1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:44 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looking for opinions

As I get near to starting on body work and finishing I am reminded by GOMD that she is tired of red,black,red,black.red,black, FIND ANOTHER COLOR!!!! My question then is,,,what are the most popular colors for our trucks. None of this means I won't paint it red or black but I would like to hear from you guys.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

I recently saw a 56 in town that has been painted something similliar to a Sierra Gold [ 58? C---y ?]. Very pleasing to my eye.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about "Black Cherry"

There are several shades of blue that really look good on these trucks.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:57 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,832 Likes on 1,833 Posts
I recently cam across a really neat bluish/silver that was on a car in an old issue of the "goodguys" magazine. When I get back home (I'm on the road this week) I'll see if I can find it and scan it in for you if you are interested.

Painting a truck red is about the same as dropping in a sbc

There ya go, that's my opinion. I know that whatever you decide to go with it will look danged good
Bobby

Old 02-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
As I get near to starting on body work and finishing I am reminded by GOMD that she is tired of red,black,red,black.red,black, FIND ANOTHER COLOR!!!! My question then is,,,what are the most popular colors for our trucks. None of this means I won't paint it red or black but I would like to hear from you guys.
What was the Original Colour of Your truck?
Novel idea, paint the "Olde Girl" the colour she was when she came out of the factory.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like hunter green or a forest green if I ever get a good paint job that is what mine will be.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:16 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Black Cherry is an option, it was on my Vicky for several years, GOMD likes blues, especially the dark metallics, IE Volkswagen, a very bright blue on Ford Ranger. I thought about the colonel's idea too but my truck came from so many different places there are about 6 original colors

Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
When I first got my truck I could vividly see a bright chrome yellow with orange ghost flames and orange steelies with caps and rings. Then I went to a car show and fell in love with the old primer look. Too bad now lots of people are doing that but at this point the 51 will be suede black with red red red red red steelie wheels, caps and rings with red and gray pinstriping in the appropriate / usual places. If it would be any other color that these it would be an old english sports car color called Dove Gray - MGs and Jags of the 50s. Not real flashy but very classy looking and it could end up that color yet.

OilLeaks

Old 02-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Tim -

I agree with GOMD. "Resale Red" is just overdone. I really like it every time I see it, but I see it everywhere. Originally, Ferrari or Viper red was what I wanted to paint my 56. Then I thought maroon was going to be it for a long time, but now that's too close to red.

I'm going to assume that you will have flawless body work, which allows any color choice.

I think first you have to decide if you want it to "pop" out at the viewer, or be more subtle, drawing them closer to it. Pop colors are chrome yellow, tangerine orange, or almost any light color metallic.

On the more subtle side, I have seen some great purples, dark and grey-ish blues that looked really nice. I think graphite grey looks way cool.

I also think the color choice depends on how much brite work the finished truck will have. Lighter colors work really well with chrome. The 46 in CCT a couple months ago looked awsome in the grey-blue with chrome bumpers, grill, door handles, wipers, etc.

With all the smoothing mods you are doing, I don't see much chrome working with the cleaner smoothed lines. If you go light on chrome, I would vote darker color, like graphite grey, purple, royal blue, etc.

Just don't paint it white.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:33 PM
TBucketJack
Senior User
I'd do a White pearl like the Lexus or Caddy or a Bronze or Copper that was on the mid 80's Nissan trucks

Old 02-21-2006, 07:39 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
If you get the choices narrowed down, I'll be glad to photochop a truck with your wheel/tire combo and color combo. Let me know, -4speed

Old 02-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
Black Cherry is an option, it was on my Vicky for several years, GOMD likes blues, especially the dark metallics, IE Volkswagen, a very bright blue on Ford Ranger. I thought about the colonel's idea too but my truck came from so many different places there are about 6 original colors
Cheque the DATA Plate, that'll tell you what Colour she was out of the Factory, not what other owners decided to paint her.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:01 PM
hotrod48
Elder User
I have to agree red and black are over done, especially red. I would have to cast my vote for the Sonic blue on the newer Lightnings or the charcoal gray on the newer Lightnings. Here are exmples of each: https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal.../89700.520.390 or http://home.comcast.net/~jolsem725/L...htning_005.jpg Both of those colors look much better in person to me (Pictures don't do them justice). Maybe even a two-tone of the blue and a silver, that always looks great. Good luck with your choice.

hotrod48

Old 02-21-2006, 08:02 PM
fastford59
Senior User
I saw one painted a hunter green metallic and silver metallic 53' that looked pretty sharp.The hood and top were the green and the bottom was silver,it was tastefully done....

Old 02-21-2006, 08:05 PM
g84t8f1
Elder User
I'm going electric current red and gunmetal metalic silver.I think it looks good.
ART

Quick Reply: looking for opinions