1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My first purchase from Mid-Fifty

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 PM
jeff5683
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My first purchase from Mid-Fifty

Well what can I say.. I am unhappy with everybodys favorite Mid-Fifty.

I called up there to make an order on an ignition switch, cylinder, and matching passenger door lock.. The lady I'm ordering it from acts like she's doing 10 things at once and can't concentrate on my order.. Almost hangs up the phone without taking my payment information..

I get the package today, I ordered it Friday.. thats pretty good shipping time.. BUT

The catelogs and the internet say that the switch is 18, the cylinder & door set is 69.95, and then shipping is about 11.. She even said on the phone that it will be that much. So...

I get the package, the little bag with the cylinder/door lock set comes in and it says the right price of $69.95 but the invoice says 89.95. They charge me $20 more.. I figure oh just a small mistake, easy to handle, not a big deal..

I call up there and say "I ordered some stuff Firday and I got it today and I was charged $20 too high"

"OK whats your name"

"OK spell your last name"

"OK let me check it out"

She comes back

"Why do you say its too high?"

"You charged me $89 for the cylinder/door set and its only $69"

"OK let me check it out"

"OK... Ford changed their prices on us.."

"o...k... so... that means youre actually charging me $89?"

"yep.."

"well I wouldnt have bought from you if I knew it was 89 because everyone else is cheaper!"

"Im sure everyone elses prices have gone up too"

"So this just happened the same day I ordered it?!"

"No... it happened a long time ago..."

"*Grumble grumble* Well.. what do I do?"

"If you don't want it you can send it back for a refund"

"Well I might do that then.." *click*

Thats pretty unprofessional if you ask me... Sounds like a bait and change-the-price-and-see-if-you-can-get-away-with-it.

You'd think if Ford changed the prices on it a long time ago that they would have known to say something about that on the phone.. especially since the catelogs and web page say $69..

Its only $20 but I probably won't shop there again.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, Jeff. That sure is a first. Every report on Mid Fifty has been glowing.

Maybe your moon phase was out of whack...or hers was?

Old 03-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My experience has been nothing but pleasurable. Purchasing and returning. I really enjoy the Tootsie Rolls. Hope they have not changed hands or anything. Joe

Old 03-08-2006, 01:35 PM
jeff5683
Senior User
Yea.. Mercury and Venus collided and fell into the sun causing a huge solar explosion that enveloped Earth in Fire and turned Mars Purple..

lol

I'm not sending it back.. its not worth my time and the shipping costs..

Old 03-08-2006, 01:39 PM
jeff5683
Senior User
And the Tootsie Rolls were Stale!

lol jk

Old 03-08-2006, 03:20 PM
fking1
Elder User
Nothing but good results from Mid-50
Bought a ton of parts froom them.

Fred

Old 03-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff5683
Well what can I say.. I am unhappy with everybodys favorite Mid-Fifty.

I called up there to make an order on an ignition switch, cylinder, and matching passenger door lock.. The lady I'm ordering it from acts like she's doing 10 things at once and can't concentrate on my order.. Almost hangs up the phone without taking my payment information..

I get the package today, I ordered it Friday.. thats pretty good shipping time.. BUT

The catelogs and the internet say that the switch is 18, the cylinder & door set is 69.95, and then shipping is about 11.. She even said on the phone that it will be that much. So...

I get the package, the little bag with the cylinder/door lock set comes in and it says the right price of $69.95 but the invoice says 89.95. They charge me $20 more.. I figure oh just a small mistake, easy to handle, not a big deal..

I call up there and say "I ordered some stuff Firday and I got it today and I was charged $20 too high"

"OK whats your name"

"OK spell your last name"

"OK let me check it out"

She comes back

"Why do you say its too high?"

"You charged me $89 for the cylinder/door set and its only $69"

"OK let me check it out"

"OK... Ford changed their prices on us.."

"o...k... so... that means youre actually charging me $89?"

"yep.."

"well I wouldnt have bought from you if I knew it was 89 because everyone else is cheaper!"

"Im sure everyone elses prices have gone up too"

"So this just happened the same day I ordered it?!"

"No... it happened a long time ago..."

"*Grumble grumble* Well.. what do I do?"

"If you don't want it you can send it back for a refund"

"Well I might do that then.." *click*

Thats pretty unprofessional if you ask me... Sounds like a bait and change-the-price-and-see-if-you-can-get-away-with-it.

You'd think if Ford changed the prices on it a long time ago that they would have known to say something about that on the phone.. especially since the catelogs and web page say $69..

Its only $20 but I probably won't shop there again.
That's why I do All my business w/ John's F-Funhundred in Anaheim, CA. https://www.johnsf100.com/5766shop/index.htm

Old 03-08-2006, 04:01 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
I always get a price verification on everything I order, including my final cost with shipping, no matter who I order from.

I like Mid-Fifty, but my experiences with them have always been slow delivery time and what I think to be a little too steep of a charge on shipping and handling, (a 10% shipping/handling charge on all orders). Everything has always been well packaged.....with candy too, lol The way I see it, nothing is cheap when restoring these trucks. You can go somewhere else, but you will probably pay the same price and it's almost always the same part from the same supplier.

