Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2006, 06:38 AM
wbw189 wbw189 is offline
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 73
wbw189 is starting off with a positive reputation.
KOH Supplier

Hey all,

I have successfully made BioD with red devil lye and have also failed miserably with the different drain cleaner lyes. All of my local stores have now run out of red devil lye. I am looking to change over to KOH. Through work I have come across a supplier who carries KOH flakes made by Occidental Chemical (www.oxychem.com). Has anyone here used this with success?

Ben

1986 F250HD 6.9L C6 trans 4X4 4.10s Limited Slip Body is Shot!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2006, 07:43 AM
fabmandelux's Avatar
fabmandelux fabmandelux is offline
Moderator
1935 Ford pickup
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paradise Found!
Posts: 19,656
fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw189
Hey all,

I have successfully made BioD with red devil lye and have also failed miserably with the different drain cleaner lyes. All of my local stores have now run out of red devil lye. I am looking to change over to KOH. Through work I have come across a supplier who carries KOH flakes made by Occidental Chemical (www.oxychem.com). Has anyone here used this with success?

Ben

1986 F250HD 6.9L C6 trans 4X4 4.10s Limited Slip Body is Shot!
Hi Ben, I still have'nt figured out why more people don't use KOH! I switched 6 mo ago and will never go back. It mixes quicker, has less fumes, makes far less soap, and the glycerol is a liquid down to 20 deg F!! A no-brainer to me.

FABMANDELUX.
__________________
Oregon Chapter Leader My friends call me Don.
"I always keep a supply of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy" WC Fields
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Dave Barbieri Dave Barbieri is offline
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 321
Dave Barbieri is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is KOH used in the same ratio as lye? I'm building my 'appleseed' today and hope to run my first batch later this week. I'm thinking, why not run it with KOH from the start? Easier mixing, fewer fumes, better output.... Why mess with lye in the first place?? Since I'm looking at 100 - 120 gallons per month, simple sounds real good to me!
__________________
1985 F250 XL 6.9
T-19 4 spd, A/C, PW, CC
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2006, 07:42 AM
fabmandelux's Avatar
fabmandelux fabmandelux is offline
Moderator
1935 Ford pickup
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paradise Found!
Posts: 19,656
fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barbieri
Is KOH used in the same ratio as lye? I'm building my 'appleseed' today and hope to run my first batch later this week. I'm thinking, why not run it with KOH from the start? Easier mixing, fewer fumes, better output.... Why mess with lye in the first place?? Since I'm looking at 100 - 120 gallons per month, simple sounds real good to me!
Nope: 1.4 times more KOH is required.

FABMANDELUX
__________________
Oregon Chapter Leader My friends call me Don.
"I always keep a supply of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy" WC Fields
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Dave Barbieri Dave Barbieri is offline
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 321
Dave Barbieri is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks FM! I'll hafta start checking out suppliers here in east TX and see what kinda cost difference I'm looking at. The lower gel point for the glycerine would make it much easier to work with - I could leave a batch in the processor and not worry about things getting too thick to work with.

I also appreciate your input on the PVC stuff. My storage barrels are on the other side of the shop, so I'm running pipe from my drying/blending barrel to the storage drums I'm using. 3/4 inch PVC would be a LOT cheaper than black iron pipe!
__________________
1985 F250 XL 6.9
T-19 4 spd, A/C, PW, CC
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2006, 02:55 AM
bassproguy07 bassproguy07 is offline
Elder User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 831
bassproguy07 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dave, where in east texas are ya North east south east?? Also If you could take some pictures of your process(making your processor) and post em up, i cant seem to find any good instructions online on how to make an apple seed processor. Also where did you get our fuel lines and how much did they cost you? I see that we basically have the same truck, so im assumng cost will be in the same area as well. Good luck with your first batch and let us know how it goes, i still have yet to start mine were in the middle of selling a house so money is tight but once its sold were free and ill be adding new fuel lines and then start my Bio process! Im really looking forward to it!
__________________
1983 F-250, 6.9 XLT REAL P.O.S!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2006, 06:58 AM
wbw189 wbw189 is offline
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 73
wbw189 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for your replies.

Fabman, you have said you buy your KOH and methanol from the same supplier. Who is that? Do you have any spec sheets and data sheets on either product? I have found a supplier close to home (SE, MI) with 99% methanol for $130/drum and a different supplier for NaOH $0.58/# in 50# bags. I am awaiting the pricing on the KOH along with data sheets. I am just trying to compare suppliers so I do not end up with 25 gallon of glop in the bottom of my reactor.

