Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Time to get the tiller running!

Old 03-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time to get the tiller running!

I just prepped and seeded three trays with Haberneros, Thai Poinsettias, long red cayenne, various bell peppers, and virginia tobacco.

217 plants in all. A third of them are tobacco.

There should be 50 haberneros, 19 Thai peppers, 40 cayennes, and 36 bell pepper plants in a few weeks.

I also found a variety of 12 foot tall by 4 foot wide Arbor Vitea shrubs at Wally World for $7.44 each. So far I have four of them planted to start my hedgerow, there will be at least five more and then my driveway will be screened from the road eventually. At this point they are only about 24 inches tall.

I'd still like to get some Anahiem Chiles, but have some banana pepper seeds ready to sprout out. This year my grocery store is going to be out back!

Old 03-23-2006, 03:58 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I'm waiting a little longer before committing, don't think the frost is over.
I gotta get some manure and peat, going to do all the beds, and make another beside our house, just need some timbers to build up where it's sloped to the sidewalk.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I got my tiller fired up this afternoon, and just about did myself in with it. Yet all I managed to do was go about two rows in from the border of the main garden...

Over the next four weeks I'll be tilling and retilling that patch until it is as deep as I can go, and as good digging as I can make it.

This year - I want it all, man!

It will be about double in size.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Get some loads of manure to mix in it, at the end of the year, put ALL your leaves back there on it in a pile, you spread it out the next year after it's been there rotting and till it in.
BTW, people can't believe my luck in planting, wife and I have had plants thrive in the worst area's, like a rock garden, had to haul out truck loads of rock, and bring in soil to mix with the clay left over.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I not only dump leaves on it in winter - but lay any branches I trim from the hedges and wherever on it too. If I spot anyone bagging up grass cuttings I kindly offer to haul them away for free also

And nothing organic goes into the trash at my place - stuff like that is considered "gifts for the Garden".

I figure "Feed the soil, and the soil will feed me"

Last edited by Greywolf; 03-24-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Dad has already started the garden by the barn at my great grandparents old homestead, I need to start getting the soil turned here.
I'd love a place to setup a compost bin, I always had good luck with my garden, would spread granulated fertilizer out before turning it under the last time before planting.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:26 AM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just make sure these neighbors don't put week killer on their lawns!

Old 03-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
You can make a mini-composter out of one of the big blue plastic barrels I see all over the place around here.

Cut about a foot and a half wide by foot tall hole in the side at the bottom to shovel it out, leave the top open and dump in dirt to match the amount of grass cuttings, leaves, and leftovers that go into it.

Search this Thread