Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Senior User

rosco_p_coltrane is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bad PCM???

Ok here is my problem...I have a 96 F-150 4.9 4x4 standard cab long bed. The truck wont pass smog. Why, you ask? The engine runs fine, no check engine light ( and the light does work ). The problem is with the system monitors...they wont activate or whatever the technical term is for it. I took it to the stealership and they plugged it in and cleared the computer. The tech proceeded to burn up a half of a tank of gas putting it throught the drive cycles. They called me up and said it was already to go would you like us to smog it? I gave them the go ahead and when they went to smog it OMG the system monitors arent ready. They told me its an internal fault in the PCM and told me a new one is 440 dollars plus one hour installation. Has anyone had this problem and is it really the PCM? Or is this dealer bull**** talk because they really dont know whats wrong with it. Im going to fix it myself with a reman PCM for 140 bucks, but I would still like some imput before I throw money at it. If you need more info on my problem for an accurate diagnosis let me know. Thanks for you time, Chris.

1996 F-150 4.9 4x4 standard cab long bed. Pacific green.

2007 Yamaha R-1. Red.

1996 Honda XR600R. Black/Red

1967 Triumph TR6C 650. White/Black
Old 02-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Senior User

Hooker Bob is starting off with a positive reputation.
PCM failures are not that common. The only positive way to check the system is with a breakout box, and not many shops have one. But before you replace the PCM try this, Disconnect the battery unplug the PCM inspect the plug on the cable and the PCM. Look for corrosion any damaged wiring along the harness. Make sure PCM is firmly attached to the vehicle and that the case is grounded well. Make sure all grounds to engine are clean and tight. Reconnect the PCM then the battery and retest. It could save you a few bucks.

Pat
Old 02-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Senior User

rosco_p_coltrane is starting off with a positive reputation.
pcm

Thanks for the imput. Between then and now I took out the PCM to go get a replacement. The pins were spotless, and I checked all the ground points. Everything looks good. You would think the dealership would have all the equipment to do a more complete check. The truck only has 59k miles and its super clean, no rust and it hasnt been driven hard (bought it off my father). Ill just throw a new PCM in it and see what happens. Oh yea Kragen said they had it in stock but when I drove 10 miles to the main store they had to order it... oh well. The PCM is remaned by cardone so we'll se how that goes...thanks again

1996 F-150 4.9 4x4 standard cab long bed. Pacific green.

2007 Yamaha R-1. Red.

1996 Honda XR600R. Black/Red

1967 Triumph TR6C 650. White/Black
Old 02-27-2006, 09:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300

Tags
49, 54l, bad, drive, expedition, f150, ford, pcm