Bassproguy, go to www.biodieselcommunity.org for information on processor build, titration, bubblewashing, and links to biodiesel forums. They have been a great resource for me. All I had to buy for my version of the "appleseed" reactor was the pump! Everything else I was patient and scrounged around for.

Thanks again,

Ben
1986 F250HD 6.9L C-6 4X4 4.10s
__________________
Ben
1986 F250HD 6.9L C-6 4X4 3.55s "Rusty"
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
fabmandelux's Avatar
fabmandelux fabmandelux is offline
Moderator
1935 Ford pickup
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paradise Found!
Posts: 19,656
fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw189
Thanks for your replies.

Fabman, you have said you buy your KOH and methanol from the same supplier. Who is that? Do you have any spec sheets and data sheets on either product? I have found a supplier close to home (SE, MI) with 99% methanol for $130/drum and a different supplier for NaOH $0.58/# in 50# bags. I am awaiting the pricing on the KOH along with data sheets. I am just trying to compare suppliers so I do not end up with 25 gallon of glop in the bottom of my reactor.

Bassproguy, go to www.biodieselcommunity.org for information on processor build, titration, bubblewashing, and links to biodiesel forums. They have been a great resource for me. All I had to buy for my version of the "appleseed" reactor was the pump! Everything else I was patient and scrounged around for.

Thanks again,

Ben
1986 F250HD 6.9L C-6 4X4 4.10s
Hi Ben: I get my supplies from Cascade Columbia Distribution in Portland Or.
They gave me MSDS sheets on both, but I have no idea where I put them...................
FABMANDELUX
__________________
Oregon Chapter Leader My friends call me Don.
"I always keep a supply of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy" WC Fields
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Dave Barbieri Dave Barbieri is offline
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 321
Dave Barbieri is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassproguy07
Dave, where in east texas are ya North east south east?? Also If you could take some pictures of your process(making your processor) and post em up, i cant seem to find any good instructions online on how to make an apple seed processor. Also where did you get our fuel lines and how much did they cost you? I see that we basically have the same truck, so im assumng cost will be in the same area as well.
BPGuy - I work in Tyler and live about 30 miles east of there - a town called Overton. For my bioD project, I used the website that WBW pointed out. There are great pictures and suggestions, as well as line drawings and shopping lists. I simply printed out the entire section marked 'Appleseed Processor'. I've been preparing and shoppng over the past several weeks; here are some thoughts:

Convert Maria Alovert's shopping list/parts list to a straightforward parts list broken down by pipe sizes and pipe types. Easier to go down the aisle at Lowe's with this kind of list.

I purchased a 50 gallon water heater on sale at Home Depot. I had considered a used one, but after looking at the crap that builds up in one of those puppies, I just couldn't do it. I spent $200 and got a new heater. Both of the 240 volt elements were removed; the top hole was plugged with a PVC 1" pipe plug, and I installed a 1350 watt 120 volt element in the lower hole. The element cost me $7 at Lowe's.

Tractor Supply has the gray-pipe PVC barb fittings and the barrel bung adapter you'll need for the standpipe washtank project. TS is where you'll also find the bushings needed to adapt the pump's straight threads to pipe threads. PVC and less than a buck each.

I purchased two of the 'clear water pumps' called for in the plans. These came from Harbor Freight. They were NOT $24! The current catalog price is $29, not including shipping. You buy them off the shelf at the store, and the price is around $34 a pop. I also purchased the one year extended warranty that kicks in after the OEM warranty expires. ($5 each) Total cost was $93.

I found the 'cross fitting' at a plumbing supply house in Tyler. A little over $5.

I buy my methanol from David's Garage, a performance car place just north of Tyler on the way to I-20. He sells it by the 55 gallon barrel for $120. There's a $30 barrel deposit, so my first purchase set me back $150. I'll use new fryer oil from Sam's for my first batches of bioD. After I get the process down, I'll switch over to used oil.

The fuel lines on my truck came from an Performance Diesel Service - they're just the stock hoses and o-rings. Nuthin special. I'll change my primary filter (a Racor unit) and my secondary filter before running my first tank of bioD, and then again at my next oil change (5,000 miles).

My current plans are to brew 50 gallons of bio in two 25-gallon batches this weekend. I'll mix this with 50 gallons of #2 diesel, giving me 100 gallons of B50. It'll take me about a month to burn this. My next batch will be B75, and that's where I'll probably stay for awhile. Since I burn about 120 gallons/month, using B75 instead of B100 will save brewing two additional batches each month.
__________________
1985 F250 XL 6.9
T-19 4 spd, A/C, PW, CC
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
flake, koh, oxychem, price

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.



 
vbulletin Admin Backup