Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2006, 09:18 AM
New User

bwhalen is starting off with a positive reputation.
1st step to increase HP?

Hello,
I have a 239 original flathead (F-5). Can you advise me on the 1st thing to do, to increase the power. I don't have $2 grand to sink into it. I'm looking for the most increase with the least money. One friend said a general overhaul. Another said change the heads. Do headers make much of a difference?
Thanks for your expertise.
Brad
Kentucky
Old 03-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Senior User

sosotwo is starting off with a positive reputation.
dual exaust worked for me
you might want to relive the block as well
Old 03-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Elder User

Rancheroracer is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you rebuild it, put the Merc crank in it with a decent cam. I had a 239 with a Merc crank & 3/16" overbore, (286 ci). Ran very strong.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13
Old 03-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Posting Guru

51ford fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dual carbs and electronic distributor would bring up the performance. Also depending what trans and gear ratio you are running a 5 speed with 3.50 gears in the rearend might help.

Rod 51F1

Rod 51 F1 Truck
Flathead 6 / 3.23 Rear
S-10 5-Speed
"Keep on Truckin"
Old 03-21-2006, 02:33 PM
New User

bwhalen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys for the replys, and PLEASE keep 'em coming!

The reason I need the power is that I changed the original 6.66 rear end to a 4.11 posi trac. I was trying to get past 35 mph!, and the 4.11's worked, but I lost the power. The trans is still the original 4 speed.
Thanks again.
Brad
Old 03-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Elder User

F6Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
The best thing is a supercharger and a small four bbl carb with duel exausts. It sounds expencive but you can find kits for under 2 grand and it will be cheaper in the longrun than putting a merc long arm in there plus you can run up to 4 or 5 psi without going into the motor. Any more boost than that and you might want to put forged pistons and some valve springs in it. The bottom end should be good considering most of the stress it endures is from rpm and not compression. High compression heads lower air flow and limits cam lift. But a blower with good ignition and exhaust would work good for pulling with a stock heads and cam, considering its an f-5 I assume thats what you want to do with it. If your really on a budget dual exhausts, a small four bbl carb, and electronic ignition will help out alot. If you can swing it a good higher lift cam would be good too.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Elder User

dffay is starting off with a positive reputation.
IF you elect to rebuild it. Have it balanced professionally. That is the single best thing you can do to the naked engine so it is not fighting itself. Thereafter, porting and relieving and some power adders like heads and such for bolt-ons as your budjet dictates.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Elder User

SteV8e is starting off with a positive reputation.
For better breathing, headers and dual exhaust will give you good value for your buck. Sounds good too.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Senior User

59INA40 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Brad, back in the day when most rodders were on a budget, there were three things that they did to their flatties that returned the most bang for the buck. In order they are 1. Dual exhaust 2. Dual carbs and 3.mild cam. You can do all of these things yourself for under $500 if you are handy and don't have to have everything new. Or if you are like me, I have about $500 in the exhaust system alone due to the stainless Magna Flows that I couldn't live without. My flatty is lightly bored and displaces 250 cubes and with the above mods it is estimated that I am running about 130 HP (stock was 95HP). Steve
Old 11-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Elder User

SteV8e is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steve:

What do you recommend for the cam?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Posting Guru

ksmith203 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was wondering where the cheapest place to buy a rebuild kit at? I have a 226 flat 6 which I have ready to start rebuilding. The two place recommended so far are egge and kanter. Both place are around $1100.00 for the kit. Is there anywhere else that might be a little less? Not to take over the thread, but I have a 95 hp engine as well for a F-6.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Senior User

59INA40 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
SteV8e, I aquired an Isky solid cam from a friend of mine that replaced it with a 400Jr. Now he jokingly said he wants it back. He's got a '51 flatty that is displacing about 276 cubes and the thing will not idle very well but it gets off the line like nobody's business. The cam I have in my 59AB motor is a 77B. It's considered a mild street cam with good low speed and mid range power. I've had it in the motor since I rebuilt it 4 years ago and am very happy with it. Steve
Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Elder User

F6Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ksmith did you get the new pics I sent you?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
flathead, upgrade