Sure send it back. But just remember the return shipping cost and the restocking fee

Last edited by 53fatfndr; 03-08-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Jeff55F100
Senior User
I gotta chime in here. I called Mid-Fifty a couple of weeks ago to check on a steering column from Ididit. The catalog listed a 32" column for $289.00, but had a foot note that a 35" column fits better in a truck that has a MII suspension upgrade. No price for the 35" column in the catalog, but the web site listed the price at $289.00 for both the 32" and the 35".

My question to the folks out there was about the finish on the column, steel or polished. The woman on the other end of the phone quoted me $349.00 for the 35" steel column, and $329.00 for the 32". I asked why the web site and catalog differed? She said "Yeah, the web site is all screwed up. The prices have gone up but the web site does not reflect them."

Now, I've got no problem with price increases, that's the way of the world, but when the most recent catalog and the web site say one thing, and the phone quote is another, I have a bit of an issue.

Not enough to stop ordering from those folks, they have most everything we need, and still at good prices, but they just need to be a little more attentive to what they publish.

BTW: Found a 35" Ididit column for $275.00 including shipping from a vendor on Ebay, got it the other day, drop shipped straight from Ididit. Not bad.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Call back and ask to talk to Sy (the owner). My first introduction to her was in a restaurant parking lot we stopped at for lunch while driving Gracie cross country after purchasing her. The passenger side door lock wouldn't lock, so I had the inspection cover off the door spraying some oil on the mechanism and fooling with it. Suddenly this middle aged woman walks over to me and says: "those door locks sure can be troublesome, can't they?" I must have had a perplexed and somewhat annoyed look on my face since I wanted to get the door locked so we could have some lunch. She then said "Hi! I'm Sy, I own Mid Fifty, saw your truck and wanted to give you one of our catalogs." She looked the truck over as I explained that we had just bought it the day before, and the PO had given us their previous year's catalog and Donna and I had been passing the miles by looking through it and making a list of what we were going to order when we got home, so we sure would appreciate the newer reading material. She said they were returning from a show and that they didn't have any lock parts in the trailer, but wished us well.
Every time I have called, even to ask who they would recommend as a shipper for a pair of fiberglass front fenders I had bought on ebay, I have never felt like they were rushing around or unwilling to talk to me. Maybe you called on a day when the regular crew was out?

PS: you may find that 35" column a little long depending on what box and wheel you are planning on using. I bought their 32" (thru MF!) and found it to be a bit long for me with the Grant wheel and Toyota box. I shortened it 2" myself. It was fairly easy, if you need to shorten yours I can walk you thru it. Ididit wanted 75.00 plus shipping to shorten it for me. Took me ~ 1/2 hr.

Last edited by AXracer; 03-08-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:28 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I returned a set of PS hoses to MF I had bought 3 months earlier that didn't clear my headers, they gave me a full refund less shipping. I thought that was danged fair.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
55forder
Elder User
Ive never had any problems with them either. I did receive two left side shock mounts, and they sent me the right one on my word I would return the wrong one at my convenience. I thought that was great.

Always friendly and helpful on the phone too. They even walked me through my install over the phone.

Rich

Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 PM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
I've usually had good experiences with Mid 50 too. I'm always going back and forth between them and Sacramento Vintage only beacuse I'm also in Ca and they usually get my order to me within days.

I have found that most places do not repeat any prices back to you, or give you a total EVER. I'm sure it doesn't bother most, and I assumed it was because they assumed your fixing a classic you can afford whatever your ordering. I always ALWAYS ask the price on what I'm ordering and ask for a total at the end so there is no suprises. I have caught mistakes that way, and they fix it right then and there.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:38 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JoeSwing78
I've usually had good experiences with Mid 50 too. I'm always going back and forth between them and Sacramento Vintage only beacuse I'm also in Ca and they usually get my order to me within days.

I have found that most places do not repeat any prices back to you, or give you a total EVER. I'm sure it doesn't bother most, and I assumed it was because they assumed your fixing a classic you can afford whatever your ordering. I always ALWAYS ask the price on what I'm ordering and ask for a total at the end so there is no suprises. I have caught mistakes that way, and they fix it right then and there.
You never get a total.........you always ask for the total? Hmm...

All I know is, it doesn't matter who/what/where I'm ordering from, I have always been able to get the final amount before hanging up the phone or placing my order online. I wouldn't order from a place that didn't provide me with my total amount before completing my order.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:44 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
My first bad experience was with COL Flashman's favorite vendor. Most of my first $750 order took four months to deliver. Which might have been acceptable, had I been told the truth at any time during the six or so times I called during the wait so I could hear the next fantasy delivery date. Since then, most of my business has been with MF and Hot Rod's out of Ohio. They are probably about 35-2, but they immediately made good on their errors (or mine for that matter).

Having said all that, you're still right Joe, they should get their prices squared away. Shoot Sy an email if you're still torqued. She's a good lady, as well as any of her staff I ever met.

Quick Reply: My first purchase from Mid-Fifty