1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Are the power tuners worth the $$

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:46 PM
richard stone
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the power tuners worth the $$

Was wondering if the power chips are really worth the money. I have a 2000 5.4 with 140K that I tow a bassboat with. Extra power would be nice but not sure if it is worth it. How does it effect the gas mileage and will I need to switch to high octane gas??

Old 03-12-2006, 10:44 PM
wmcnally
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO, yes! I don't have any of those custom programmed tuners. Just a Superchips 1715. I've used it for ~ 40 K. It made a big differance on my '98 4.6 3.55 rear, 4R70W.

It didn't want to downshift (4-3). Even on small inclines in OD,it would not hold speed. On one long steep climb, in western NY, it would drop from 70 mph to under 50mph than drop all the way to 2nd and scream. After installing the Superchips max performance program my problems disappeared. Highway passing is a dream. Never lose speed on inclines. That monster climb in western NY? No problem, lose 2-3 mph it drops into 3rd I crest the top and right back to OD No Problem.

Yeah I do have to use Premium. Costs 15-20 cents more for 93 octane in my area. About 8% more $$$ for Premium. But I get about 7% better highway MPG. The fuel expense is almost a wash. And I figure using better gas keeps my engine cleaner and happier.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:10 AM
fbodyfan
Senior User
I've had a diablosport predator for about 3 days now, and I like it. I've been playin around with the options. My seat of the pants dyno says its worth it at full throttle, but only at full throttle. I haven't had it under significant load yet, so we'll see how that works out, but as far as I can tell, there's no part throttle difference.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:36 AM
DeanG
Junior User
I have an 01 SCrew with a 5.4, 3.55 gears and 285 75r 16 tires. I have been running a Diablo tuner for about 14 months now here in Western Montana and I can say yes it is deffinitely worth it! I was able to tune my shift points, shift pressure, recal the speedo, and wake up the 5.4. My mileage went down to 13.5mpg before I added the tuner (big tires) but the tuner brought it back up to 15.5mpg. Premium fuel cost .20 gal more than regular here and I did the math. I come out slightly ahead because of the 2 mpg increase versus the .20 gal cost increase (driving 15k a year). Cheapest performance upgrade I have come across yet.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:57 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
anyone use one on a manual......seames changing the shift points on an automatic helps a lot......what about a manual?....i'm thinking either a diablo or the edge evo.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Blk2003F150XTR
New User
Originally Posted by gui88ford
anyone use one on a manual......seames changing the shift points on an automatic helps a lot......what about a manual?....i'm thinking either a diablo or the edge evo.
I was going to jump in with that very same question. I have an '03 with 4.6 and 5 speed manual. I've been thinking of doing something to increase power to the pavement but wasn't sure if there was something out there that is more focused on the manual trannys. In the near future I will be changing the air intake to increase the breathing and possibly doing the exhause to a high flow at the same time. What is the next logical step? Anyone have any manual tranny experience or advise?

Old 04-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Shmuck
Senior User
You guys running the DiabloSport Predator, are you using the 93 octane fuel or did you go for the 98 octane?

I went to 98 octane and advanced the timing, I just have not had any good advise or feedback from others that have done the same and I am curious to know if I am seeing the resu;lts I should be seeing.

Living in a very hot climate I am getting about 475KM/tank (15 MPG) during the season when the air conditioner is not on 100% of the time, otherwise as low as 415 KM/tank during the peak heat season.

Any comments?

P.S. 285/75/16, cranked torsion bars, no other mods.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:06 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
what about the maunal question? whats the big advantage for us?

Old 04-02-2006, 03:15 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Here in the states we have 93 octane as the premium fuel...98 is closer to racing fuel and harder to get. I have a Predator, it hasn't helped my mileage, but it did improve the idle and power performance. The shifts do feel smoother. If we want to save some bucks we can go with 87 octane and change the timing to compensate per the manual.

