Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 11:34 AM
bkgriffin77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Filter

My budy has a 5.4 Just wanted to know what is the best Air filter setup to go with?

Old 03-05-2006, 12:53 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I use the stock assembly with a K&N filter myself. It actually pulls cool air in from the fenderwell where as the other kits can pull in heated underhood air.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:23 PM
karenj
Senior User
I use the stock air box with the K&N filter as well, works great and have had no problems. Been useing it now for three years.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:43 PM
pronstar
Elder User
I don't think there is a best setup.

The factory box flows quite well.

The aftermarket units are just filters on a stick, so to speak, not really too much difference there, IMHO.

If pressed, I'd say the Volant. It's quite similar to the factory setup - an enclosed box that pulls cool air from the fenderwell.

I've seen dyno numbers that show small gains or none at all for many of the "filter on a stick" setups. Up to 12hp, as I recall, for one dyno test that was done on an Air Force one with an open-element filter (filter is exposed underhood).

If I had to go back, I never would have spent money on the K&N filtercharger/ filter on a stick setup - I'd have just put a K&N filter into the stock airbox. Again, just my opinion, but that money would have been better spent on something like gears or e-fans, which yielded a real difference for a variety of situations, not just a "hey I think it pulls harder" difference that may or may not be measurable.