Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Senior User

aplustechnician is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question ABS light on, not rear speed sensor, HELP!

Just about every other time I start my Explorer up the ABS light comes on and stays on until I turn the engine off and then restart. I have tried changing the rear speed sensor (on the differential) and that didn't affect it. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? (Yes, I 'm trying to avoid taking it in to the shop!)
Old 03-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Junior User

rangerguy52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem on my '97 Explorer Sport. I've done the same thing and had the same outcome. I have no cule on how to fix it mine has been like that since September. If you find a way to fix it please let me know.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
See if your Haynes or Chiltons tells you how to pull the ABS trouble codes. Odds are you'll get a code for one of the front wheel ABS sensors.

On older Fords there was a seperate test connector for pulling the ABS codes, dont know about yours.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Junior User

rangerguy52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did pull the codes for the abs and I got a code saying something about the rear axle speed sensor. I can't remember what the code was, I have it wrote down at home.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Senior User

I have recently replaced my front hubs, but it could still be the front sensors. Can you buy a testor to pull the codes with?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well I did some poking around and what you need to pull the ABS codes is an OBD-2 scanner that is capable of also pulling Ford ABS codes.

If you have an Autozone nearby they will pull codes for free. But ask them if their scanner is able to pull the Ford ABS codes.

I sure hope that ABS remains an option that I can just say NO to when I buy my next truck.

Last edited by 87 XLT; 03-10-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Senior User

Thanks for the suggestion 87. I will go by there today and see if they can pull the codes. I will post the results if they do.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Senior User

I took it in to a local garage and the mechanic put a Snap-on code reader to it, and it indicated a bad ABS pump (big money). I am still thinking about taking it to my local Ford dealership and have them check it to be sure. I tell you the truth, those Toyotas are looking real good now!!
Old 03-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Senior User

Rangerguy, just to follow up, I took my Explorer to the dealership and it turned out the first mechanic was wrong. It was the front sensor after all (which is wonderful considering the pump I don't need is $1500 and I have two spare sensors which I do need already!!) I am very relieved!!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:01 PM
New User

mc320 is starting off with a positive reputation.
where exactly is the rear sensor located?

I got a code that says the rear wheel speed sensor is bad and I see that several of you on this thread have replaced it. Would someone walk me thru the steps to 1) get to it and 2) replace it? I am now trying to go at it from the rear by removing the spare tire and the plastic moldings that surround the spare tire. Am I on the right track? Can you post some pics?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Posting Guru

thelonerangerxlt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc320
I got a code that says the rear wheel speed sensor is bad and I see that several of you on this thread have replaced it. Would someone walk me thru the steps to 1) get to it and 2) replace it? I am now trying to go at it from the rear by removing the spare tire and the plastic moldings that surround the spare tire. Am I on the right track? Can you post some pics?
mc320, it's much easier to go at it from the driver's side. Just jack it up and put jackstands under that side, enough to allow you to crawl under it. You can reach up and remove one bolt, maybe an 8mm or so, then pull the sensor directly out. There's one electrical plug-in for it.
It's easy to do, but the sensor is up where it's hard to access. You'll have to go by 'feel' to loosen and tighten the hold down bolt, but it's about a 15 minute job.

78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 351M, 4-sp, Trailer Special
Old 01-13-2008, 04:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
1997, 99, abs, bad, code, codes, end, explorer, f150, ford, rear, sensor, sensors, speed, truck, wheel