1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

loss of power in '92 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 AM
prmac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loss of power in '92 Ranger

My 92 Ranger with 4L V6 was running well until I started it a couple mornings ago and suddenly not all was well. There is a noise like a blowing wind that gets louder as I accelerate and stops if I let off the gas. In addition to this I lose speed on he highway when climbing a hill no matter how much gas I give it. I have been losing coolant lately that I was going to tackle in the spring (I'm on the north shore of Lake Huron so it's a bit cold right now) but I don't think this is the problem. I have been running it too often with the gas below a quarter tank so I will be changing the fuel filter hoping that resolves the problem. I am an hour away from the parts store (mostly uphill) so if there are any other things I should check before I head to the store tomorrow I could really use any suggestions.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Rags
Senior User
Exclamation

Just a guess! but check your clutch fan. sounds like it could be engaged all the time. It should engage when the engine is first started cold and release and coast after a few min's .

When it is engaged it makes a roaring noise and hurts your power somewhat.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:35 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll second the last post. If your little Ranger suddenly sounds like a big honkin semi, chances are your clutch fan is engaged all the time. With the truck off, see if the fan will spin freely. If not, time to hit up a junk yard!

Old 03-02-2006, 09:56 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Yep, I'll third it, sounds like the clutch fan.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you get this sound when you are sitting still, and just rev the engine? If you do, then I agree it could be a locked up fan clutch. But, this problem will not make you loose coolant, which might be a more serious problem. Your vintage of 4.0L had a problem with the lower intake bolts coming loose. When this happens, you will loose coolant, and oil.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Try and figure out where that coolant leak is coming from. Wash the block up and the keep an eye on it after driving.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
Try and figure out where that coolant leak is coming from. Wash the block up and the keep an eye on it after driving.
Zach, if the coolant leak is due to loose manifold bolts, it is usually ingested, and you won't see it on the exterior of the block, heads, etc. ......

Old 03-03-2006, 06:53 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Well...I'm hoping it's NOT from the manifold bolts. Just trying to provide him as many options as possible, since there are lots of places he could have a leak.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:46 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Sounds like you have more than one probem here.

I agree with Bob, the coolant loss is a more serious problem & should be run down right away.

You didn't say if you have signs of a external coolant leak, but If it isn't & the engine is ingesting coolant, that sure isn't good for it, nor the O2 sensors & cat converter. The O2 sensors can be taken out by a surprisingly small ammount of coolant, they just aren't tolerant of it at all!!!!

Check the leak & fan out & let us know what you find.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
prmac
New User
Hi and thanks to all those who are helping. I do believe I have two problems.

The fan does not turn when the truck is off so this is a problem. When getting under the truck, it looks to be the lower rad hose leaking. I will replace that today. I am losing oil but I think that is from the oil pan gasket which I will replace in the spring (I'm loosing about a litre(yea, I know; Canadiana talk) every thusand miles or so.

There are not many wreckers in this neck of the woods. What other fords or Ranger years fit this engine? Will I harm it driving it to go gor parts?- All highway driving.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:43 AM
pawpaw
Well it's good to hear the coolant leak isn't serious & the fan problem is addressable.

On your oil leak, you might try torquing up the oil pan fastners, in case some have loosened up in the cold weather, maybe if your lucky it'll stop it or at least slow the leak down some, until the weather warms up enough to work outside.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:41 PM
michaelbarry
Senior User
I'll second the last post. If your little Ranger suddenly sounds like a big honkin semi, chances are your clutch fan is engaged all the time. With the truck off, see if the fan will spin freely. If not, time to hit up a junk yard!

Old 03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
It doesn't matter if it's an auto or manual, the fan can stick either way.

At least the coolant leak isn't serious as was said.

How much oil can we hold in litres? A litre per thousand miles surely does sound like a lot to me. With a 4.0L, I'm willing to bet any 4.0L oil pan from a Ranger or Exploder of similar year will fit.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:42 PM
pawpaw
prmac, also check your PCV valve & make sure it isn't clogged or iced up, as that could cause excessive internal crankcase pressure & force oil out of seal & gasket weak spots.

michaelbarry, as has been said, on the fan thing, it doesn't make any difference if it's a straight or automatic, the fans are all the same.

Having it locked up all the time is noisey, wastes engine power, puts more stress on the water pump bearings, fan blades, belt, your nerves & soon your wallet!!!! LOL

Sounds like you too would be a good canidate for a salvage yard visit!!!! Good hunting!!!!

Old 03-05-2006, 04:49 PM
michaelbarry
Senior User
I can turn my fan by hand with the truck off...that is how it's supposed to be, isn't it?..

Quick Reply: loss of power in '92 Ranger