4.6L Truck Wouldn't Start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Mr. Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L Truck Wouldn't Start!!!

To begin with, this is a 1999 4.6L F150 with 112000 miles on it. I went to crank up my truck this morning and it absolutely would not idle, i could mash the gas and make it idle at about 1000 rpms, but after a while it would just die out. I noticed it acted like it wasn't getting enough gas, it was NOT missing or anything like that. After that, I just took a car to college. I came home with some sea foam and put it in the gas tank before I even tried to crank the truck, the truck would not crank for a good while, but finally it magically did, runs fine now, i dont know for how long but it does, lol. Any ideas on what this may be? Just bad gas I got yesterday maybe? I am thinking it could be the IAC, think I should take it off and clean it?

btw, I have been noticing on crankup a kind of grinding noise from one of the pulleys, i'm not at all sure which one, but it does it sometimes and sometimes not, is there any common thing that usually goes out on these? maybe the waterpump or something?

I'd appreciate any help whatsoever on this and i appreciate it.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:52 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
The next time it won't start/idle, check the fuel pressure. The fuel pump may be going. First, change the fuel filter though... on my 4.6L's, 20K miles was enough to clog up the fuel filter pretty good.

If the IAC is sticking, you'll be able to get the motor to idle by touching the gas .5 or 1 inch or so. Mashing it to the floor should still rev way out past 4000RPM even if the IAC is bad.

Pulley noise: There are two idler pulleys, one on the belt tensioner, the other one bolted to the timing cover. If you take off the belt, and spin those two pulleys, if they make any kind of noise, or are loose, replace them. They are PROBABLY the problem, but could be water pump, PS pump, AC clutch, etc. But both my 4.6L's have had the idler pulleys replaced because of squeeking or looseness pretty early in their life.

art k.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Mr. Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just incase i need to know, where is the fuel pressure check valve on these things? Thanks man

Old 03-22-2006, 04:19 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Man
Just incase i need to know, where is the fuel pressure check valve on these things? Thanks man
I don't know on a V8, I only know on my V10 by looking

Somewhere on the fuel rail.