Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Non emissions county?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 03:42 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non emissions county?

Hey yall. I'm lookin for a county in central Texas that doesnt do emissions testing for inspection. They started doing them here while I was in Iraq and my truck aint nowhere near passing and I dont really have the $ to get it there right now. Do any of yall know of one in the Hill Country?

Old 03-22-2006, 04:20 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out this link here: Texas counties that do emission tests

Pretty much if you can get out of Travis and Williamson county, it looks like you'll be alright.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:16 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Great link. Thank you!

Old 03-22-2006, 06:22 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
no problem

Old 03-23-2006, 09:30 AM
my79f
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
hays and burnet are the nearest. plus you might be able to find some land for cheap.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:40 AM
rfxj3
Senior User
Just so you are aware, they have some sort of tracking method in place that specifies your county of residence based on your registration. I am not positive on how they are planning to enforce it for sure but I think it will be something that may come up when you try and renew your registration. The new inspection equipment includes a data link that downloads your inspection results directly to the DMV instead of the traditional paper based reporting system so I figure it won't be long before we are forced to comply with the new crap though. If the vehicle is 25 years old or more, it is exempt from the new requirements and I was pleased to find out also still gets the cheaper rate of $12.50 instead of the new rate of close to $30.00.

Just remember, big brother is watching!

Old 03-23-2006, 03:26 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Well I bought my truck in Bell county and it's still registered for Bell county. Guess I'll go up there and get it done.
Now I always thought you had to register a vehicle in the county you live in. When I was in Iraq my parents tried to renew the registration it in Williamson and they said the old one was from Bell so they had to go there to do it, so they did. The address on my registration is a Will Co address, but it's registered in Bell. Is that okay or did somebody goof?

Old 03-23-2006, 04:30 PM
rfxj3
Senior User
That sounds fishy to me dude! I am pretty sure that WilCo "should" have changed it over because thats the county in which the truck resides and is operated primarily. I would think that just by entering the WilCo address change, the computer should have automatically changed it over so you may want to see if you can find the actual receipt that they gave your folks. It should list the county actually registered in. If the address listed is in WilCo, then my bet is that the registration will reflect WilCo as well.

Of course, it may not even be an issue until you go to renew again so you may just want to let sleeping dogs lie if you know what I mean!

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Antacus
Elder User
Yeah, I thought that you had to get your truck inspected in the county that you lived in. I know the last few times I have gone they ask to see insurance and that has my address on it... I just assumed they used that for the emmissions yes/no check.

Also, I asked when I took the old '95 volvo (shhh, don't tell anyone I drive this thing) this past year about diesels. I was told here in Collin county they don't do emissions on em. He said something like "we basically kick the tires, honk the horn, flash the lights, and give you a sticker for $12.50."

Old 03-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Ultraute
Senior User
The county of registration is now printed right on the windshield sticker.(the registration sticker) If you're regestered in any of the counties that require emission testing you can get inspection in any county that does it. If you're a non emission county you can get it done anywhere.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Ultraute
Senior User
Used to be (and maybe still is) that you could have your "mailing address" in a different county or even a different state than that it is registered in. Spoz to be registered in the county of your primary residence.

So in the case of 13MWZ, His truck IS registered in Bell Co. (non emission) but has a Will. Co. mailing address. To renew his registration, it has to be paid to Bell Co. To change the county of registration to Williamson Co., that would be done at the Will. Co. tax office.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Tx_Atty
Junior User
taken from the inspection website (posted higher up) section titled "Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?" -

2. Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from the emissions standards, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.

If you're driving a diesel, no emissions - exempt by state law in the transportation code.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:32 PM
jcp123
Elder User
All I can say is that I was really disappointed when I moved to Tx to find out they had inspections. We moved from Cali, always considered a pretty strict state ruled by the smog **** hippies and safety *****, and we didn't even have safety inspections, only smog tests. This crap is crimping my style! So much for always having wanted to move to Texas, I'll probably move away now at some point after I'm done with school.