1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

T-5 to Flathead adapter info?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:10 AM
cts1954
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clyde

I have been working on my T5 conversion to my flathead, I bought the plans off e-bay and cut an old 4 speed tranny apart, milled it and it is in the frame assembled now. I cut the old crossmember on each side of the T5 and have a new crossmember built with help from the Forum. Without the original crossmember the frame is weak, try stepping on the running board support and watch the top of the frame move. I plan on putting an angle cross support across the top of the T5 to fix this and also make a piece to tie the two halves of the old crossmember together underneath the T5. I have pictures on my gallery and will be adding more soon of the new crossmember, which turned out great. The hole assembly is a little busy looking but once everything is painted and the cab is back on the results should be a smooth running truck at 60 mph at a reasonable RPM.

Let me know if you need any more info or pictures

wgc

Old 03-14-2008, 07:12 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
I bought the same plans to modify a 4 speed but ended up buying the milled adapter from Dwight via eBay. It's a beautiful part and should work just fine. I also plan to "Beef" up the torsional rigidity once I modify the original crossmember by installing a "top to bottom" crossmember in the new position. May not be as strong as the original but I'm not planning on hauling anything other than my butt (big enough unfortunately) and I'll tie top and bottom rails together somehow. Shame is I have all the parts then got busy and haven't gotten to the point of doing the install. Just had to move my shop to a new location and hopefully I can get back to work soon.

OilLeaks

Old 03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post some pictures of your crossmember modification.

Originally Posted by OilLeaks
I bought the same plans to modify a 4 speed but ended up buying the milled adapter from Dwight via eBay. It's a beautiful part and should work just fine. I also plan to "Beef" up the torsional rigidity once I modify the original crossmember by installing a "top to bottom" crossmember in the new position. May not be as strong as the original but I'm not planning on hauling anything other than my butt (big enough unfortunately) and I'll tie top and bottom rails together somehow. Shame is I have all the parts then got busy and haven't gotten to the point of doing the install. Just had to move my shop to a new location and hopefully I can get back to work soon.

OilLeaks

Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
MAJ Laphroaig
New User
T5 to 239

I am Ford (60's) but new to flatty's. I have a 49 M47 Truck (Mercury) and is completely stock at this time. Drove Emmie from Ormstown, Quebec to Cypress CA. I had big *****. Fun part, my wife was with me. What a hoot that trip was. I have a T5 from an 89 Mustang, just purchased the Hogshead bell for a stock 4 speed so i can use stock clutch. I have seen several articles concerning te swap and read Oil Leaks and hope i can get more answers. Is there a specific list of parts that I can obtain for this swap. Personal delimma i know but my wife does not understand the need to work on a vehicle. I do not have a garage I have an attached storage unit. Working on the truck in the driveway for an extended period of time is a no-go. I know what all are thinking and I have had the same thoughts but it is what it is. So to make my pain as short as possible, if a list of parts (pilot shaft bearing, sleeve for throw out bearing, clutch, spedo cable etc,etc). It seems that with all that has been done, there could bea good parts list. I am trying to obtain most if not all parts prior to tear down, minimize machining, and decrease the time on jack stands. I am an eternal optimist. Essayons

Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Look at the pictures of my install and if you have any questions PM me...
1951 Ford F1 4x2 - S-10 5 Speed Transmission

Originally Posted by MAJ Laphroaig
I am Ford (60's) but new to flatty's. I have a 49 M47 Truck (Mercury) and is completely stock at this time. Drove Emmie from Ormstown, Quebec to Cypress CA. I had big *****. Fun part, my wife was with me. What a hoot that trip was. I have a T5 from an 89 Mustang, just purchased the Hogshead bell for a stock 4 speed so i can use stock clutch. I have seen several articles concerning te swap and read Oil Leaks and hope i can get more answers. Is there a specific list of parts that I can obtain for this swap. Personal delimma i know but my wife does not understand the need to work on a vehicle. I do not have a garage I have an attached storage unit. Working on the truck in the driveway for an extended period of time is a no-go. I know what all are thinking and I have had the same thoughts but it is what it is. So to make my pain as short as possible, if a list of parts (pilot shaft bearing, sleeve for throw out bearing, clutch, spedo cable etc,etc). It seems that with all that has been done, there could bea good parts list. I am trying to obtain most if not all parts prior to tear down, minimize machining, and decrease the time on jack stands. I am an eternal optimist. Essayons

Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Finnflat
Freshman User
T-5

Originally Posted by 51ford fan
Look at the pictures of my install and if you have any questions PM me...
1951 Ford F1 4x2 - S-10 5 Speed Transmission
Hi, I'm building a '51 F1 and have done the T-5 swap. I have some pictures but cannot post due to the free profile. I had pics in the www.bonusbuilt.com. What ever happened to that site ?
Anyway, my solution was to cut the crossmember and make a new centerpiece into it to keep the structure strong.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:35 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Finnflat
Hi, I'm building a '51 F1 and have done the T-5 swap. I have some pictures but cannot post due to the free profile. I had pics in the www.bonusbuilt.com. What ever happened to that site ?
Anyway, my solution was to cut the crossmember and make a new centerpiece into it to keep the structure strong.

Hello again, Bonus built web site has been down for some time (Unfortunatly) there was some really good info on there too. wish I had saved some of the info.....
there was a post or two about it a while ago but can't find it now. our search feature is finicky. I think after you have posted 25 posts or replies you can use PM and other features are fully available to you.

I would love to see pictures of your t-5 cross member etc as I will be doing the same thing soon and will be contemplating the same support structure you mentioned. right now I have the lower cross member built to support trans but was wondering what to do on the top of frame rails to maybe reinforce them?? I'll take some pictures of what I've got and post it.

Josh

Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
I also had to cut out the Crossmember, I used 3/8"X2" Flat Stock whent frame down and across under the Trans. It's needed to keep the Running Boards and frame from flexing.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Finnflat
Freshman User
I will post pics as soon as I can. My F1 is coming along OK. Last week I attached the cab to the frame. My T5 adapter does not fit under the floorboard so I have to modify it a bit.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
tuck1
Junior User
crossmember pics from reg1952's gallery. Not a t-5 but.....

Old 11-30-2009, 03:08 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I like it,
looks like it will maintain the frame rails from twisting etc. the T5 mounts are farther back ( I think) as compared to that one but I imagine would still work good. now I'm wondering if I should redo mine as it's not bolted in yet. its just going to bolt to bottom of frame rails so I was thinking like others have mentioned just using flat plate across the top rail.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Hello all and Happy Holidays, just curious as to how everyones T-5 install went, and how you are liking the modification. After driving my truck with that non-syncro 4 speed for 2 years I'm still amazed at how nice that fully syncronized trans is. It's been 5 years now sense my install and I have no issues sense.