Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior User

rcknrbn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear differential temperature sensor?

I've ordered a transmission temperature gauge as well as a pod that mounts on the pillar. However, the pod has an opening for two gauges. I'm going with the "Autometer" brand, "Z" series.

I've looked at a 2nd gauge to fill the other spot and am considering a differential temperature gauge.
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugelist.aspx?sid=12&opid=2&szid=2

I know some people that have added an oil pressure gauge in the 2nd spot, water temperature, tach. etc, but it seems that would just be duplicating the OEM gauges I already have.

Anyone added a differential temperature gauge? Seems like there would not be a port to install the sensor other than the drain / access plug. I'm only considering such a gauge as I do tow a travel trailer.

Any input is appreciated!
Old 03-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Postmaster

superrangerman2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Most just tap a hole in the diff cover in a area that won't interfere with the "guts" and just use a regular oil temperature sender just like the one you got for the tranny.

In all honesty you really don't even it it.

How ever a oil pressure gauge would be more legit. Most of the guages on your dash are nothing more than a glorified idiot light, this is especially true of the oil pressure gauge.

Once the motor registers something like 7 psi, the oil pressure "switch" closes and the guage snaps to the middle position.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:27 AM
New User

PD52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcknrbn
I've ordered a transmission temperature gauge as well as a pod that mounts on the pillar. However, the pod has an opening for two gauges. I'm going with the "Autometer" brand, "Z" series.

I've looked at a 2nd gauge to fill the other spot and am considering a differential temperature gauge.
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugelist.aspx?sid=12&opid=2&szid=2

I know some people that have added an oil pressure gauge in the 2nd spot, water temperature, tach. etc, but it seems that would just be duplicating the OEM gauges I already have.

Anyone added a differential temperature gauge? Seems like there would not be a port to install the sensor other than the drain / access plug. I'm only considering such a gauge as I do tow a travel trailer.

Any input is appreciated!
I recently installed a Mag-Hytec rear diff cover that has a sender port built in. I have been considering installing a diff temp guage also, but still not sure if its worth it. If you do some towing you might want to consider an aftermarket diff cover. The Mag-Hytec holds about 1 additional quart of fluid and has cooling fins as part of the cover. Just a thought.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Senior User

rcknrbn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear diff

The Mag-Hytec cover sounds like the way to go. I didn't realize they came with a sender port built in.

PD52 - where did you buy / order yours from?

The Ford OEM rear cover is junk. The paint all flaked off in the first couple of months.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:38 PM
New User

PD52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcknrbn
The Mag-Hytec cover sounds like the way to go. I didn't realize they came with a sender port built in.

PD52 - where did you buy / order yours from?

The Ford OEM rear cover is junk. The paint all flaked off in the first couple of months.
Hello rcknrbn, I got mine from mag-hytec online. Here is the link: http://www.maghytec.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=4

Also, I uploaded a couple photos of it in my gallery if you want to see mine. In the photo of the inside of the cover, you can see the little sender hole at the top, on the inside. I only have had it on for about 2 weeks and so far so good! It's a great looking mod. Anyways, hope this helps and let me know if you have additional questions.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
differential, gauge, rear, temp