Biodiesel WMO Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Orpackrat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biodiesel WMO Diesel

I have a 1988 F-250 XLT Lariet Diesel and I am looking into producing biodiesel over the summer. I have an uncle that picks up and disposes of the WVO as a part-time job so access to WVO is not a problem. I need to fing a cost effective way of producing Biodiesel. I have seen cone systems for a few thousand dollars to simple water heater and drum systems for a couple hundred dollars. I live in a cold climate where I go to school (winter temps about 0-30 degrees + or -) and need to know if the strait Bio will work or will I have to mix it with diesel for the old weather. Also would putting new motor oil mixed with the fuel be good for the engine (a + more that a -) or strained WMO with a magnet to pull metals out. I have and will have both availible to me and currently being a poor college student I can barely afford fuel. I am looking on ways to fill my tank for less without actually hurting my engine. I read somewhere that when running pure BIO you need to replace all rubber hose and pieces because the BIO will eat though them over a short period time. Any comments will be helpful, thanks.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:37 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
B100 in the winter time is not a good idea, but there are a few folks arouns here running as high as 80% bio without issue. Most say 20-50% is a s far as you want to go in cold weather.

As to the WMO, most of the replies in THIS THREAD suggest that it may not be a terribly good idea either.....but desperate times call for desperate measures, so I won't suggest not trying it.