2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace your fuel filter on a 2004 and newer F150.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:08 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the kudos.

This was really meant for 2004 + F150s, but the general idea does work for the older trucks.

More than likely the fuel filter on your '95 is held on by the old style plastic U clips, all you'll need for them is a flat blade to pry them out. Just make sure not to reuse the old clips.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:07 PM
DRM2004
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just changed my fuel filter on my 2004 5.4L supercrew....the only issue I had was I could not trip the 'fuel shut off switch'. I was hitting it fairly hard....I didn't want to break anything so I looked in the owners manual for the fuel pump fuse, no reference about it anywhere. Searched online, no luck.
So I got some small towels and removed the fuel tank side of the fuel filter first...no fuel spillage. Then I removed fuel line on the engine side of the fuel filter. I did get about 1/2 cup of fuel, it just ran out...no high pressure spraying.
Swapped out the fuel filter and re-installed the lines. No problem. Next time I won't bother with trying to de-activate the fuel shut off switch.
But it would be better to remove the fuse for the fuel pump.....anyone know which fuse this is???? If not, I'll just have to remove the filter with fuel in the line again in another 30k.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Chauncey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BravoZulu on the write up superrangerman. I've seen alot of doc sheets that weren't as detailed and precise as your directions. Maybe you have a second career waiting in the wings.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:25 AM
cool guy
Senior User
thsnk you

superrangerman thanks for the infrormative details.....hopefully there's more to come..
i just learned something very important today.... thanks again.....

Last edited by cool guy; 03-12-2006 at 03:26 AM. Reason: forgot a small word
Old 03-12-2006, 06:20 AM
2004f1504X4
Senior User
Thank you much for the information, I bought a filter a while back and was planning to replace it myself but was told it is not simple don't do it!!...Now I know why, the same question, the picture is not clear could you please clarify which switch?

Old 03-12-2006, 07:41 AM
tmoney67
Junior User
Nice post superrangerman! I have done several filters on various efi vehicles. I simply let the vehicle sit overnight and then change the filter in the AM. Like somebody else posted, you get maybe a half a cup of fuel spillage and no spraying.

No offense to your great post, that's just been my experience, that's all. Anyone not using a method to bleed off the pressure, do it at your own risk. Superrangerman has a good method IMO. I don't want anyone blaming me for becoming a french fry cuz they did exactly what I posted and are sitting in a burn unit. Or for a visit to the eye doctors office with gasoline in their eyes.

And to those guys or gals that want to wait to 100k or more to replace the fuel filter, be prepared to save up some big dollars for a new fuel pump alittle while later.
That's just what happenned to a guy I work with on his vehicle. A shop changed out his filter around 125k and about 6 mo and $500 later. New fuel pump. Surprisingly enough, he was having problems and the shop changed the fuel filter.
He was warned that typically after waiting that long to change the filter that the fuel pump would be next. They were right. So spend a little now or alot later.

Superrangerman, I am surprised noone has mentioned your use of the F word. FRAM.
Alot of people on this site don't like Fram oil filters anyway. Are their fuel filters better?
I've used their fuel/air/oil/you name it, over the years without problem so it didn't bother me any.

Tim

Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by DRM2004
I just changed my fuel filter on my 2004 5.4L supercrew....the only issue I had was I could not trip the 'fuel shut off switch'. I was hitting it fairly hard....I didn't want to break anything so I looked in the owners manual for the fuel pump fuse, no reference about it anywhere. Searched online, no luck.
So I got some small towels and removed the fuel tank side of the fuel filter first...no fuel spillage. Then I removed fuel line on the engine side of the fuel filter. I did get about 1/2 cup of fuel, it just ran out...no high pressure spraying.
Swapped out the fuel filter and re-installed the lines. No problem. Next time I won't bother with trying to de-activate the fuel shut off switch.
But it would be better to remove the fuse for the fuel pump.....anyone know which fuse this is???? If not, I'll just have to remove the filter with fuel in the line again in another 30k.
You do have to thump the sensor pretty solid. Sometimes it takes a decent hit.

The sensor is designed to kill the gasoline supply in the event of a crash. This is why it takes a decent sized thump to deactivate the sensor.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tmoney67

Superrangerman, I am surprised noone has mentioned your use of the F word. FRAM.
Alot of people on this site don't like Fram oil filters anyway. Are their fuel filters better?
I've used their fuel/air/oil/you name it, over the years without problem so it didn't bother me any.

Tim
I don't have a problem with their air and fuel filters. They are some of the best constructed filters out there for the money.

Their oil filters on the other hand leave a lot to be desired IMO. I use the FL820S Motorcraft filter becuase of its superior ADBV and cost. A simple comparison between any other filter shows that the MC 820S is the only one designed this way.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:19 AM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tim

Tim,

I don't like FRAM either. IMO they are cheaply made these days. Want a great aftermarket Filter brand? "Wix"

I've been using WIX filters for years now. I do use the Motorcraft Oil filter for the same reason that Superranger stated - a very good ADBV. All other filters (fuel, Air) I use Wix brand. Filter1.com carries them.

CMOS

Old 03-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Alta
Tuned
I guess I shoul have read this a couple days ago....

Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
2track
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks superrangerman2002, I did a search on here for fuel filter change and saw your thread for changing the filter. It was great information to get because before I saw it I wasn't sure I'd try it, but after I thought it would be a snap and it really was. Can't thank you enough for the help. I'm sure it helped alot more too. Thanks again Rich.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:55 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
superrangerman2002,
good job brother. maybe the mods will make a section where we can put how tos. i'd be will to sumit some stuff.
not trying to take anything away from you but just adding another in sight, you dont have to hit the shut off switch you can just un plug it. then start your truck in a few seconds it will die. theres no need in doing it a couple times cause your just wasting time cause when you turn the key over the pump runs for a second and its enough to start the truck. although the line can still be under some pressure. the 04 and up doesnt have a valve which i think stinks.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:32 AM
nascar6dude
Senior User
Well detailed instructions, the only other thing I do is to remove the fuel filler cap before starting this procedure, as it helps relieve the pressure in the filler neck.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 AM
is300wrx
Posting Guru
Where is the filter located exactly? I am having a hard time locating it.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:56 AM
nascar6dude
Senior User
The filter is located on the inside of the frame rail under the cab on the driver's side.

Quick Reply: How to replace your fuel filter on a 2004 and newer F150.