The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Uniforms...eh...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:28 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uniforms...eh...

Ok...well it's comin' up in my town. Start of "standardized dress" (everything's gotta be politically correct these days) next year. Any colour polo shirts and slacks or skirts. Year after that (which I really don't care about since I'll be gone), it's gotta be school colour shirts (I hate our colours).

They're pretty lax here about hair and stuff like that so I guess that's a plus.

Anybody else got uniforms around here? Do you like it? How good/bad is it? Are they strict on enforcing it?

I just don't get it. This is Texas, why can't we wear blue jeans?

Old 03-05-2006, 09:40 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
We had 'optional' uniforms in elementary school and my mom made me wear them in the 4th grade.. haha. But i refused in the 5th grade, lol.

I didn't really fair to well, I don't think they even do it anymore. They'd have a hard time getting the students to follow this where i live. They try to stop us from wearing coats and hats and certain other headwear but most of the teachers agree that its pretty ridiculous and don't enforce it.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:44 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
I'm hopin' they'll relax it a bit here, but I dunno. If they'd just give us jeans, I'd be perfectly happy with the rest of it. Seems more and more schools around here are going to this.

Last year they started makin' us wear little id badges, they enforce it like it's going to save lives.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:04 PM
blue96psd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wore a uniform everyday in highschool kakhi pants white button down shirt and a tie there wasn't one time in my 4 yrs where my shirts tucked in tie up around ym neck or shirt buttoned all the way. there not bad u just gotta make the best of it

Old 03-06-2006, 06:42 AM
Aerotrash
Freshman User
I've worn a uniform everyday since 1st grade. You get used to it. I personally think its a good idea for k-12's. Obviously being a military high school, you could say they enforced the uniform pretty harshly.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:11 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
haha I'd love to put some of the people at my school through military HS.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:21 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
When I started high school there was NO dress code. At all.

By the time I graduated, the dress code read "No visible underwear and areas traditionally covered by underwear must be covered."

I didn't think that alteration was sufficient to get too worked up about, but I think there were a few kids who did.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
When I was in high school (1995-1999) there was no uniforms for us. It was kind of nice.

But, the thought of knowing EXACTLY what you are going to wear to school (a uniform) kind of appealed to me!

-Matt

Old 03-06-2006, 09:12 PM
spidk43
Senior User
we have to wear ID cards on color/grade coded lanyards around our necks blah blah blah no "defacing" or anything like that.

Dresscode wise, nothing "inappropriate" can be showing fingertip length skirts
No shirts showing obscene graphics, illegal activities (we can't wear beer shirts) or anything playboy or whatever. "nothing that connotes gang membership," so sagging pants.
we have a page long list on dress code. I think maybe if people would just use comomn sense, it wouldn't be a problem. Bt everybody insists on "expressing themselves"

What blue96psd said was completely true. You can wear a tie with the top button undone, and wear a shirt untucked. It isn't that big a deal.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
never wore a uniform to school, but i do wear one everyday at work. you'll have to wear one sometime what better time than now, lol.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:32 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
Our only uniform for my school is that you come to school with clothes on, thankfully we have no uniforms, untill next year I think, but I dont care, I graduate in may...haha

Old 03-10-2006, 04:54 AM
RotGrubestier44
Elder User
I go to Lincoln Tech, and we have to wear a certain uniform. If you are an auto or diesel guy, you get dark blue work pants and lighter blue button up work shirts. If you are collision, you get the same dark blue work pants, but a grey button up shirt. The guys who are going for an Associates Degree get all long sleeve shirts, and in our management classes we have to wear white button up shirts. Needless to say, most of the time those long sleeves either get rolled up or cut off and hemed up. We are allowed to wear other work uniforms as long as it is vehicle industry related. We aren't allowed to wear non LTI hats in the building, no hats in the classroom, and we have to wear safety glasses in the shop. I don't mind it because it sets everyone pretty much equal.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:06 AM
faygo4juggaloz
New User
I am strongly against any kind of uniforms. I think what you wear is a form of public speech.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:38 PM
spidk43
Senior User
faygo, have you ever stopped and looked at the other side of the equation? Have you tried to see that good that can come out of wearing a uniform? When you go to McDonalds or any fast food joint, would you rather see the workers in or out of uniform?

I personally find it comforting when I'm in a Lowes or Home Depot and can't find something or want to find it quick that I can quickly identify personnel and ask for help.

Uniforms look professional, and if you don't experience them in high school, you're bound to find them no matter what you go into as a profession.

In the Dental Hygeine and Nursing professions, they wear "scrubs". Scrubs come in many colors and patterns.

At the catholic High school (which I dont attend) they have to wear a shirt and tie and khaki pants or slacks. You can wear whatever colors you want.

At my dad's work (Physical therapist) they can wear any style solid shirt as long as it has the office logo on it and they wear dress pants/khakis. Once again, alowing self expression.

ANY kind of uniforms? Would you want our soldiers out there in whatever clothes they felt like wearing? not having a clue who was friend or foe?

What about team sports, no uniforms? not even shirts and skins? you're ahainst that too?

Just trying to open your mind and broaden your spectrum.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:47 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Thoughts from an old guy . . .

OK, I'm probably too old to be lurking in this forum, but here's what I think.
When I was in grade school, I used to get teased about the "uncool" clothes I had. If my school had uniforms, it would have saved me a lot of torment.

Quick Reply: Uniforms...eh...