Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Freshman User

raydar is starting off with a positive reputation.
rearend auto-manual the same

I have a 91 ranger 4.0 4x4 with a 5 speed in it. I think the rearend is going out in it. I have the same truck but only it has an auto, for a parts truck. Are the rearends the same. I'm sure it would bolt up but is the gearing going to be the same? How do I check?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Post Fiend

RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yeah...it outta be the same, just check the ratios. There is SUPPOSED to be a tag in the far right side lower bolt with the ratio on it. It may be gone by now though lol.

If you look on the sticker on the inside of your door, it'll say something like rear or something to that effect. It'll be like 308 for 3.08 or like 3L55 for limited slip 3.55. You get the idea. Make sure yours matches the donor. If you switch sizes you'll need the little speed sensor on the rear diff as well I believe.

What makes you think your rear end is going out? It's a pretty bulletproof rear end for most anything it could be put through.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:28 AM
New User

togabearer is starting off with a positive reputation.
u should have an 8.8 if u have a 7.5, rounder bottom, then u could be looking at some damage, http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46...plorer%20Diff%, that is a 7.5 in a 3.0 1998, swaps are pretty straight forward and i know fullsizes have the vss in the axle but rangers do not, pull the cover and take a look, 10 minutes, report visual image, work from there, could just be your tranny bud
Old 02-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Post Fiend

RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.
We have a VSS in the rear end as well. It's not just the fullsizes. Crawl under there and look.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Elder User

Tiggie is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can also check the ratio by jacking up the rear and rotating the driveshaft. If the driveshaft rotates a little over four times for every complete wheel revolution, you have 4.10's. You get the idea. You do not want to put different ratios in the front and back!
I believe 4X4 and 4X2 are the same rear differentials.
There may be a difference in ABS and non-ABS rear axles.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Post Fiend

Yeah if ABS was an option...Though I'd assume it wouldn't matter, unless you had RABS in which case you would have to get a RABS rear axle. If you didn't have it to begin with, you could get either since it's not going to work either way without you installing the whole system yourself.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series