General Automotive Discussion

New Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Toyota

This has likely been all over the forum. The following is a blip on the new Toyota ... wow ... http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/auto...ota/page1.html

I was impressed ... 350hp, 10k tow ....

This will be a real competitor ... Ouch

Old 03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
92merc
Tuned
HP figures not officially released yet. V6 still "standard" engine from old Tundra. And from the pictures I've seen of the frame, I sure ain't towing 10k with that.

So all that and besides being butt ugly, it's a great truck! :-)

Old 03-02-2006, 03:59 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Won't even be a competitor any more than the previous tundra.

BTW, 295 is the official HP. Long ways from 350.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=465207
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=459838

Last edited by superrangerman2002; 03-02-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:06 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well this will certainly threaten the Nissan Titan and provide another choice for those looking to buy something other then from the big three, can't wait to see what Ford is going to comes-up with to combat it.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:40 PM
LED ZEP
Freshman User
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Won't even be a competitor any more than the previous tundra.

BTW, 295 is the official HP. Long ways from 350.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=465207
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=459838

I read that the 4.7 liter engine was the 295 hp.

And that their 5.7 liter engine is going to be like 375 to 385 hp going by the new soon to be standard way of rating engine for HP.

For example this new rating system will make the Dodge Hemi way less then the 345 HP that they are now claiming it is.
So 5.7- 375 to 385 hp and over 400ft lbs. torque with a 6 speed tranny.

Ford's answer ?? a 6.2 liter V8 and new trans at about the same HP and torque as the new toyota, and also as 4.4 liter deisel engine from their VOLVOL line up if they ever go that way.

Led Zep.

Last edited by LED ZEP; 03-02-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
markgilmore1322
Senior User
Anyone that tries to tow 10k with a half ton pickup is nuts.

And yeah, it's ugly!

Old 03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
JKBrad
Received 801 Likes on 586 Posts
That back door/window is what ruins the looks of that truck more than anything.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
Hmmm ... I don't see it as ugly. I wonder if it will have the seating more prone or have it more sports car like as you see in most other toyotas. I like the driving position of the Ford. I don't care for it on the Tundra or the Tacoma.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 92merc
HP figures not officially released yet. V6 still "standard" engine from old Tundra. And from the pictures I've seen of the frame, I sure ain't towing 10k with that.

So all that and besides being butt ugly, it's a great truck! :-)
Just watched a DVD from the Ford dealership about the new F150. The part about frames is very interesting - they show a cutaway of several makes. The Ford frame looks huge.

That Tundra front clip reminds me of a 50 Chevy truck front end.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 PM
edgl
Elder User
The new Toyota is ugly. Can't the Japanese make a truck that does not look like an American truck. The Toyota truck looks like a cross between a Dodge Ram, and a Ford Super Duty. I will still take my 06 F350 dually over a Toyota any day. My Super Duty is my work truck, and it works really well. I enjoy driving it.
Ed G

Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
BruceFX4
Senior User
Unfortunately, this illegitimate child of a Tundra and a Dodge Megacab will sell. One thing Toyota does well is learn from theirs and others mistakes. Many Toyota zealots will buy this truck as it will be comparable to big three trucks which the Tundra never was and many others still believe Toyota builds the best vehicles.

The best thing that can happen is Ford will counter with improved drivetrains and quality to keep or gain market share. No matter how we feel about Toyota, I bet Ford management is very worried about this new truck.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Shawn1024
Senior User
From a style point of view. Don't like the rear cab doors. Not sure why they made the glass so small, and the door handles different from the front? It just doesn't flow asceticlly. Not a big fan of the front grill either. Overall, not a horrible looking truck, just not as sexy as my 05 Lariat S Cab.

Shawn

Old 03-03-2006, 11:42 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceFX4
The best thing that can happen is Ford will counter with improved drivetrains and quality to keep or gain market share. No matter how we feel about Toyota, I bet Ford management is very worried about this new truck.
Very worried? I doubt it. I can maybe see concerned though.

Even if Toyota cranked out to full capacity on it's Tundra line, they'd still be at one 1/3 of Ford sales for last year.

They'd need to build 2 more factories just to compete.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:49 PM
efiguero
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like they have the floor shifter option, that was one of the selling points I loved about my F150 FX4. I had not seen that in any other full sized truck. Copy Cats, hehe.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:34 PM
billindenver
Freshman User
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Very worried? I doubt it. I can maybe see concerned though.

Even if Toyota cranked out to full capacity on it's Tundra line, they'd still be at one 1/3 of Ford sales for last year.

They'd need to build 2 more factories just to compete.

You seriously don't think they are very worried? Have you seen the layoffs and cash problems GM and Ford are having lately? If that toyota takes even a small share (and it will, do not fool yourself) of Ford's cash cow truck market....Ford will not be happy. You are damn skippy they are worried, and they should be. The tundra is a well made truck, though far to light duty for me...I have friends driving them and they don't see the shop often. Now, put that on steroids and have it out pull an F-150 and some people are going to jump on it. Hell the F-150 is slow in its class as it is, slower than the suburban I replaced with it.

I personally like to see the competition from the japs. It forces the americans into dealing with the problems they have. Union high school drop outs making more money, better benefits and more vacation while sweeping the factory floor than the engineers that design the vehicles (yep, that was me for a few years). With that kind of labor capital output they can't afford to engineer anything. We drove a honda accord into the chrysler headquarters R&D dept...tore it apart, reverse engineered the module we needed and returned it (rental car). We did that because there was no money to engineer it. THAT is what the unions are doing to american engineering..and the reason I left. Life testing is done by the consumer now, leading to an unreal amount of safety issues in the field. I was on the reaction team that ran out to investigate brand new cars burning to the ground, or air bags popping on the highway and any number of other issues due to imcomplete life testing. When I was in the field it was 8 months from design to IN YOUR CAR. Know how long that lead time is for the japanese? 4 1/2 years. That is the difference in quality. Yes, they have been building their trucks as light duty and that is causing them some difficulties, but they are learning...and that should, does and will scare the hell out of the big three. I could go on for hours on this subject. I still drive american (work truck, car is german) but those days are numbered if the japanese beef up their trucks while the americans sit on their heals. Yeah brother, Ford is worried. They would be utterly ignorant not to be.

Bill
05 lariat scab

Quick Reply: New Toyota