I have tried 93 with the factory provided (canned) Predator tune, my mileage did not improve and seemingly the power output felt the same as when I detuned the truck for 87... without actual dyno results it is impossible to tell what gains were made when I went between octane ratings, but the 93 should be a step up to say the least. It wasn't recognizeable so I continue to run my truck on 87... perhaps because I can get away with a 3% timing advance with my engine and how I drive. No sense in paying an extra 20-40 cents for 91-93 octane when it doesn't do me any good.

For those of you with the manual transmissions... you control your shifts, it's almost all a human element. The power improvements are still there, but as the sole operator, you provide most of the improvement caused by the shift department by your driving habits alone. The automatics' factory programmed shift patterns and line pressures were in need of improvement as they have a direct control on power delivery, fuel mileage,and transmission component wear. Only a minor imput from the driver was necessary - the computer controlled the rest.

I'm sure that since the programmers could effect a change to make their programmer put out better numbers, that all the numbers they market were with were from testing automatic equipped trucks. They then used those numbers to go with all the changes, including those of the manual transmissions. Remember that most manual equipped vehicles get better mileage than the automatics... usually due to the mechanics/programming of the system to compensate for being emissions/ user friendly.

-Kerry

Last edited by kspilkinton; 04-02-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 PM
skilife17
Elder User
Sorry guys if I ruin this but in my IMHO a tuner really isn't worth it. I had a superchips 1715 for a week and returned it. I always got a CEL and my milage on the highway dropped drastically.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Shmuck
Senior User
Thanks for the detailed reply kspilkinton. If I recall, back in canada Sunoco had 98 octane? Regardless, over here we have 2 choices, 95 or 98. I have used both fuels and adjusted the timing up and down looking for that magic setting where the truck starts to ping with the idea of backing the timing off a touch once I found it. This procedure was suggested by many, however, I have yet to get the truck to ping? Makes me wonder if I'm doing somethign wrong or if the Predator is working properly. Any comments?

skilife17, although your are free to do and decide whatever you wish, I still think a week on a Superchip is hardly enough time to fully assess the value of the product.

P.S. What is a CEL

Thanks

Old 04-02-2006, 10:57 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Shmuck
This procedure was suggested by many, however, I have yet to get the truck to ping?

P.S. What is a CEL

Thanks
That's the same procedure that the company uses. Diablosport programs to 93 octane. Since 98 is much higher and you're just about at sea level, I doubt you'll get it to ping unless you're seeing 140 F outside, pulling a decent load, and have it at max advance, and I know it can reach pretty close to those temps, a reason that the octane is so high... been in the area myself a time or two.

CEL = Check Engine Light

About adding mods, I have found that it's best to go back to the stock tune, make sure all the sensors that can be cleaned are, drive with that program for a tankful. Then install the aftermarket tune... I've never had a check engine light as a result of a bolt-on using this method, including the new program. Now the other stuff, like heads, cams, superchargers, bigger MAFs, fuel injectors... items related to that then you should have the ECM pre-programmed to account for those.

Every now and then a lemon gets issued. It's a possibility that the programmer you bought, skilife17, was just such an item, as I have mostly heard positive results from programmers. I have heard of several people, who like yourself, got bad results... if your engine was sound, you're right to assume it's the programmer. You got a dud.

-Kerry

Last edited by kspilkinton; 04-02-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:58 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Again, another detailed and informative response. Nice to hear that someone over there can relate to what I am experiencing here!! Hottest I've seen was 48C (about 120F) although other areas within the region have been into the 50's C!! Summer time is nuts, but the other 8-10 months are very pleasant. Out of curiosity, what brought you to this region? Military? Lots of Navy folk get shore leave here in Dubai. But I digress.

So, temps at the moment are in the mid 20's (72F-82F), I'm running 98 octane and I have the timing advanced all the way in all ranges. As you presumed, I have not heard any ping. The most I carry in the back is a dirt bike. No trailor or boat towing. Would you suggest setting the timing up differently or should I leave it as long as I do not hear any ping?

