2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edge owners: Tuning thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:40 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dprince
hey i have been searching the intranet for tuners and i like what the edge has to offer but iam wondering is it worth it i recently added single dual exhaust and a k&n intake and was wondering is the edge worth it?? i do like the mounting option with the added gauges
I believe it is. The Edge really changed the manner in which my truck runs. It not only helped the acceleration, but it shifts faster and goes down the road easier. The truck does not need to work to move itself now....

Old 07-23-2006, 06:44 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 2004f1504X4
Apparently these trucks have a problem with hot climate. As for the fuel don't know but everything is possible!!, suspect the engine cooling needs improvement...may be these truck need extra fan. Any idea to add an extra fan is appreciated

Back to Edge, if I use 95 and the first time I connect the unit, should I adjust the settings for the fuel to match 95? how? and can you change the settings back to 91?

Also, I am really curious about the fuel setting in the stock program! is it 87, 91..?? How can I know before connecting the the EDGE?

Thanks!
The stock program for the trucks sold in the US is for 87 octane. It may be different for you, but only your owners manual can say for sure. To take advantage of the higher octane, you can alter the timing (+1 degree for two octane points). So....if the high performance setting is for 91, and you are running 95... in the custom settings for the Level 3 tune, you woul just change the timing to read +2. It might be worth an email to Edge to see what the think, since you do run your truck in a hotter than average climate. They might have slightly different instructions to compensate for the extreme heat.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:48 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Apparently these trucks have a problem with hot climate. As for the fuel don't know but everything is possible!!, suspect the engine cooling needs improvement...may be these truck need extra fan. Any idea to add an extra fan is appreciated
For extra cooling ideas, you might want to visit the Aftermarket Forum.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:55 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apparently these trucks have a problem with hot climate.
I'm in Florida and the temps have been in the mid to high 90's for a while now. I have no problems when driving around town or while towing.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:33 AM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If any of you are having an issue with high temps, be it boil over, or just the heads getting too hot and causing pre-ignition...there are products out there that will soften your water and allow for better heat dissipation. There are also a few gems in the bucket of dirt we call oil additives that actually make oil work better and run cooler.

Products I recomend are:
http://www.two2cool.com/products.htm
We do not carry this line. This product has a VERY loyal following in the 2-cycle motocross arena.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
We carry this line

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/prpice.html
We carry this line

http://www.designengineering.com/
We carry this line

http://www.awdist.com/mohney.html
This is where I buy my Amsoil. This guy is an official in the Power Pulling Productions organization and very active in other competition truck pulling organizations. He is a truck lover and a performance addict....my kind of guy.

http://www.discountpowerparts.com/On...Treatment.html
This is the additive I personally add to my Valvaoline "Not Street Legal" 1.8% zinc race oil, and also what I add to my Amsoil 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel oil. If it came down to being able to run straight oil in my 8,100 RPM race engine alone...or urinate in the crank case and add MT-10 to the urin for lubricant... I'll take a gallon of water please, because I have a lot of pee'ing to do and a short time to do it!

If you combine a water wetting agent, a good oil, and an industrial oil additive that actually does what it says, you will see much lower cylinder head and water temps, less wear on bearings and rings (I have a race engine that went 4 years on a set of mains and rods with MT-10), and better general performance from an engine that is running more free, and cooler, with less wear and tear. I have Amsoil or Valvoline 1.8% zinc with MT-10 in every tractor, lawn mower, weed eater, ATV, car, truck and SUV around this place.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Logghauler
New User
edge

I am not the smartest at truck engines and stuff and i have been reading about yall changing the timing and things with the edge and i was thinking of getting the edge for my truck but i am not sure about changing the timing and shift point and things like that so if i get the edge will it do it or do i have to change it or what? I just don't wanna screw my truck up! I mean how do i know what to do once i get it? Also how does it mount to the dash of the truck and what color pod does it send with it? I just got my truck last thursday and its a southern comfort edition and the dash is black and dark gray just wondering how it will look with the color of my dash!

Old 07-23-2006, 01:06 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Well there are a few regular settings that you can choose from that alter the timing. If you run any of those, you dont *have* to tweak anything. Provided you are running the correct octane for the settings, you wont have anything to worry about. Of course you can customize those tunes, but only if you know what you are doing (or ask here and find out). The pod that comes with the unit is black, so it will work with your dash perfectly.

Edit: Pictures can be found here http://www.discountpowerparts.com/On...ner_F-150.html

Last edited by WhëëlMå1; 07-23-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:59 PM
dprince
Freshman User
welli was up until about 4am reading all your responses on the edge and well i think i made the right decision and bought one this morning at discountpowerparts .com paid extra for faster shipping. i like instant satisfaction!! but then relized i ordered on sun day so it will still take about 4 days oh well gives me more time to get excited thanks for all the info you guys provide in this forum

Old 07-23-2006, 04:24 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
No, you should have it tuesday.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:24 PM
dprince
Freshman User
really that would be awesome cant wait

Old 07-23-2006, 05:28 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
I have an 06 5.4 FFV in a Scab 4X4 Lariat. I am going to get the edge and prolly the AEM brute force. Question though. As long as I just run gasloine and not E85 the edge will work right?

Old 07-23-2006, 06:33 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
correct.......

Old 07-23-2006, 08:50 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
I would call Edge and ask about the E85 fuel. I did talk to Jet Chips about E85 with a Thermo master chip a customer wanted, and jet said the tunning was the same. So...maybe the Edge tunes have been tested and deemed good with the E85 fuel. It could happen.

The pod on the Edge is black and mounts with adhesive backed velcro. it is easily painted any color you wish an appropriate color of interior vinyl die that is available at your local auto parts store.

if you dont like the idea of the Evolution mounted to your dash, simply apply the tune and remove it from your dash.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:52 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
Cool, now all I gotta do is wringe a couple a more bucks outta the checkbook, and I will be in business.! Good idea to call Edge and get it from the horses mouth.

Last edited by smokestone52; 07-23-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:57 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
Oh I also wanted to ask, if a person goes as far as putting the edge into service, with a better induction, should I go ahead and open up the exhaust a bit also?

Quick Reply: Edge owners: Tuning thread