1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Supercharger for a 390?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:13 AM
lakecityg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger for a 390?

is there a such thing??

Old 03-08-2006, 01:06 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes.

you can go a couple of different ways with this.

you can go the roots style blower (like in Mad Max), quite common. drawback is that they sit pretty high and will probably require you to cut a hole in the hood and have it sticking out.

You can also go the B&M/Eaton style blower route. same type as they use on modern production cars like the Thunderbird SC, Ford GT, Pontiac Bonnyville. sits lower than the roots style, so might fit under the hood.

the third option is the Paxton style belt driven centrifugal blower. very popular with the Mustang crowd as they sit in front of the engine and blow thru the carb. easier to fit under the hood. Doubt if they make a kit specifically for a 390, but easy to modify an exisitng kit to fit your engine.

all these options are not cheap. Looking at probably $3k to 5k for a complete set-up, plus you will need to replace the pistons with lower compression ones (or really limit the boost of the blower) to work properly.
do a search for B&M products on the internet, as they are one of the bigger manufactures of blowers.
you can also search ebay for used ones.

rgds
Mike

Old 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM
texasbob
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Summit Racing and Jeg's would be a good place to start. They have quite a few superchargers for different applications, none cheap.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:14 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

I like the idea of the Paxton style belt system.

I think some of the early Mustangs had the Paxton blowers, but not sure which ones.

I think, but not possitive, that some of the Paxtons used a plate between the manifold and carb to blow air into the intake mainfold. Otherwise you would have to o-ring the throttle shafts if you used the over the carb type.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:37 PM
lakecityg
Senior User
Originally Posted by mcdonaldm
yes.

you can go a couple of different ways with this.

you can go the roots style blower (like in Mad Max), quite common. drawback is that they sit pretty high and will probably require you to cut a hole in the hood and have it sticking out.

You can also go the B&M/Eaton style blower route. same type as they use on modern production cars like the Thunderbird SC, Ford GT, Pontiac Bonnyville. sits lower than the roots style, so might fit under the hood.

the third option is the Paxton style belt driven centrifugal blower. very popular with the Mustang crowd as they sit in front of the engine and blow thru the carb. easier to fit under the hood. Doubt if they make a kit specifically for a 390, but easy to modify an exisitng kit to fit your engine.

all these options are not cheap. Looking at probably $3k to 5k for a complete set-up, plus you will need to replace the pistons with lower compression ones (or really limit the boost of the blower) to work properly.
do a search for B&M products on the internet, as they are one of the bigger manufactures of blowers.
you can also search ebay for used ones.

rgds
Mike
eatons are cost effective, but how would you get it to fit on top of a carbed 390???

Old 03-08-2006, 03:55 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
it doesn't work that way. the blower fits between the carb and the intake.

I think some of the B&M blowers (probably Eaton also) bolt in place of the carb as they have the same bolt patterns as a standard holley, carter or edelbrock carb so you can use your existing 4 barrell manifold and then the carb bolts on top. But i am not 100% sure if this is correct, so you might need a special intake for this type of blower.
the ones they use on the modern cars are all designed for fuel injected applications so most of them are of the blow thru design (that is they blow air into the manifold as opposed to a draw thru application that sucks air thru a carb first then into the engine). but they are of course all designed for the particular manufacture and engine so would be a lot harder to modify to fit your application.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:36 PM
lakecityg
Senior User
does anyone have any pictures of carbed blower setups??

Old 03-08-2006, 05:25 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
check out the following sites.

www.carcraft.com
www.hotrod.com

go into the technical articles section. both these sites have a few articles on different blowers, applications and styles and advantages and disadvantages of each style.

also the Hot Rod site has a build up of a 390 enginethat was around 450hp.

rgds
Mike

Old 03-08-2006, 05:38 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Anyone know which Mustang had the paxton supercharger in it?

That would be a good pictorial to see what would be required to fit one on an FE block.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:09 AM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
The only factory Mustangs that came with the Paxton superchargers were actually the 65 & 66 Shelby Mustangs. No factory Ford Mustang came with the supercharger as a factory option. Not to say a few dealers might of installed the kit over the counter on new Mustangs, but the factory never did.

Ford did offer the Paxton supercharger on the 55 - 57 (maybe even a few more years after this) Thunderbirds, Rancheros and Fairlanes on the 312 Y block engine. These were the only factory supplied supercharger kits offered by Ford.
( I think they were called McCullogh Superchargers at that time). They quit offering them when Nascar banned their use in racing.

there are tons of kits and articles out there on installing supercharger kits in newer Mustangs, but mostly for the 302, 351 and the 4.6L fuel injected engines.

they are a very straight forward installation. the major hurdle would be to make the brackets to bolt the supercharger to the engine, but with some fabrication skills, this would not be a major problem.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
lakecityg
Senior User
yep, thats the dilemna. i have zero fab skills!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 PM
390Paxton
New User
Paxton for a 390 FE

Hey guys, I have a Paxton centrifugal blower on my 390. I might be willing to sell it if the price was right. I have it set up using a Holley 650 DP and 406 sidewinder intake..

I also have a set of 427LR heads all machined up and ready to go. I was going to install them when my current std 390 heads need a valve job. Maybe someone needs them more than I.

wh

Old 09-16-2009, 03:02 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's a blow though and a draw through style centrifugal blower style . the blow through is the more common one now thanx to the advent of modern efi and engine management systems . they are as everyone know's capable of turning a mild mannered wimp into a holy terror in no time . i don't remember where but i did see a kit offered somewhere , and it had an efi conversion that could be purchased with it making it a little more " efficient" shall we say . personally i'm old school ........... i'd put a hole in my hood and let mine hang out ..................

Old 09-16-2009, 04:05 PM
LM14
Senior User
Originally Posted by lakecityg
yep, thats the dilemna. i have zero fab skills!
To be brutally honest, if you don't have any fabrication skills (or probably the equipment either) then keep it simple and stay away from a blower. They aren't worth the cost or the wear on the motor. It takes tuning, nothing is really a "bolt on" and there is a bit of constant maintenance required. I have friends that have had 6-71 blowers on cars and were glad to get away from them. Look neat but not really worth the hassles in the real world. By time you upgrade the fuel system, cooling system, pistons and cam change, really good ignition, all new plumbing (read that as expensive) as stated above, you would be lucky to keep it in the $2-5000 range. Sounds like you would have to hire most of this work done by others.

JMO,
SPark

Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM
deyomatic
Senior User
http://www.theturboforums.com/

This site has tons of info on forced induction...go to the "message forums" button, then USE and OVERUSE the green "Search" button. Somewhere in the mission statement it says that nobody will do your homework for you, and if you have a question you will need to be willing to do the work to solve it. The search function is among the best I've ever used on any message forum. Just beware, I've hear the regular users over there will rip you a new one if you don't play by the rules or haven't tried to search for the answer yourself. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Supercharger for a 390?