OMG, This Cam Ruined My build!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:44 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down OMG, This Cam Ruined My build!!!!

Hey guys, you're not going to believe this! Well you know my buildup of my neighbor’s motor?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=463388

Well, we got it all in and lookin' good. We start it up, run it for the cam break in 20mins at over 1500-2000. It's runnin' pretty rough at this point. So, we fight with it, can't get it timed right. The timing light keeps jumpin around. We mess with it for another two days(!!!) double, triple checking everything, changing this and that. I know it's spark related but just can't figure it out.

So finally we pop off a valve cover and cranked the engine over and find that #4 cylinder exhaust, rocker arm isn't moving. So I feel the rocker and it's floppy loose. Ok, collapsed lifter. So I try to get it out with a magnet but it's getting stuck. I know they are supposed to just slide right out but it's not.

So I hesitantly pulled off the intake and I had to get that lifter out with channel locks only to find the lifter has worn down crooked and has a hole on the bottom of it!! And the cam lobe is GONE. It's almost completely rounded side to side and around!!!!!! Here's the deal... 6-8 out of 16 lobes are 1/4-1/2 a hole off looking down the lifter bores!!!! All the lobes that lined up perfectly with the lifters are perfectly fine. So, this is a manufacture defect or someone packaged the wrong cam in the Crane 343901 box!!!!!!! So, needless to say I was almost in tears last night after finding I have to repull the engine and start completely over on this build as metal has been circulating around this engine.. We're going to take pictures and pursue Summit to see what they can do for us as we're going to be out lots of money AND TIME. What do you think about that!!!!?????

Old 02-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have GOT to be kidding! If some line up and some don't then they sent you a cam from the wrong engine family!

You need to get the cam out and see what numbers are stamped on the end. That'll tell you what was in the box.

Man, I feel for you. I know how bad it is to have a problem like that on a brand-new startup. If it makes you feel any better, I had no oil pressure when I started the 511 and trashed all the bearings in the first 60 seconds. I had a $23,000.00 junk pile. Fortunately I was able to rebuild with just new bearings and all is well.

Keep us posted.

-Scouder

Old 02-27-2006, 09:03 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Wow, Scouder... that's crazy.. You're grease didn't do it's job... I mean damn, only 60secs...???

But yeah, I can't believe this!! At first my other neighbor said that I screwed up and didn't check the end play and it wasn't in far enough. Until I kept pulling lifters to find some were perfect and others were GONE. My neighbor suggested its from a different engine family but I didn't think that was possible. The cam fit really well. We installed all the cam bearings in the right position front to back, with a professional cam install tool. I used proper lube and all. I never even thought to look down the lifter holes to check the placement of lobes... I will from now on after this experience.

Yes, when we pull it out I'll be checking for some part numbers. I still have the box it was shipped in. And it is a Crane 343901, as well as the reciept. We are crossing our fingers that Summit will back this up, with a complete gasket set, cam, lifters, dizzy. Oh yeah, did I tell mention it ruined the dizzy too!! It chewed the teeth razor sharp!!

Old 02-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Document EVERYTHING.

Get digital photos. Compare lobe position with a good cam, etc...

If Comp sent the wrong cam in the box you have a case for getting reimbursed, at least for the cam and lifters, maybe even the dizzy gear. The rest will likely be up to you. After all, they are going to say that as the engine builder you should have checked.

Like I said, keep us posted.

-Scouder

Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of the lobes weren't lined up right with the lifter bores? Ridiculous. Summit better make this right for you, for all the business we throw their way.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:35 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Tell 'em I said to make it right or I'll take my business to Jegs :-) that ought to scare 'em. :-)

You need to line that cam up against a known good FE cam and see if the lobes are in different locations...and as mentioned take lots of pictures.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:14 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Sure will guys! I'll probably finish pulling it this weekend and take it back apart. I hope the metal didn't ruin any of new bearings in the engine! At least I know the $750 heads will be fine.

I already took the stock cam to scrap metal this last weekend. I guess I can take the other cam out of the old 352 to compare with. OH, and wait til I show you guys pictures of what happend to the rod in the 352!! It broke in half, and smashed everything up and the engine still ran! It's goin on my wall soon...

Last edited by ceetwarrior; 02-27-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Check this out:

Old 02-27-2006, 10:52 PM
seetwisted
Senior User
Exclamation Crane...???

I recently put a set of Crane adjustable rockers in my 390.I was having trouble with the adjusters(the ***** were wearing fast). I was not certain what to think,so knowing I was going to need my truck at any rate,I special ordered a new set of adjusters from Summit,they were drop shipped directly from Crane in Florida.Now the new set is not staying adjusted because the new set seems to be cracking, I had 1 lock nut fall off,WITH the end of the adjuster.I feel that they were hardened wrong and made brittle.I am trying to get another set from another manufacturer....NOW WHEN I HEAR THE NAME CRANE ASSOCIATED WITH SOMEONE ELSES PROBLEM,I can't help but wonder...Has anyone else had a problem with Crane products lately?? hated to hear your story Ceetwarrior,I can only imagine the things that were said! OUCH!!

Old 02-28-2006, 02:49 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
by any chance did you use the factory cam to gear spacer? with the aftermarket timing set?

Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 AM
yomow
Elder User
I use crane cam in my 351C camshaft broke in 3 pcs. broke 2 rods & engine needed new sleave never will i use a crane again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

Old 02-28-2006, 05:35 AM
scamardo
Elder User
I had the same thing happen with a Comp cam just 6 months ago. Installed the matching K kit from Comp. Bent pushrods too.

Sucks to be sure. To be safe, I rebuilt the bottom end after 6 lobes wiped and lifters left 1/2 lb of metal in the pan. Hate to hear this. Good luck on getting any money out of em. I only got the failed parts replaced and reimbursed on the cost of the cam.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:23 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
ford390gashog, nah the timing set is correct. I've done that before, and all it does is grind against the timing cover til you scratch your head to figure out what the noise is.

Wow, sounds like other problems with everyone else's stuff... this is just a mispackaged cam or something, maybe a defect too?

Scamardo, where did you buy your stuff from, to get reimbursed?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:37 AM
scamardo
Elder User
Got mine from Summit.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ceet sorry to hear about all the problems. I hope you get some compensation for the trouble. Better days ahead....

G.

Quick Reply: OMG, This Cam Ruined My build!!!!