Bio-diesel Waste disposal

Old 03-10-2006, 06:29 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Bio-diesel Waste disposal

Hi, I've been reading with great interest lately about this bio-diesel and home brewing and wondering what is done with the glyceral and waste oil containers and anything else I may have missed. Been driving diesels for 2 years now and would like to start brewing my own. Thanks in advance

Last edited by DISLFVR; 03-10-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:31 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DISLFVR
Hi, I've been reading with great interest lately about this bio-diesel and home brewing and wondering what is done with the glyceral and waste oil containers and anything else I may have missed. Been driving diesels for 2 years now and would like to start brewing my own. Thanks in advance
You may want to look into running straight WVO instead of Bio. Then you have no waste to manage.
Convert the truck or convert the oil. The truck is done once the oil is done each time.
I prefere converting the truck.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:34 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I dispose of the jugs at my local landfill. The glycerol: I burn 1/3 of it in my processer, 1/3 goes into my compost, and the last 1/3 I'm saving for experimental use to try and make glycerol/straw pellets.

You can convert to WVO use, but I have to many diesels to convert. I also use bio to heat 2 homes and my shop. It is just not cost effective for me to convert everything over.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:13 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies, conversion sounds to costly. I also own a Jeep liberty crd that the wife drives, it would be hard to fit a second tank on it. I think making bio on a small scale is the way to go. I'm going to look into everything before I dive in. Still reading, still learning.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
DISLFVR
If you run Bio Diesel (BD) there is no conversion needed.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:14 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
But there is still a cost. You'll pay about +-$.70 per gallon or more to make Bio.

So you basically pay for a kit $.70 at a time. I agree with Fab it I had a fleet I probably would make Bio.

But for guys with just the truck that they use to haul the boat or camper around or even a daily driver I'd do the conversion.

It was a $3000 up front cost for me to do my 6.0. So at $.70 per gallon to make bio you have a savings of $1.79 over diesel @$2.49. With a converted engine you have a savings of $2.44 over the same gallon of diesel.

My fuel cost is about +-$.05 with the filtering and electricity I use to dewater.

So after 1675 gallons of bio we've spent $3000
After 1229 gallons of WVO I've saved $3000

The nice thing is my savings keeps going after that.

Last edited by leskwvo; 03-12-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:25 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
I head of a guy blowing two different engines on WVO before switching to Bio. I am also looking into switching to bio simply because of the prive of fuel these days. What are the options availeble for glyceral at this time? I heard about making soap, how is this done or same with compost? Would I need to treat the glyceral with something, how would I go about with this if I start to produce bio? Thanks.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:09 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
I'd love to hear more details on how these engine were blown.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:30 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by leskwvo
I'd love to hear more details on how these engine were blown.
Erick: I've got one for you, Guy down the road used UNHEATED WVO in his toyota pickup last summer. Said he didn't need to heat it because it was summer and over 100 deg, well it's at my shop now and we just opened it up. IP was fried, the injectors fried, and worst of all the rings were JAMMED up with crusty gunk and the cyl bores were .009" worn! This engine only had 165,000 miles on it! I don't think I can save much, so he's looking for another engine.

FABMANDELUX

Old 03-13-2006, 09:13 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Thanks.

It's well known by now that unheated wvo is a no no. 150F or better and you eliminate all the viscosity issues. The upper ring land coking can be avoided by not starting a cold engine on wvo and not switching over till the engine is up to normal temp.

Plenty of studies out there on this. I feel bad for the guy a diesel Toyotas is hard to find in this part of the world. For him to trash it with cold wvo is a real shame.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:44 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
I do not know for sure how the engines were blown, I met the guy while changing his oil (I was a WalMart Tire & Lube Express Tech). When he came in he was driving a datsun with a 4cyl diesel running on bio and a small conversation got going on a variety of topics. I heard from him that he started using WVO as fuel and had blown two larger engines before starting biodiesel. He said that himself and a group of buddies made bio every other weekend and bought it from themselves to cover costs. As far as the climate goes, he lives in central Oregon in the city of Bend. Up there they have mild summers and winters having little snow and 100+ weather. Does thins answer your ?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:40 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
It helps sure. I guess I just hate to see vague comments posted on a forum. Third hand stories that generalize about the details. Someone will do a search come across this post and see about some guy that blew two motors running WVO. With no detail as to the circumstances. A newby may read this and run for the hills.

WVO is as safe to use as Bio as long as it used properly. 1000s of folks use it world wide.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Sorry if Run Away From WVO was the message, I am looing at the best form of fuel for my truck. I got that message from the person who blew those motors. I have heard mostly stories about Biodiesel and next to nothing about WVO until I came here. I know next to nothing on the use of WVO and about the same for Bio but I am learning. Again, sorry for the wrong message.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
For some of the best non vehicle specific info on WVO and Bio I suggest Infopop

For vehicle specific onfo stay right here and we'll keep you on the right track.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Just a thought, could a vehicle if properly equipped, run on WVO, Bio, and diesel. Would it be a good idea. I am in an area where in the Fall, Winter, and Spring I have better access to WVO and in the summer better access to Bio in terms of processing. I have thought of having multiple fuel storage tanks in the bed of my truck for Bio or WVO, is this reasonable. My truck is a 3/4 ton, if I were to fully load it with fuel how many gallons could it handle of Bio or WVO. I would like to build a Bio processing system at my parents place for the summer break before going back to college. At college I have no room for a large system so I think WVO would be better. The easy supply that I have talked about is my uncle. He every week pumps the WVO and for a wile now has wanted to use it for fuel and has offered me all I want if I were to build a Bio system and help him with one. I will let him know about WVO as well for a possibility.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bio-diesel Waste disposal