Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slotted Rotor Direction for ART Rotors?

Old 02-27-2006, 11:58 AM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Slotted Rotor Direction for ART Rotors?

I just realized after watching some truck shows this past weekend, and after changing my pads to the Pro-Ceramic pads, that my slots seem to be backwards from those that they are installing on the TV shows.
My ART Rotors when I received them had R and L on them for the front and rear rotors. So, I put the R on the Right side (Passenger side) and L on the Left (Drivers side) of the truck assuming I was in the drivers seat position.

However, the slots are positioned so that when moving forward, the slot is positioned so that the pad first hits it on the inner side near the hub, which is slanted toward the rear and outer edge of the rotor as it moves in a forward direction.

I found a picture on the BAER site: http://www.baer.com/support/TechTips.aspx?TechTipID=2
that shows the direction they require, or they state that overheating will result!
I have no problems so far other than the original pads for 10,000 miles started a little sqealing noise, so I put a new sanded finish on the rotors like I always do with new pads to help seat in the new pad and they feel good so far. Before I get these pads broken in, perhaps I should swap sides so that the rotors match the BAER site pic's? I can resurface the rotors again with my sander. I use a DA sander with 120 grit and it does a great job.
Any of you guys with ARTS....what direction is your slots? I wonder if they were marked wrong.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:38 AM
RobertH
Tuned
FYI....for those of you that might need to know the answer. I sent an inquiry to ART. Prompt response clarified that only Rotors that have directional vanes require directional installation. The ART rotors can be mounted either way, so I am good. No problem.
I had not had any problem to date, just wanted to put on ceramic and give them a try to see if they might help handle more heat and reduce the dust that they claim to do. Or at least, they claim the dust will not stick as bad as the other types of materials.

THANKS ART!

Old 03-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
A.R.T. sure is a good company, huh? Glad they got back to you so soon. I didn't think it made any difference with those rotors.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:21 PM
jscarb2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have drilled and slotted with ceramic pads and have almost no dust now! got tired of cleaning rims i used the higher dollar pads pepboys has they have 2 differant sets i got the higher $ ones dont remember what brand.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:47 PM
RobertH
Tuned
I had watched a TV show..might have been Two Guys Garage or one of the PowerBlock shows and they had a factory tour of Satisfied brakes new Pro-Ceramic pads. I was impressed with them, so figured I would give 'em a try! Glad to hear feedback on Ceramic's. I had posted a question on experience with ceramic's a long while back, but guess they were still too new.

It sure was fun cleaning the layers of brake crud off the inside of the wheels! Hoping now, that will be much less to deal with.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:12 PM
jscarb2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think it was truck's i saw it also