuel (as you've set it) but if you're at say 75% WOT you're getting a percentage of the WOT value. This type of scaling would make some sense to me since you don't feel a sudden spike/boost as you gradually increase the throttle to WOT. Ive speculated enough here, can anyone confirm or deny this with any truth or facts?

Another question I have is regarding the timing setting. Prior to upgrading my Evolution I had a Fuel Octane setting (as the manual states) but the last couple updates have replaced that setting with a Timing setting. The fuel octane setting was easy to understand...just set it to match (or be a point or two higher) your fuel...but I just dont understand how to properly set the timing setting. I have been unable to find an explanation of how this adjustment works on the Evolution to know what Im really changing. For example, if Im running 89 octane fuel on Level 3, what timing adjustment do I need to make? I believe I need to retard the timing, but how much?

Anyone have any insight on this adjustment?
Leather captains chairs with center console
Trailer tow package with reverse sensors
3.73 limited slip, ARE tonneau cover
Old 03-25-2006, 08:31 AM
New User

Corona_FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWellmann
I believe the vibration is coming from the resonation - as the throttle body opens more of the engine noise escapes out of the air intake which is what you’re hearing. The AEM Brute Force is horrible here when the engine RPM is between 2100 and 2200 while running level 3.

I discovered by accident that if you lower the WOT fuel setting you can reduce the noise/vibration...but it seemed to me that you also lower your performance some.

According to the manual the WOT fuel setting only effects WOT and not normal driving but I wonder if the fuel setting isn't scaled logarithmically (or something similar) based on the throttle body position...meaning at WOT you're giving the maximum additional fuel (as you've set it) but if you're at say 75% WOT you're getting a percentage of the WOT value. This type of scaling would make some sense to me since you don't feel a sudden spike/boost as you gradually increase the throttle to WOT. I’ve speculated enough here, can anyone confirm or deny this with any truth or facts?

Another question I have is regarding the timing setting. Prior to upgrading my Evolution I had a Fuel Octane setting (as the manual states) but the last couple updates have replaced that setting with a Timing setting. The fuel octane setting was easy to understand...just set it to match (or be a point or two higher) your fuel...but I just don’t understand how to properly set the timing setting. I have been unable to find an explanation of how this adjustment works on the Evolution to know what I’m really changing. For example, if I’m running 89 octane fuel on Level 3, what timing adjustment do I need to make? I believe I need to retard the timing, but how much?

I have wondered whether the vibration is in fact resonation or as I've heard the term "harmonic" resonation that occurs at certain RPM's. Sounds like the AEM intake has a similar problem. I will try to lower my WOT fuel, it's at 1.6 now, to see if the vibration lessens. The only thing I worry about here is that I've read keeping a richer WOT fuel level might protect against the A/F ratio running too lean at WOT. So the question is, where is the "sweet spot" on this setting to reduce the resonance and avoid any danger of running too lean?

As far as your question on the changes from an octane setting to the timing degrees, I've got some posts from Bill, ASEMechanic, that he was posting on another forum. He is the engineer at Edge who developed the tunes for the F150 Evo. Here's what he said regarding a question similar to yours:

Quote:
Roughly 1 degree per 2 octane.

Level 3 (basically 91 octane tune) running 93 = +1 deg.
Level 2 (basically 87 octane tune) running 93 = +3 deg.

Level 3 running 100/101 = +5 deg. (This is for the rich guys!) :bows:

These are ideal values at sea level. At altitude, you should be able to add another degree per 2500 ft.

5000 ft. = +2 deg.

Just so you know, I can run level 3, +3 deg at 4500 ft with 91 octane. 4 to 4.5 degrees gets me a nice rattle on heavy throttle tip-in (low RPM throttle stomp) but actually drives quite nicely on the highway giving me another +.25 to +.5 MPG at 70 MPH versus +3 degrees timing.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Postmaster

superrangerman2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscountPowerPrt
Lets see some comparisons of those that have AirIntakes and or Exhaust mods as well. Im curious to see If there is a major difference in power or economy as well. We get those questions all the time, and some good hard numbers would be nice.
That's just it.

