Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I disable the overspeed warning chime ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:32 AM
Fox
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I disable the overspeed warning chime ?

Hi,

first let me introduce myself. My name is Robert and i am from germany. After having a 1984 F150 for some years . . .
http://www.dr-mustang.com/uploads/forums/fox_65.jpg

...I now own a 1990 F250 XLT Lariat since two days.
Its a great truck and i love it.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/9888/f2dfr6rk.jpg

But i have one problem with it. When i drive faster than 120 km/h ( approx. 75 mph) a warning chime starts until i go slower. The car runs much faster an in germany its allowed to do so. So please can anyone tell me how to disable that chime.

thank you
Robert

Last edited by IB Tim; 02-26-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:11 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I don't know anything about that, but if the truck is a diesel and or has really low gears the rpms may be too high. Maybe somebody else knows more.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:42 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Robert to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:06 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Robert:

Is the truck still in Germany?? The picture shows the truck with German license plates.

I suspect that the warning chime was placed on the truck either by the factory or by the German dealer because the tires(original) were not speed rated and anything over 75 MPH sustained would strain the tires.

It wouldnt be a good idea to disable the chime--nor would it be a good idea to drive the truck over 75 MPH for any length of time if the tires are not speed rated.Does this truck have a diesel or gasoline engine?? American domestic gasoline trucks dont have such a chime.

Is your speedometer calibrated in KPH or MPH (the large numbers on the dial)?? Check a wiring diagram of the truck if the truck is an export truck---and you should see where the circuit is for the chime. If the truck is an American domestic truck that was exported to Deutschland--then your authorities may have added the chime and it wouldnt show on a export wiring diagram.

What is it like to drive an American truck in Germany and on the Autobahn anyhow?? What is the price of gasoline in Deutschland now??

What is your rear axle ratio in the 1990?? Look in the driver's doorjam and there will be a sticker and it will have a two character code under the axle catagory---tell us what the code is and that will tell you what axle ratio you have.

Does your truck have a catalytic converter and EGR valve ?? Was it originally an export truck--or did you buy it from an American ??

Nice looking truck!! I bet that you get looks when driving it.And that 84 sure was a clean well cared for truck--you didnt sell it did you??

Last edited by phoneman91; 02-26-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:14 PM
buffalobob
Senior User
you must be a dare-devil to drive that truck faster than 75 mph....where are you going in such a rush anyways???..

Old 02-26-2006, 02:17 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by buffalobob
you must be a dare-devil to drive that truck faster than 75 mph....where are you going in such a rush anyways???..
Robert probably is just trying not to get run down by other traffic on the Autobahn--75MPH is going slow in the slow right lane overthere.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:32 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fox,

the part is called 'selectable RPM controller breakout'.

it is near the chime itself that you can hear when the door is open and the key is in ignition. make it chime and find that.

now follow wires back to a plug, maybe 8" away and unplug that.

that is the rpm controller.

truck may not run with that disconnected.

i would recommend not going over what the tire rating is.

nice looking trucks.

welcome to fte.

quicklook

Last edited by quicklook2; 02-26-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:39 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
quicklook2:

I never heard of a speed chime/RPM controller in this vintage gasoline engine truck.Is this a diesel feature only?? And isnt the speedometer mechanical in the 1990s--and electronic after 91?? Why did Ford install these chimes?? And what years have them?? Is it an export truck requirement??

Last edited by phoneman91; 02-26-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Fox
Freshman User
Originally Posted by phoneman91
Is the truck still in Germany?? The picture shows the truck with German license plates.
yes, me and the car are here. I am a german but i cant drive these european 4 cylinders or ricers. I like the american way of drive and the sound of a Ford V8

I suspect that the warning chime was placed on the truck either by the factory or by the German dealer because the tires(original) were not speed rated and anything over 75 MPH sustained would strain the tires. It wouldnt be a good idea to disable the chime--nor would it be a good idea to drive the truck over 75 MPH for any length of time if the tires are not speed rated. American domestic trucks dont have such a chime.
the car is in germany since 2004 and has higher speed tires, so it is no problem to go over 120 mph on the autobahn.

Is your speedometer calibrated in KPH or MPH (the large numbers on the dial)?? Your 90 should have a cable running from the transmission to the speedometer head. The chime is probably between the head and the transmission--or within the head of the speedometer. Check a wiring diagram of the truck if the truck is an export truck---and you should see where the circuit is for the chime. If the truck is an American domestic truck that was exported to Deutshland--then your authorities added the chime and it wouldnt show on a export wiring diagram.

