California may not be the worst, after all

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:54 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California may not be the worst, after all

This was posted on the CL forum, with a note to ask the members to help -

I'm hoping you can help NYS beat down a bill that would make brush guards/bull bars illegal, including factory equipped units. We want to compose a form letter to send to our state legislators explaing why this law is ludicrous & unfair. founded in myth & not facts.

If any of you know explicit reasons why brush guards are NOT a danger, that they will NOT interfere w/air bag deployment or cause additional injury to other vehicles in a collision PLEASE POST IN THE NYS forum right away.

If any of you or your members were thinking of moving to NYS, be warned - we have watchdog politicians here! Yep - they will not rest till they have destroyed this state & taken away liberties most other states would never interfere with. I'm on a rant - I know that. I'm so fed up with this state I can't even begin to tell you! These insane politicians won't be happy till they drive ALL the voters OUT!
Please - if you can help let us know. Thanks in advance.

Feel free to post on their chapter (New York) forum if you want to help - but mostly I wanted to post this to show that we are not the only state with laws that restrict modifications!

btw, how could you argue that a sharp hunk of steel in front of your bumper is not an added hazard to pedestrians and other cars on the road? That is what brush guards are for - running over and chopping down small trees, old ladies in crosswalks, and slow traffic!

Last edited by WillyB; 03-24-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:01 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, you might need one of those tree dropping brush guards at Central Park.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:06 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the link to the NY thread - Ronin posted the story & links for the legislators to contact. Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=475850.

One thing they say is very correct - once any state violates a sacred cow, the other states tend to jump on the bandwagon.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:25 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
They better remove all the push bumpers off their city tow trucks then! :P

The 1973 I had had a grille guard. I still have it somewhere. And the 1972 F-250 I had the pleasure of driving had a factory dealer guard on it as well. I cant see them telling you that you have to take off a factory installed one. Not constitutional in my opinion.

as for the other arguements, I don't see how a modern brush guard would cause any more damage to pedestrians that wander out into the road and get hit by a car than one without one. Hell, you could argue, that it would prevent them from getting impaled with shards of plastic grille and radiator support.

In another fact you can argue that in Australia, they make the trucks have brush and push bumpers on them for precisely the same reason, to protect the motoring and pedestrian public.

You could also argue that you should make the trucks and cars heavier, like in the sixties, so you wouldn't need as much of that saftey crap on them.

If NYC passes that you know california wouldn't be far behind, or vise-versa.