Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Tahoe going to save Chevrolet?

Old 02-16-2006, 05:38 AM
95250mac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tahoe going to save Chevrolet?

What do you think about the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe?

Some say better others say worse, it does have the jump on the Expedition as far as release dates, Ford will not be out untill Fall of 2006.

What I can't understand is why it is still so small.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:06 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
I think initial sales will be pretty good because the current version looked the same for so long. The dedicated owners of the current version have been waiting so their new vehicle wouldn't look just like the one they currently have. I'm sure it will be vastly better than the old one because of the long run of the old one and the market has gotten far more competative due to the entrance of large SUVs from foreign brands. In the long run, I think the entire large SUV market is going to shrink dramatically. It was the family tow vehicle for years but 4 door large trucks are taking that market.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:28 AM
john112deere
Posting Guru
The Tahoe as been a good truck for quite a while, but with a few little annoyances, like an interior that looked like it came from a Kia, and a brake pedal that felt like it was going to go to the floor every time you stepped on it. They've fixed both of those problems in the new one, so I'd wager it is now an excellent truck.

As for the size, it is small because it slots BELOW the Suburban in the Chevy marketing scheme. If potential buyers think the Tahoe is too small, then they can step up to the Suburban, which is just a bigger Tahoe. If, however, the Tahoe were to grow, then Chevy might lose customers who don't want anything bigger than the Tahoe, but do want bigger than the Trailblazer.

I for one, think that the whole big SUV, family 4-door pickup market is going to shrink in the next few years, once people realize that gas prices are probably going to stay above $2 into the forseeable future (as every source I've read says) and lots of them don't need vehicles that big. (Who knows, they might even realize that smaller cars are easier to park and handle better...)

Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
I hope it does really well for the sake of GM. As for the Tahoe's though, my parents have a 98...what a piece! I sure hope they got their act together if for nothing else to keep an American auto-manufacturer from going down.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
4wd
Elder User
The local chevy dealer has had one parked out front for about month. A pretty black LS pkg. Hasn't moved an inch. Maybe sticker shock---North of 40k!

Old 02-16-2006, 02:05 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
4wd The local chevy dealer has had one parked out front for about month. A pretty black LS pkg. Hasn't moved an inch. Maybe sticker shock---North of 40k!

The reason he's still got it is "Black LS." If it was a Black LTZ with a $53,000 sticker, it'd be long gone. This is a wierd market- the lower-equipment levels are saleproof, the loaded stuff flies out the door.

95250mac What do you think about the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe?

Some say better others say worse, it does have the jump on the Expedition as far as release dates, Ford will not be out untill Fall of 2006.

What I can't understand is why it is still so small.

Define "small." It's about 10" shorter than a Suburban, but was styled to look smaller than it is. This is a product GM does well- they understand the buyer, which is the biggest factor in their 60% market share in full-size SUV's. It's not any bigger because the affluent soccer moms that drive these things like the size- especially the low height. If it sacrifices ground clearance- tough. Most of them never see anything taller than a speed bump to clear anyway.

Will the Tahoe save GM? No, the GMT900 (new Silverado) has that role- the Tahoe's just the supporting cast.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Thomasm67
Postmaster
It looks nice but i don't like the remote power back door and the power fold seats yes for some it is a conviences but to much can and will go wrong with all those nifty power conviences. Then they are an inconvience.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:03 PM
msalyer
Senior User
I really like it and I am considering buying one in about a year. The gas mileage rating is nice.

Polar, I must be weird but the only options I want are a 3 passenger third seat and luggage "slats" on the roof. Everything else I "must" have is standard equipment.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:14 PM
StillaKilla187
Senior User
The new tahoe is pretty cool, and willprob sellgood because the old one was around for such a long time.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:58 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Ooof.

Base prices are in the high 30K ranger and options toss that figure into the 50's....

I doubt that appeals to a huge bunch of the consumer these days, who have been cutting back on the excess of the 90s these days.

Hybrid for 2008 seems interesting, moreso than 15c/21h MPG ratings. If those are the granny EPA figures, maybe the actual figures over time come close with the cylinder deactivation.

I would have really been excited if GM halved a Duramax and lobbed in a 3.3L I4 or thereabouts.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:35 PM
mschultz
Senior User
Nice Interior- for GM.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msalyer
I really like it and I am considering buying one in about a year. The gas mileage rating is nice.
The keyword there is "rating". One car mag, either Car and Driver or Motor Trend, got a cool 13 observed mpgs.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:28 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979
Ooof.

Base prices are in the high 30K ranger and options toss that figure into the 50's....

I doubt that appeals to a huge bunch of the consumer these days, who have been cutting back on the excess of the 90s these days.

Hybrid for 2008 seems interesting, moreso than 15c/21h MPG ratings. If those are the granny EPA figures, maybe the actual figures over time come close with the cylinder deactivation.

I would have really been excited if GM halved a Duramax and lobbed in a 3.3L I4 or thereabouts.
I'm going to say this delicately....... have you lost your mind?

In a Ford store, in a logging/farming town of 4500 people, the average new transaction price is over $40,000. A rural Ford store, mind you- not a Lexus store. Mercedes sales are up over 15% from last year. BMW kicked over 100,000 3-series out the door last year. To put that into perspective, the little Bimmer outsold the 500.

The softest part of the truck market is the compact sector- it keeps shrinking in total numbers, even though the price of fuel increases. Why? Simple- those that can afford a new car or truck can really afford one, while those on the margins (eg, the entry level markets) are being pushed into used. It's not a healthy thing, mind you- but it's fact.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:42 AM
msalyer
Senior User
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
The keyword there is "rating". One car mag, either Car and Driver or Motor Trend, got a cool 13 observed mpgs.
True that, but I bet they could take my 2001 F250 SD SC 4x4 and get LESS than 13.
That's why I am not jumping right now. I'll give it a little time to get out on the streets and see what owners are saying. I really don't put a lot of faith in those "pro import" rags.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:27 AM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A 4x4 super duty better get worse gas mileage than a Tahoe, or else Chevy totatally messed up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tahoe going to save Chevrolet?