Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Let's see your workbenches

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 PM
maa139
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's see your workbenches

I searched and didn't see anything really related. I'm planning to build a wooden workbench. Let's see some pictures of yours to give me some ideas!

Thanks.

Matt

EDIT- Please post links only! Your cooperation will be appreciated.

Last edited by Torque1st; 04-10-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have a picture (because I don't have any wood benches right now) but I'll describe the way I make them. I make each leg out of 2 tapered pieces of 1/2" plywood, about 8" wide at the top, 4" at the bottom. I put a 2x2 or 2x4 in the corner and glue and screw each leg together. The corner timber is 3-1/2" shorter than the leg. Then I frame the top w/ 2x4's inside the legs, on top of the corner timbers. there is also an intermediate frame maybe 8" off the floor. Everything is fastened w/ screws and glue. I use a solid core door for a top, and 1/2" plywood for the intermediate shelf. If you glue everything, these benches are the strongest you'll find. Even expensive metal benches wobble, but these don't. I'll try to post a sketch tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:51 PM
wresleu
Elder User
I too am a fan of using a solid core door for the work surface. I frame mine out a bit differently but, similar in concept. Currently I have one in my basement that I made to fold away. It is a 32" door, I used 3-4" hinges at the wall, with a ledger board for more support, made the two front legs out of cedar 4x4's (lighter), and hinged those as well. Made locking pins to lock the legs in place when extended and when folded. Seems to work pretty well, saves me some space, but it could be sturdier. Can't expect it to be too sturdy considering it is only mounted by door hinges at the back.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 AM
furball69
Postmaster
I've built a few for my boss. The one I liked best was a 32" x 8' 3/4" plywood top with the same size 1/2" OSB second shelf. I built a frame like you would for a wall, out of 2x4s with one support in the middle at 4'; Three 2x4 legs front and back with support blocks added for extra support. the rear 2x4 uprights were left longer to add a top shelf with the 16" piece cut from the plywood - same framing style and three 2x4s angled from underneath the front edge, back down to corner where the rear uprights meet the main surface. I was planning on adding triangle plywood at the sides to increase strength but it was sturdy enough without it.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:17 AM
grizzley30814
Junior User
The one we built for my dad's garage is strong as any I have ever seen. We built it using a 2x6 header against the wall, with 2x6 supports about every 2' from that out to a 6x6 rough cut beam that runs all the way across the front. We also used rough cut 6x6 post for legs and added a shelf down below. 3/4 plywood makes the top. Overall it is about 2' deep and 16' long. We added a huge old vice on one end and bolted it thru the 6x6. You can put a 3-4 foot cheater bar on the handle and tighten it up and you won't budge the bench. I am planing to follow the same plan for the main bench in the shop I am building now. Used the rough cut lumber originally because it was there, This time because I know it works and last for ever and the price is right. The old mans garage was built over twenty years ago.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Dan Tenn
Senior User
I built one for my shop that is 20' long, window height, and about 36" deep. I used 2"X6" for the legs, and 2"X4" for supports. I had a bunch of stair tread left over from my house when it was built, so I used that as the top. Its glued together sawdust, but is nearly an inch thick, and is pretty strong stuff. If the top ever gets crappy I will bolt on a piece of steel for a top. Total cost was for 8-10' 2"X4"s (under $20). I had all the rest laying around as scrap. Their is a crappy phone pic in my gallery if your interested under shop.

Dan

Old 02-22-2006, 10:03 AM
IBeam
Senior User
I have one main wooden bench in my shop. I am limited on space. When I pull an outfit in, the bench has to go. To solve this problem. I made a quick square frame from 2x4, then covered it with 3/4 plywood. Then I took some big gate hinges, and anchored them into the Wall Studs. Then I used some 1 inch angle iron, and put a single lag screw in them so they pivot. I then lift it up (fold) against the wall, and hook it with a chain to secure it. I have had engine blocks sitting on it before, and never had a problem.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:02 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I to have no pictures but I can describe pretty easily what I did. I got a hold of a bunch of cabinets that were being tore out of gov housing that were in good shape, both uppers and lowers (the only cost was me getting them before the demo crew went to town and a tetnis shot, don't ask). I ended up with 25ft of lowers and a corner peice. I have 14ft coming into the corner from one side and 11ft from the other side. the counter tops were trashed when we were removing the cabinets so I framed out the top with 2x4s and topped them with 3/4" Plywood. When I framed out the tops I made four seperate sections incase I ever have to or want to move them. I then tied those four sections together (This is where I'm at right now) and squared them up with the shop. I will be topping them with 12ga Steel that I'm having bent. The steel will have a 25" top, a 4" backsplash, a 2" turn down in the front with another 3/4" curled back on the front so I don't catch crap on the edge of it. So far they are working out quite nicely and other than the steel and $80 worth of lumber haven't cost me anything, although the steel will run me about $450 by the time its bent and attached to the benches.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:25 AM
slash31938
Posting Guru
another thing you might want to add is a piece of plexiglass on the top and some markers so you can mark out sizes and shapes of stuff to remember. it makes a quick jot down notepad.

My workbench right now is the tailgate of the 80 250. its mobile, and folds up real easily!

Old 02-22-2006, 09:59 PM
draglink
Senior User
My benches are 3 solid-core oak doors3'x8'. I stained them dark, then put a couple of coats of poly on them. They came from a local shipyard...and weigh a ton!! The cabnets are just old rip-out kitchen cabnets all painted glossy black. I have 2 pieces of steel, 3x3 on top of two benches...easier to slide things on, and when you're really beating the $@%t out of something it wont dig into the bench. Also nice when I grind up there.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/draglink/bench.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49.../garagebay.jpg

Last edited by Torque1st; 04-09-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:50 AM
grizzley30814
Junior User
Looks good draglink,

What year is your bronco, I had a 69 in south dakota. I rebuilt it to rockcrawl with the blackhills fourwheelers. Damn think was like a goat after that.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 AM
IBeam
Senior User
Ford Clock. I'm Jealous. :-)

Nice setup. Only problem for me is keeping the floor clean. I am a bit of a clown when it comes to spilling oil.

Funny how it seems so many have used old kitchen Cabinet's. I have a set in mine as well.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Originally Posted by draglink
My benches are 3 solid-core oak doors3'x8'. I stained them dark, then put a couple of coats of poly on them. They came from a local shipyard...and weigh a ton!! The cabnets are just old rip-out kitchen cabnets all painted glossy black. I have 2 pieces of steel, 3x3 on top of two benches...easier to slide things on, and when you're really beating the $@%t out of something it wont dig into the bench. Also nice when I grind up there.
Do you actually use that shop? I'd be affraid to. Just kidding that shop looks fantastic.

Good Job

Madmike33

Old 02-23-2006, 11:02 AM
dffay
Elder User
What a pigsty.........

Draglink, Who can get any work done there?

Were you one of those annoying kids that ALWAYS put their toys away after playtime?

Nice job actually.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:56 AM
draglink
Senior User
That picture was taken a few months ago. The benches/shop does stay clean though. There is a 9" on the bench now I'm working on to go under my 65' Falcon I'm redoing. I have a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a 7 month pregnant wife in the house. I stay out there as long as I can...so I have plenty of time to clean up!!!HA HA HA!!! By the way, the Bronco is a 76' Ranger,351w,c4, I just sold it.

Quick Reply: Let's see your workbenches