future of bio-diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:25 PM
woogs
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
future of bio-diesel

how do you go about investing in bio-diesel? I'm just 20, with less sense than a mule but I think it's gonna do nothing but get more popular as more people discover it. Heck I'd invest in Fabman's setup, if I could.
So do I have to find a company producing Bio and buy stock? or partner up with somebody and make our own? I don't have the nessesary time to put into that though. How should I go about investing?
-thanks, matt

Old 03-01-2006, 07:02 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
In our area there are a few new companies starting up. They are going to the large farmers for investment money because they will also supply the beans to make the bio.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:59 PM
16diesel
Senior User
on tv the other day i saw a new form of diesel made of highly refined coal being pushed by a govener (not sure what state). aparently the technology has been around since WWII. the fuel suposible burns cleaner, improves performance, mpg, reduces wear and tear. but produces 2 times the amount of CO2 as regular diesel. theirs no telling how far the tech will go but there may be a bit of a battle between this new fuel and bio diesel in the next 15+ years.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:00 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by woogs
how do you go about investing in bio-diesel? I'm just 20, with less sense than a mule but I think it's gonna do nothing but get more popular as more people discover it. Heck I'd invest in Fabman's setup, if I could.
So do I have to find a company producing Bio and buy stock? or partner up with somebody and make our own? I don't have the nessesary time to put into that though. How should I go about investing?
-thanks, matt
Hi Matt: If I were your age I would invest in Bio stock. There are only 3 publicly traded companys at this time. I bought a "small" amount of their stock last year and it's gone up 240 percent since sept. I can't get past the feeling that biodiesel is going to be around for along time, and those that get in on the ground floor will reap the rewards. In just my last 2 years I can't beleave how much demand would change my life.

I talked with a farmer in Washington State that uses 25,000 gal of D-2 PER DAY for 100 days per year! How would you like to have that fuel bill! He called to find out if he could use glycerol in his 800HP boilers{4}. It was my job to tell him that there isn't that much glycerol on the whole west coast. I signed a consulting contract with him and am now designing a system that will use cannola in rotation with his Mint and supply 75 percent of his boiler needs. This should save him about $1.5 MILLION per year, and he won't need to make bio because we'll convert his boilers to burn SVO. We'll also build a small bio plant that will alow him to make his own bio for his tractors.

I may be somewhat biased, but I think there is a real chance to make some money, I just wish I was your age...............

FABMANDELUX

Old 03-03-2006, 01:32 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well a canola/mint rotation wouldn't be to bad. Whats he getting 5 yrs on a mint stand? with the exception of I would like to see a grass added into the rotation that would definatly work. Curious what is he doing with the mint mash? using it for cattle feed? if he is just spreading it back, I am thinking that might be a good source of biomass, maybe for use in the making of pellets (besides you could market it to the yuppies as having a nice mint smell to the exhaust on thier pellet stoves)
What I really want to know is can you give me info on what your using for a burner or whatever on your glycerol heater for your shop, I am building a new shop this year and would be interested in info on using the glycerol from my biodiesel to heat it, so any info you could point me to would be great.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:30 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
well a canola/mint rotation wouldn't be to bad. Whats he getting 5 yrs on a mint stand? with the exception of I would like to see a grass added into the rotation that would definatly work. Curious what is he doing with the mint mash? using it for cattle feed? if he is just spreading it back, I am thinking that might be a good source of biomass, maybe for use in the making of pellets (besides you could market it to the yuppies as having a nice mint smell to the exhaust on thier pellet stoves)
What I really want to know is can you give me info on what your using for a burner or whatever on your glycerol heater for your shop, I am building a new shop this year and would be interested in info on using the glycerol from my biodiesel to heat it, so any info you could point me to would be great.
He is now in a 4 year rotation with mint, then spuds, then corn, and finely wheat. And yes he's using the mash for cattle feed.

I am using a 50-50 mix of glycerol and WMO in a modified "Turk" burner to heat my shop. Works very well, but I don't like having to clean the pot out every coupla days. I just built my first "babington" burner and will start to experiment with different firing rates. The babington should only require 1 or 2 cleanings per season, and I can fully automate it for self ignition. The turk has to be monitered so I have to shut it down at night. My new system will heat not only the biodiesel processer but also my shop and house. I'm building it in it's own 10'x12' block building between my shop and house. It will heat water that will be pumped to the different buildings.

FABMANDELUX

Old 03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
Hey Fabman,

What's the name of the three companies that are trading publicly. I wouldn't mind taking a look at these.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:04 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
check out this website
www biodieselinvesting.com/publicly-traded-american-biodiesel-stocks/

Old 03-06-2006, 11:45 AM
bterry
Elder User
I friend of mine is building a 10,000 gal per day plant right now. Not publically traded at this point, but he might want some more help. I'm in the process of starting a trucking company for the oil/fuel right now.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Diesel Fiend
Junior User
Originally Posted by 16diesel
on tv the other day i saw a new form of diesel made of highly refined coal being pushed by a govener (not sure what state). aparently the technology has been around since WWII. the fuel suposible burns cleaner, improves performance, mpg, reduces wear and tear. but produces 2 times the amount of CO2 as regular diesel. theirs no telling how far the tech will go but there may be a bit of a battle between this new fuel and bio diesel in the next 15+ years.
Yeah, a german by the name of Rundolf Diesel developed the diesel engine during the second world war, and originally tried to run it on coal dust. The motor exploded, I believe, and then he discovered diesel oil.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
I do not see the need for a battle between BD and coal based diesel or for that matter between either of these and diesel produced using natural gas. There is room for all of them.
I believe that the void between current automotive power plant technology and future automotive powerplants lies in the switch to diesel engines and Bio/Manufactured diesel rather than the "FlexFuel" (ethanol-gasoline mix) currently being touted. Diesel produced in these ways is considerably less expensive to produce than ethanol and more environmentally friendly. I do not know about the coal based diesel but BD and methane (natural gas) based diesel are virtually pollution free, no contaminants like sulpher, and BD actually reduces CO2, a green house gas, because growing the oil seed crop consumes approx 4 times as much CO2 than is released by burning BD.