1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Input and or suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:02 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Input and or suggestions

Ok guys, here it is. I have been in the Ford trucks circle since I was born. Growing up, my family has owned dozens. We are a tried and trued 53-56 Ford truck family. Through the years, my experiences with these examples of automotive marvel, have taught me a lot, and I can honestly say that I do know more than the average person on this particular subject. I have tried and failed many times in attempts to launch my own business involving these trucks, and other classic American autos. I have decided that I may not be able to start and run my own shop, but I would like to do business on a regular basis involving these things. My question is, does any one have any ideas as to what I should do in the way of business. My thoughts were leading towards a joint venture, allowing me to focus on the Big Jobs, and building custom Big Jobs, and allowing a partner, or partners to focus on the smaller sized trucks. Any ideas, or offers, let's talk.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
kdmcinnes
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a hard one, The way I have seen my Father n' Law make a living with hot rods was to buy decent vehicles(In his case all mopars) That were pretty much there and or in good shape. Take it apart, detail it and rebuild it, then sell the vehicle. Its hard to make money when you specialize in one type of vehicle (From My Opinion).

Kyle

Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Duly noted. I do agree. Thank you for your input.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see how anybody could make a living out of dealing with just the old Ford pickups. I see rod shops here and there that deal with alot of different hot rods and cars, that seem to do ok. Location is a big factor too, I would think. Alot of hot rod shops are in California and in general, areas that have a large population and other businesses locally to aid in a restoration, such as a chrome shop or a powder coater.

In my brutally, honest opinion, I don't think it could be done. There are only a few people I have come across that like the big, BIG, Ford trucks like you have, and they are on this board. I haven't seen any on the road, and I would say those that are interested in them, do their own work. However, that may be out of necessity, as in there is nobody who really knows them and they can take them to. Lets face it, these trucks are becoming a bit more scarce every year...with that comes less of a demand for anything in the way of parts or service.

I don't blame you for wanting to do what you love, that's what everybody should do

Old 03-02-2006, 10:08 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Again, I do agree. This is why I am seeking input. This is also why I do not have my own restoration shop (yet). I don't know, I guess I've been watching too much overhaulin' and trick my truck. Oh well.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Joe,
I think you could probably do it, butI think you would have to suppliment it by dabbling with the F1's and F100's to carry you through the lean times between the big jobs. Sorta like Chuck's Trucks.

I admire your ambition and dedication to the big jobs and I wish you well
Bobby

Old 03-02-2006, 11:21 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Oh, I would certainly work on any other older car or truck, I was just thinking more towards having the space and equipment to actually build Big Jobs. Or, a multi shop facility that has a seperate area just for building big trucks.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:36 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you are talking strictly restoration and service, I'd think you'd need to be somewhere there is a number of these trucks, or develop a reputation as the best person in the business by doing one or two so perfectly that you can enter and win a few prestigious awards and/or get it featured in a few magazines. Another way would be to build them up to modern standards and sell them at a competitive price to new to contractors etc as a working advertisement. I could be all wrong since I don't have interest in the big models, but my perception is that it's a very small market.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:12 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thoughts have been in the aquisition and tinkering of like year models of vehicles.
Example: 48 - 50 Ford Trucks or 42 - 48 Ford Cars, or any other like year groups.
I would purchase any and all that I could within reason, strip, swap out and assemble the best parts into complete running vehicles, complete vehicles minus engine/transmissions (Always questionable items), and compile the rest of the salvage parts into inventory for later use or sale.
I don't know how good a living one could make from this, but I would sure as heck have fun doing it.

Having given my idesa I forbid you to consider the specific years and models I mentioned in my examples.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:50 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having your own business is very tough these days particularly in the hot rod and restoration business. The competition is stiff and there are so many people out there competing for your business. Even though I live in California, my opinion of having a shop for the 53-56 trucks would be great, however even in highly populated areas like Los Angeles, there are not that many trucks of that year running around. Of those who do own these trucks, most do the work themselves or have specialty shops do work they can't do, for example, upholstery, paint, engine work. In addition, there are too many big names out there that have already established a reputation for great work. People who want to pay to have their truck completed will take them to long distances to have these builders with a reputation or name build their trucks. I personally think if you were to open a specialized business such as body and paint, engine work, or upholstery, you'd have a better chance at a successful business. It also depends on how much money you want to make. The other thing that is killing businesses is the ability of access to the internet to purchase parts cheaper and get information as to what to do in fixing your truck. If you decide to open a shop, let us know, I'll send some business your way. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2006, 12:19 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
You are in a good location for rust-free parts - I intend to spend some time in central and eastern Oregon myself this summer looking for a big window cab.

Living where you do I would start a vintage parts company - a junkyard for old ford parts. I would dismantle them and sell everything from fenders to cab corners to wire looms. Sell on the internet and Ebay - check out ebay seller "custom-only" as he is doing this. See the seller of item 4618166928.

As I built my business I would do a few big trucks to use in the business, and to sell. You could even come up with some custom engine/tranny packages with mounts and crossmembers that you could sell as a package deal - used motor, tranny, and the kit to mount it in a specified truck.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
low54
Elder User
I admire your desire. From experience, my brother had owned and opperated a auto body, salvage, paint, media blasting business and dealership for 15 yrs. He hired a few guys here and there specializing in various areas. My brother however, did most the work. He also, during the lean times hit the pavement. His success was the media blasting, which he made it mobile. The auto, was never specialized to a particular make or model. He was doing alot of wreaks and painting. He was even restoring old tractors for a collector. Is there a market in Central Oregon? Well, we know there's money and alot of retired folks...Again as said, building a reputation is huge, 97 is great access to Redmond. The up coming show at Deschutes would be an excelent place to knock around the idea and bounce off some locals & oldtimers.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:45 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by low54
Is there a market in Central Oregon?
Sorry, did not intend to imply the sales would be in central Oregon, just that it was a good location to find vintage parts and does not have too many building codes to fight. Sales would be over the internet and phone, with the buyers being all over the country.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:55 PM
low54
Elder User
Oh, I agree, internet sales are key...even if the shop had a fabricating secton...some of the parts are few and far between. Central Oregon is wide open for great ideas like this, but sales definitly would have to be focused outside the area.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:25 PM
IBeam
Senior User
The marvel of the Internet is an option here.

For example, I have a neighbor that just moved in Utah from Calif. Before he was a Service Manager for a Honda(motorcycle) Dealer. He decided a few months back to start selling off all his old parts on Ebay and clean out his yard so the wife would get off his back. It ended up being a hidden gold mine for him. In the first month, he made over $25,000 from used parts. He contacted his friends that hoard motorcycle parts, and bought them, and sold them as well. He made enough money in 6 months he sold his house in Calif, moved to this small town in Utah where I live, and bought a house and a local Mechanic shop on Main street, and bought a Franchise in Arctic Cat line. He still sells on ebay. He picks up all the old bikes he can and parts them out.

The key is the Internet, be it parting and selling items, or just start a web sight that will advertise and show off what you do.

Quick Reply: Input and or suggestions