What is it like to drive an American truck in Germany and on the Autobahn anyhow?? What is the price of gasoline in Deutshland now??
rrrr thats a good feeling. The car handles perfect, even at that high speed and only makes 3500 or so rpm in the overdrive gear. US cars are absolute exotics here in germany because the fuel price is too hight for the consuption of a V8. one litre is about 1 dollar at the moment.
the speedometer has the big kmh scale on it.

What is your rear axle ratio in the 1990?? Look in the driver's doorjam and there will be a sticker and it will have a two character code under the axle catagory---tell us what the code is and that will tell you what axle ratio you have.
Just walked out in the snow to have a look at it. it says axle: 39

Does your truck have a catalytic converter and EGR valve ?? Was it originally an export truck--or did you buy it from an American ??

Nice looking truck!! I bet that you get looks when driving it.And that 84 sure was a clean well cared for truck--you didnt sell it did you??
the truck was originally in the US and came to germany in 2004. I bought it from a german guy these days.
my 1984 F-150 was not in good condition when i bought it years ago. I did a total restaoration for about two years and brought it to that condition on the pic. I sold it last year to finance my greatest dream . . . a 1970 Mustang Mach 1.
please feel free to go to http://www.fordclub.info there you find on the left some categorys. choose Autos for pictures of the done F 150 and the Mach 1. Or choose Werkstatt to find pics of the F150s restoration.

I hope my english is good enough you understand what i mean.

cu
Robert

Old 02-26-2006, 03:40 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Robert:

Your English is excellent. If could write in German as well as you can in English--I would be very proud of myself. Do you speak English as well as you write in English??

Code 39 means that you have a 3.55 to 1 rear axle ratio and that the differential is open--no limited slip. And the axle capacity is 6250 pounds.

You routinely turn 3500 RPMs on the highway in overdrive?? Wow !! Just how fast have you had that truck anyhow?? What type/name brand of tires do you have on that truck--and what speed rating are they??

I will take a look at that website. And gasoline is over 4 dollars per gallon overthere?? You must be a diehard trucker!! You must also be one of the largest privately owned vehicles on the road overthere!!

It's early morning in Deutschland now --isnt it??

Old 02-26-2006, 04:19 PM
s8whiskey
Elder User
3500 in overdrive is bad? Im not lying but I push my 93 to a solid 4200 for a long haul to spring hill and back 45 min drive. Ive gotten clocked at 114 once in my truck.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:24 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by s8whiskey
3500 in overdrive is bad? Im not lying but I push my 93 to a solid 4200 for a long haul to spring hill and back 45 min drive. Ive gotten clocked at 114 once in my truck.
Yes--3500 RPM in overdrive with 3.55 gearing and F250 stock tire height is pretty fast in these trucks--they arent Mustangs. And they dont have four wheel disk brakes.

And just how much did that clocking at 114 MPH cost anyhow??

Old 02-26-2006, 05:20 PM
MRL123
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3500 in overdrive is bad?

OK, 3500 RPM is FAST - not necessarily a bad thing - just FAST. I know for sure that I wouldn't want to try to haul my truck down in a hurry from 114MPH. Even on my motorcycle hauling down form 100+MPH can cause some real pucker moments. 114MPH up here would definitley cost you your license, put you in a court of law and potentially even a night in jail if you couldn't get a liar fast enough.

Cheers!

Mike

Old 02-26-2006, 05:25 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MRL123
3500 in overdrive is bad?

OK, 3500 RPM is FAST - not necessarily a bad thing - just FAST. I know for sure that I wouldn't want to try to haul my truck down in a hurry from 114MPH. Even on my motorcycle hauling down form 100+MPH can cause some real pucker moments. 114MPH up here would definitley cost you your license, put you in a court of law and potentially even a night in jail if you couldn't get a liar fast enough.

Cheers!

Mike
Mike--you are correct--one doesnt get a real appreciation for high speed--until one trys to brake hard at high speed--and only then realizes how fast they are going and how limited their brake system is at that high speed.

The lucky ones--are those that learn this without killing themselves or some unlucky victim.

Yeah--we just got to love those liars/lawyers--dont we??

Old 02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
brosko80
Senior User
im scared to go over 65 mph in my 88 f-150. trucks arent made for speed

Quick Reply: How can I disable the overspeed warning chime ?