V10 failure to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:37 AM
adolphbell
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool V10 failure to start

2002, V10, CC, 4X4.

Over the last couple of months my truck occasionally will start and run for about 1-2 seconds then die. It will not start after that until it decides to; starter turns over OK, plenty of battery power. Usually it will start after some period ranging to a 10 min. or so to over night. Last week I had to have it towed (15 miles) to a mechanic and it still would not start. He was working late, so decided to start on my truck and the darn thing started. He could not find anything wrong (no codes popped up).

Question: What the heck is going on? Has anyone had a similar problem?
I am goin to PA next friday and really would like to get back within a week.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thread moved to V10 Engine forum.

-Matt

Old 03-12-2006, 01:17 PM
captchas
wrong post

Last edited by captchas; 03-12-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:20 PM
captchas
ok lets start by you giveing us some more info. it's a 02 v10. how many miles. first thing is dose it have fuel at the rail when this happens? when was it tuned and serviced last. any other problems? lots of things can be going bad. try and help the gang with some more info.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:06 PM
adolphbell
Freshman User
Sorry, other than 54,000 miles that' all the info I have. If I don't know what "fuel and the rail" means. It has never been in the shop before. I haven't had it serviced, other than normal oil, brakes, etc.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
captchas
when it stops running or will not it cranks no start, that means you have to start checking. one is does it have fuel pressure at the fuel test port on the intake manifold rails that connect the injectors to the intake and fuel system , it looks like a tire pressure valve on the chrome plated tubing rail. "thats the fuel rail"
if not then you have to check for why. at 54k you could very well have a bad fuel filter or a pump starting to go bad. maybe even a failing pump relay. it's really a time for a very good tech to go into it. a trip from where you live to pa. i personly would not till it's 100% running correctly. as it could let you down on the road . then your at some techs who could be a rip off highway one's mercy. have it repaired were you feel safe before the trip starts. and good luck.might just be a clogged fuel filter

Old 03-12-2006, 02:56 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
The next time it happens step on the gas a little and see if it starts, if it starts up the AIC is bad (automatic idle control).

Denny

Old 03-12-2006, 03:36 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
An EFI motor that starts and then stalls a second or two later usually isn't building fuel pressure.

The pressure left in the system from the last time it was running is what gets it started, and then it runs out of fuel pressure and dies.

Probably the fuel pump, but could be the fuel pump relay or a bad connection at the fuse or in the wiring.

Two things to try next time it does it.

1) Like rvpuller said, see if it starts when you hit the gas like 1/2 or 1 inch.

2) Bang on the gas tank with a 2x4 or other appropriate "long heavy thing" (somewhat gently). If it immediately starts, it's almost 100% certainly the fuel pump.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I am betting: Fuel filter, clogged fuel pick up screen, weak pump...in that order

Could also be Idle Air Control (IAC) or EGR but usually these faults still let the motor start.

I doubt fuel circuit electrics...they are either good or bad and rarely in between

I bet very low pressure at the Schraeder valve air bleed test port like Charlie pointed out.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
captchas
plus that a free test port.if nothing comes out. the filter is cloged or the pump is or has failed . fuse, relay or pump. at that point you need a test lamp at the fuel pump. no gas up front while cranking and the lamp lights up it's the pump.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:17 AM
adolphbell
Freshman User
Thanks for the info. The mechanic I took it to also thinks the problem is associated with the fuel pump, but once the truck started running he could not find any problem. (tried playing with the accelerator a little, didn't work). I thought about the fuel filter, but once the engine starts it runs smoothly with no problems at all, so I guess it could be the filter but seems to me the fuel flow should be interrupted all the time if it is clogged.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:30 AM
captchas
not really. acloged or nearly cloged filter can lean the fuel down to were several guys have had problems running. on my own every 20k . i think you said you have 54k, change it and see, it past time any way. good luck man

Old 03-13-2006, 07:46 AM
adolphbell
Freshman User
Thanks again for all the help. I will get the fuel filter changed today, seems to be the only thing I can do right now, besides that's fairly cheap.

Thanks again.