1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2001 F150 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Jeff Dodson
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F150 5.4

My Mom is having problems with her truck. For awhile now it has had a problem with the oil gauge / light. It would come on and the gauge would go to 0 and then come back up. This would happen several times then it was fine. It would never clatter or anything, therefore I think it is eather a bad sending unit or something.

Well now she is having another problem with it. She say's it is hard to start sometimes. She will have to ctrankit and crank it untill it starts, after it starts it will sputter and sometimes die. Then she will start it again. When it finally gets started good, it is fine no other problems. Sge added some Fuel Injector cleaner and I am going to change the fule filter tonite and see if that may be the cause. Is there anythng else that could be causing this. There is something that is BUZZING on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I have not had time to look at it but is there some type of fuel relay or something and that be the problem.

Thanx for listening and my Mother will be greatful to me AND yall for the help

Old 02-21-2006, 08:32 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
For the oil gauge/light issue, you are right to go to the sending unit. That would be the first place to look. Not too bad on price and fairly easy to change out.

As for the hard starting, I was going to say the IAC, but with the buzzing, I would stick my head in and under the engine compartment to see where it could be coming from. Coulds find problem. Just make sure the engine is not actually running, but the key is just in the ON position. Would hate to see your posts suddenly stop due to lack of noggin.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:34 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Replace the oil pressure sending switch. It screws into the oil filter mount.

Have Mom hold the throttle 1/4 way down while starting. If that makes it start properly, clean (sometimes helps) or replace the IAC valve.

If that doesn't help, have her cylce the key several times to RUN for two seconds, then OFF several times before hitting START. If that helps, the fuel pressure is either weak or has leaked down. Fuel filter is a good place to start.

Try to pinpoint the source of the noise by watching it during operation.

Steve

Old 02-21-2006, 04:53 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The buzzing is from a failing PCV valve.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Jeff Dodson
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I changed the FUEL FILTER, and I really think that was the major problem. When I poured out the fuel that was inside it through the inlet side, the fuel came out brown, when I poured it through the out side it came out clear. As far as the buzzing noise, you were correct, I replaced the PCV and all is quiet. Mom says the truck run quieter and smoother, and has not acted up sense. THANX for the advise, I though it was going to turnm out to be something more complicated