Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Any plumbers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any plumbers?

I am in the process of building a detached garage. The plumber roughed in 3 soft copper lines 1) water supply 2) natural gas 3) compressed air. I haven't done any work with soft copper, how do I make the connections to finish off? Can I sweat hard copper directly to it? Does the gas line require a fitting vice a sweat connection? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:36 AM
buffalobob
Senior User
check your local codes...here in NY you cant use copper for natural gas...we use cross linked polyethylene tubing with compression fittings.....underground and blk pipe once we get above ground and inside a house/garage

YES you can sweat a fitting on the soft and go to hard copper for the water.

would use compression adapter and go to black pipe for the air...or use silver solder if you use the copper

Old 02-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Thanks for the quick reply. Reagarding the gas line, I'm sure the copper is within code here (DC) because I see it quite a bit (especially for retrofit). They paint the copper yellow. If my memory serves me right, I seem to remember that they use a brass compression connector on the copper gas lines.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:04 AM
JEV
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always been told to use flair fittings with soft copper when running gas lines. Why that is I'm not sure, but it's worked for me....
JEV

Old 02-28-2006, 02:19 PM
RushN350
Senior User
You can definatly solder hard copper fittings to soft, or use a compresion type as already stated. As far as copper for gas.....Never heard that one before! Not sayin it aint true but iv'e been around the business since I was a kid and thats a first.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Custom Plumber
Freshman User
You would use flare fittings for the gas. Don`t ever use compression fittings on copper gas lines. It would be very easy to confuse it with water lines, and yes yellow coated copper designates gas.

HTH,
Joe P.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Copper is illegal for gas in many areas. I have heard it is because it reacts with the gas and forms a powder that will clog the controls. Brass flex line and black iron are code here.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Just took a look at the lines to see if maybe one of them is brass. They both look like 1/2" copper to me. I'll definetly need to do more research before I mess with the gas line. There may be some requirements for it to be some distance from the appliance etc... Thanks for all the great replies.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:30 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Torque is right. Nat. gas has minute amounts of H2S, Hydrogen sulfide, which is a strong acid and will dissolve copper. The H2S is a natural occuring element and is found in many gas and oil wells and even some water wells. Real nasty stuff, in minute quantities it smells like rotten eggs and in stronger concentrations is oderless and can kill in seconds. Avery real hazard in the oilfields.

I would use black pipe for the gas line.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:12 PM
mason55
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On a side note for H2S (hydrogen sulfide) If you do smell it ..... it's too late! Will kill you in a quick second no matter your size or health .... REAL BAD STUFF!!

Mason

Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 AM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Around here you can't use copper for gas. At least one time in another house that I had it had some copper for a couple of appliances and I had to change them to black pipe. I have another question though if you don't mind. What about running black pipe underground? Is it usually legal and do you have use any different pipe dope?

Old 03-01-2006, 05:34 AM
RushN350
Senior User
I checked local codes for the DC area: Copper is a no-no but it seems what there using all over now it stainless steel (flexible) It's call corrigated SS tubing. The fittings have to be flared. And the pipe has to be painted yellow like " joe finn" stated. This is probably what he is reffering to.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Custom Plumber
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RushN350
I checked local codes for the DC area: Copper is a no-no but it seems what there using all over now it stainless steel (flexible) It's call corrigated SS tubing. The fittings have to be flared. And the pipe has to be painted yellow like " joe finn" stated. This is probably what he is reffering to.

The most common SS products used around the Lehigh Valley, PA. area Wardflex and Gastite. Both have different fittings that are SPECIFIC to each manufacturer and you should NOT be able to get your hands on them since they are only sold to authorized installers that have passed a 1 day course.

I would say, that if you can do it in black pipe, fine. Second option would be to hire a qualified installer and sleep better at night knowing it`s done right

Old 03-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Sounds like the GC and I will need have a chat today. The copper is already in the ground, but concrete hasn't been poured yet. Unless the stainless stuff you're talking about looks EXACTLY like soft copper the gas line might be a do-over. I was surprised he didn't use black iron in the first place.

Rushn350, thanks for checking the code for me.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
I just got off the phone with the city plumbing inspector and he told me soft copper was legal for gas as long as the line was painted yellow. After what you guys told me, I'm not sure I like it.

Quick Reply: Any plumbers?