1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child Safety Seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:22 AM
JWILL460
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Child Safety Seat

Howdy. I did a search and came up with nothing. My wife and I are looking at a used superduty ext cab and we are wondering if you can put a child safety seat in the back. on the bench seat. Anyone have one in their own ext cab truck? How well does it fit behind the pass. seat or between the two in the middle? My 79 F-150 is deemed to be not baby friendly so This is my new excuse on why we need a superduty. LOL Her only question is does a child seat fit in it?

Jwill
Central Iowa

Old 02-24-2006, 02:36 AM
TMartinLVNV
Senior User
I have a crew cab to put the kids seat in the back. The extra cabs are designed to have the kids seat in the front. They come with the passenger side air bag turn off switch for this purpose.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:48 AM
Headhunter
Junior User
When shopping for my truck, I was going to need three cars seats (sheesh!). Both GM and Ford indicated that it was not safe to put a car seat in the extended cab and that a crew was the only way to go. I know lots of people that have done it, but frankly all I needed to hear was that it was not recommended or safe and that was all it took.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:45 AM
terry_opie
Junior User
Just considering how the carseat in my crew cab sits and fits in there... I would really think you'd want to consider looking for a crew cab.

I've never tried with an extend cab, but just going on how mine fits with the crew.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
I have 3 kids, and would highly reccommend the crew cab.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 AM
kenzmad
Junior User
go with a crew cab. If the car seat doesn't fit well in the extended cab, the neither is the child once out of the car seat.

kenzmad

Old 02-24-2006, 10:01 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must agree also, the cc is the only way to go. I have always wondered if I should have gotten a sc instead. I recently had to pick up one of my kids in a friends sc, I could not believe how tight it was compared to my cc. Since that day I know the cc was the right choice.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:08 AM
sdpj
Senior User
well i had a ext cab before i had kids. now i have a 3 yr old son and a 8 month old son. we have no problem with them in the back in there seats. but if you have the choice now i would say go with the cc. an ext cab will work though.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:09 AM
twk7693
New User
I have a 2001 SD Super-Cab. I also have 4 little girls (I know, I know!!). To top it off I hold a national certification for installing child safety seats. I have a fancy title but it really just means I know alot about car seats and their installation.
There is no problem with installing a child seat in the rear of a Super-Cab. In my truck Ford even installed rear tether anchorage points in the rear seating position. I have had 3 car seats in the back seat and have had no issues. A Crew Cab would cetainly be nice for having children in but it is not a necessity. The only issue with most any car seat in the rear would be if you were using a booster seat with only the butt portion. That would not be acceptable since there are no head rests and a childs head might be over the top of the rear seat and strike the glass in a crash.
I would ask to see the owners manual of the truck you are looking at to make sure Ford does not say NO to rear child seats. My manual even encourages seats in the rear. GOOD LUCK.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Mopey
Senior User
We had a ext cab when my daughter was a baby, there is room when seat faces forward but when the seat is rear facing (newborn), the seat would only fit in the middle spot. We also took some long trips with 3-4 kids in that truck and it was a little tight but it is manageable. Crew cab is great but if the budget dictates ext cab you can make that work too.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:32 AM
njf207
Senior User
I always had an explorer and then I got my cc. I have always liked the extra room. I would never put a car seat in a ext cab.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:45 AM
CmprSpecial
Elder User
Originally Posted by njf207
I always had an explorer and then I got my cc. I have always liked the extra room. I would never put a car seat in a ext cab.
I see no reason why you can't put a child seat in a ext cab. Sure it's a tight fit, but the ext cab has anchors for the child seats, why do you think it's a problem?

Old 02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
JWILL460
Junior User
Thank you all for the help. I really liked hearing both sides of the arguement. I looked at the owners manual int he 02 ext cab 4x4 at the local ford dealer. It encourages the use of child safety seats in the the rear seat with the child safety seat anchor points. I then stopped into a local fire dept and talked to them about the install into a superduty. They all said they are trained to put the seat in the middle of the back seat between the two front seats in an ext cab pickup. Im not into the crew cab trucks but they do seem more abundant at the dealers. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Jwill
Central Iowa

Old 02-24-2006, 02:58 PM
njf207
Senior User
I have always thought in the event that somethings happens to your car if you can't get the child out easy on a normal day. Then in an emergency you still could not get the child out of the car fast enough. Another thing I have always put kids in the middle for one reason there is no better place to be than in between the frame rails. Thats just how I am. I go to great lengths to make sure my child is as safe as can be in the car. Every day there are more and more unsafe drivers on this country's roads.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:17 PM
JWILL460
Junior User
Thats very very true. Just taking my son anywhere in a car scares me. Maybe its the new dad syndrome since this is my first child and he is only 3 weeks old. Everyone says the paranoia will pass soon but Im not so sure. Too many stupid drivers out there.

Jwill
Central Iowa

Quick Reply: Child Safety Seat