As much as I hate to say it, all threads of this nature will just boil down to another indecisive thread with a bunch of inflated claims, and claims by those of us who have used the products and felt that we were cheated.

If there's two things that people will inflate claims on it's MPG and taxes.

Kinda like the 25 mpg claim I saw yesterday on this very forum with the use of a intake, exhaust, tuner, etc, etc.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:51 AM
New User

MosineeFX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWellmann
I believe the vibration is coming from the resonation - as the throttle body opens more of the engine noise escapes out of the air intake which is what youre hearing. The AEM Brute Force is horrible here when the engine RPM is between 2100 and 2200 while running level 3.

According to the manual the WOT fuel setting only effects WOT and not normal driving but I wonder if the fuel setting isn't scaled logarithmically (or something similar) based on the throttle body position...meaning at WOT you're giving the maximum additional fuel (as you've set it) but if you're at say 75% WOT you're getting a percentage of the WOT value. This type of scaling would make some sense to me since you don't feel a sudden spike/boost as you gradually increase the throttle to WOT. Ive speculated enough here, can anyone confirm or deny this with any truth or facts?

Another question I have is regarding the timing setting. Prior to upgrading my Evolution I had a Fuel Octane setting (as the manual states) but the last couple updates have replaced that setting with a Timing setting. The fuel octane setting was easy to understand...just set it to match (or be a point or two higher) your fuel...but I just dont understand how to properly set the timing setting. I have been unable to find an explanation of how this adjustment works on the Evolution to know what Im really changing. For example, if Im running 89 octane fuel on Level 3, what timing adjustment do I need to make? I believe I need to retard the timing, but how much?

The octane adjust was properly changed to timing adjust (in my opinion) due to the fact that your adjusting the timing.........and there are more factors involved than just octane.

If the vibration for the intake is actually the tube resonating...this could be checked easily. Resonance is a function of stiffness and mass....you could change the mass of the tube and see if that makes a difference? Attach a weight to it somehow? Also, you could change the "stiffness" by securing the tube better somehow. Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Elder User

DiscountPowerPrt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DiscountPowerPrt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah I see what your saying. I love the guys that say they get 22 mpg out of there Diesel. I have an 05 and If I could only get above 15 I would be happy.
Then again I have a very heavy foot. I wish we had a F-150 so that we could play around with it at the shop this summer. We do competative truckpulling and sometimes travel far. I wouldnt mind being the chase truck and see what we could get out of one of the Edge Evo's as far as economy goes.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Senior User

TWellmann is starting off with a positive reputation.
Corona_FX4 -- thanks for the info! That's what I've been looking for! Im surprised this isnt in a FAQ on the Edge site...but maybe they feel there are liability issues if they posted the info there. I guess some idiot would eventually blow his engine up and try to sue blaming it on the info they provided.

MosineeFX4 -- I'll double check to make sure everything is tight...Maybe I need to put a rubber grommet between the truck and AEM tube mount to help absorb some of the vibration.
Leather captains chairs with center console
Trailer tow package with reverse sensors
3.73 limited slip, ARE tonneau cover
Old 03-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

WhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant future
2006 FX4 Screw 5.4 4x4
89 octane
I am using the 2/Tow tune. I set the timing +1, and shift firmness +5 at all intervals.

Been running this two days now. Shifting is great now, might even bump it up some more. Very fast low end response with the timing too. One of my biggest complaints about these Edge units versus my Superchips experience...is the low end response. Although its only been two days, I am seeing ~.5mpg increase.
"The next time some actor or rock star tells you what to think, tell them to **** off." - Dennis DeYoung
Old 03-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Elder User

I Would like to see others opinions on what they think the perfect custom tune is on level 3 performance.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior User

derek4343 is starting off with a positive reputation.
how do you get the screen to show you ampg?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
2003, 2007, 85, 89, custom, edge, evolution, f150, ford, fx4, gas, levle, octane, owners, tunes