While I'm at it, and as long as I have the attention of someone who does seem to know what he is speaking about, any thing to be causious about with respect to shift pressure? I have only adjusted it a bit just to give it that bit of extra feel to the shifts.

Any other settings that you might suggest I adjust considering the climate that I live in?

As for fuel mileage, during this time of year I usually am getting about 470KM to a tank but in the summer I'm lucky to get about 415KM's. Is this the typical expected mileage difference I could expect when the temps are high and the air con is running almost 100% of the time?

Sorry for the long one, but these are some things I've been struggling to get an answer for, so hopefully you can help.

Best Regards,

Mark

Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 AM
geoaigel
Elder User
Originally Posted by wmcnally

Yeah I do have to use Premium. Costs 15-20 cents more for 93 octane in my area. About 8% more $$$ for Premium. But I get about 7% better highway MPG. The fuel expense is almost a wash. And I figure using better gas keeps my engine cleaner and happier.
Premium isn't any better gas than regular. It just has higher octane rating. It will not keep your engine cleaner than regular.

George

Old 04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Shmuck
Again, another detailed and informative response. Nice to hear that someone over there can relate to what I am experiencing here!! Hottest I've seen was 48C (about 120F) although other areas within the region have been into the 50's C!! Summer time is nuts, but the other 8-10 months are very pleasant. Out of curiosity, what brought you to this region? Military? Lots of Navy folk get shore leave here in Dubai. But I digress.

So, temps at the moment are in the mid 20's (72F-82F), I'm running 98 octane and I have the timing advanced all the way in all ranges. As you presumed, I have not heard any ping. The most I carry in the back is a dirt bike. No trailor or boat towing. Would you suggest setting the timing up differently or should I leave it as long as I do not hear any ping?

While I'm at it, and as long as I have the attention of someone who does seem to know what he is speaking about, any thing to be causious about with respect to shift pressure? I have only adjusted it a bit just to give it that bit of extra feel to the shifts.

Any other settings that you might suggest I adjust considering the climate that I live in?

As for fuel mileage, during this time of year I usually am getting about 470KM to a tank but in the summer I'm lucky to get about 415KM's. Is this the typical expected mileage difference I could expect when the temps are high and the air con is running almost 100% of the time?

Sorry for the long one, but these are some things I've been struggling to get an answer for, so hopefully you can help.

Best Regards,

Mark
Yes, I was in the Navy. Never owned a vehicle in the region though... just know it's really warm in the summer.

I'd go with a lower octane than 98, if possible. As I stated the Predator wasn't designed for 98. The 98 octane fuel also take more energy to refine, a reason it costs more. If you want to play with the tuner, then you'll need to start with that lower octane fuel. In the summer you may need to go with the 98, though. Ping is the key... it's a sign of engine damage occuring.

The shifts firmness is based on user tastes. There is such a thing as overdoing it. Harsher shifts can result in component failure, just as the factory shift firmness leads that way. I think 100-120 is a good place to keep all shifts. Don't mess with the universal line pressure, that's a tool left for high performance transmissions.

I can't think of anything else to change it for the climate. We need someone who has experience with it from the southwest US to chime in. My experiences are from the Pacific Northwest.

Fuel mileage is gonna decrease in the summer. The AC running is a culprit, but so is the hot weather in general. The heat sink for the engine is hotter, so it's more difficult to cool. The air the engine intakes is hotter, less horsepower as a result. All in all the engine just becomes less efficient in the summer. The lower efficiency results in lower gas mileage.

Hope that helps somewhat...

As a note to George - Most of the major American producers of gasoline add more detergents to their higher octane fuels... so, in theory, they do actually clean your engine better.

-Kerry

Last edited by kspilkinton; 04-03-2006 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Are the power tuners worth the $$