Notices

Custon Headliners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:50 AM
twin66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custon Headliners?

I was looking into putting 6.5" Type R Alpine speakers into either back corner just behind my head/up a little so it is slightly angled down. I doubt the cardboard like headliner could hold up these speaker with ease, has enybody played around with fibreglass to make a headliner? i was also looking into putting my deck into the front of the headliner, kind of like those aftermarket plastic ones you can buy, but I cant find those for a 1966 ford f100 reg cab. Or would this all be too heavy for fibreglass? Also, any other suggestions for material would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2006, 02:45 PM
skrappy
Senior User
id try fibergalss

Old 03-16-2006, 04:11 PM
twin66
Senior User
Ya, i was just wondering if anybody had any experiance in doin this. Thanks though

Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 PM
CABROCK
Freshman User
Arrow custom headliner?

Hello twin66,
I just bought the abs headliner w/4 speakers (lmctruck.com) or jcw. It's expensive, $269.00. However, I believe you could buy a complete fiberglass kit for about $100.00. If you get that warm and fuzzy from custom home made mods, this ones for you. You build custom shells to mount to your old liner, (for your accessories, radio and such) and lay some fiberglass. Fiberglass installation instruction can be found all over the web. Why did I not do that: my headliner was soaked with water after my roof was damaged and it fell apart as I removed it. But boy did I have plans! Good Luck.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:51 PM
twin66
Senior User
Thanks, CABROCK, thats pretty well what i plan to do. I'll let you no and post pics of it.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:35 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fiberglassing your own headliner would be pretty easy if you keep to simple lines and not a lot of curves.

An idea for you is if your original headliner is in good shape in regard to the form and shape you want your new one:

Take a plastic painters sheet and tape to your oem headliner. Try to get it to contour the same shape.

Get a piece of thick fleece from any local fabric shop. Lay it over your existing headliner and plaastic to the same shape. Put a thin layer of fiberglass resin on the fleece - not enough to make it soak through though. Let it dry and it should hold the shape so you can remove your oem headliner from underneath. Next flip over the fleece and put a thick layer of resin on it to soak all the way through. This will become the back of the new headliner

I would then add more to the front side. Add another layer of fleece - or use fiberglass matting. (Fleece is cheaper than the matting and works well to form the base contour.)

Next, design the areas for the speakers and the radio. Build the shapes out of cardboard or posterboard - then overlay that with matting or fleece. After they are made, you can attach them to your headliner.

Do finish layers with kitty hair and filler and have it painted...

It would definitely look good!!!

Old 03-21-2006, 06:34 PM
twin66
Senior User
Thats awesome Cobra, that is a great idea I have never heard of before, using fleece. Thanks alot!

Old 03-22-2006, 10:14 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro

Fleece is used as a cheap substitute for the matting. Plus you can get it in larger pieces so making it as one piece is a little easier.

I used it when making my bumper fascias and it worked great. A lot of other fabrics work, but fleece is usually the cheapest. You can pick it up for as little as a $1.00 a yard at some Hancock Fabric Stores when its on sale. I used one that had Superman prints on it. I like to think it was stronger...

I would like to see pics of it as you do it! I am making a center console now. Hopefully I'll get it done soon - if the weather will actually warm up some...

Old 03-22-2006, 10:15 PM
twin66
Senior User
I'll definitely show pics, of course i wont be home till beginning of May, so it probably wont be done much before June

Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Sounds good... I'm sure I'll still be around to see the pics!!!