Modular V10 (6.8l)  

How many times should the oil filter spin on...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:26 AM
rustyfuryiii
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many times should the oil filter spin on...

before the rubber gasket makes contact with the block? At the 200 mile mark I wanted to change the oil. I went to Purvis Ford, and picked up the oil and filter. All Motorcraft products, all the correct p/n etc.

After much cussing and effort, I got the factory filter off of the block. When I went to screw the new filter back on, I noticed there was very little distance between the filter gasket and the block. I counted just after the filter threads grabbed the nipple and I was only able to get 1 1/2 turns out of the filter before the gasket made contact with the block. Then I was able to get the usual 3/4 turn before I considered the filter to be tight, for a total of 2 1/4 turns or thread count.

Then I went back to the old factory filter. I was able to get 3 1/2 turns on that filter before the gasket made contact with the block, and another 3/4 turn before I considered it tight. This comes out to 4 1/4 turns or thread count.

I went back to the new filter, and again the same thing, only a total of 2 1/4 turns. It doesn't leak, I'm just concerned that the filter will blow off at some point of ownership.

I've checked and the gasket thickness is the same on both filters, and no, the old filter gasket is not still on the block. Anyone know how many turns they get out of the Motorcraft filter before the gasket contacts the block? I'm going take a look at another filter, maybe Purolator, that's what I use on my other vehicles.

Thanks for you time guys, I do appreciate it.

RustyFuryIII

Old 02-20-2006, 06:28 PM
captchas
i'm not sure about what your asking as to how many turns till tight . but do know this DO NOT USE A AFTER MARKET oil filter on this motor ,it will cause a low speed low end knock. that is printed and posted in here

Old 02-20-2006, 07:35 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RustyFuryIII --

That is a good question. I still have not done an oil change on my SD (just purchased it last November)...but will be doing it this coming weekend. I will post back with what I find.

I'm curious what others might post...

biz

Last edited by biz4two; 02-20-2006 at 07:36 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 02-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
I have changed mine several times and it always takes a few spins for the gasket to make contact and all I ever use are the MC FL820s so it sounds to me like your nipple does not project enough. If one of the guys were doing an oil change they could measure their nipple projection and you could compare but it sounds like you have a wee problem.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Texascadillac42
Elder User
Originally Posted by captchas
i'm not sure about what your asking as to how many turns till tight . but do know this DO NOT USE A AFTER MARKET oil filter on this motor ,it will cause a low speed low end knock. that is printed and posted in here
Could you give me more info on this low speed low end knock. Ive used Motorcraft filters since new, and only have 12k on the truck now. But I just bought a pair of Wix (Napa Gold) filters from fleet filter.com for it, and now that I hear this I have my doubts. Wix/Napa Gold filters are some of the best from all the research Ive done, just curious about what this low speed knock is caused from.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:33 AM
captchas
wix makes for ford so that is most likely the only one not to cause problems as ford states in the owners manaul. many of our men in here have tryed fram and other brands like it and have heard a light low end knock. that went away after returning to the fl820s

Old 02-21-2006, 09:06 AM
rustyfuryiii
Senior User
captchas,

If you spin the oil filter just until the first thread catches, let go of the filter and it hangs there. Then find a mark on the filter to use as a reference. Now spin the filter on until the gasket seats with the face of the block, counting how many times your reference mark makes a complete 360. When I do this with a replacement Motorcraft oil filter I bought from the dealership, it only spins 1 1/2 times before the rubber gasket is seated on the face of the block. Then by hand turn the filter 3/4 turn to secure the filter from spinning back off. This makes 2 1/4 turns.

With the factory installed oil filter, I get 3 1/2 complete turns with a 3/4 tightening turn to secure the filter from spinning off. This comes out to 4 1/4 turns. A bit more secure.
RustyFuryIII

Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 AM
rustyfuryiii
Senior User
biz4two

Could you do me a favor? Could you measure the length of the nipple the oil filter screws on to when you do your oil change this weekend? Could you also give me a count as to how many spins the new filter takes before the gasket mates with the face of the block?

Thank you in advance,

RustyFuryIII

Old 02-21-2006, 03:28 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rustyfuryiii
Could you do me a favor? Could you measure the length of the nipple the oil filter screws on to when you do your oil change this weekend? Could you also give me a count as to how many spins the new filter takes before the gasket mates with the face of the block?

Thank you in advance,

RustyFuryIII
Yes...that will not be a problem. Happy to help...

biz

Old 02-21-2006, 03:42 PM
captchas
next time it's changed i will . but it was just done and the truck has only traveled 20 miles in the last 3 weeks

Old 02-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Texascadillac42
Elder User
Thanks Captchas. RustyfuryIII, I'll be changing my oil in the next 2 days or so, and if I can remember I'll measure the nipple on mine as well.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by captchas
wix makes for ford so that is most likely the only one not to cause problems as ford states in the owners manaul. many of our men in here have tryed fram and other brands like it and have heard a light low end knock. that went away after returning to the fl820s

the motorcraft filters are not Wix made. the factory filters are champion and either white or grey. the off the shelf FL820S is made by Purolator.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:33 PM
RAH
Freshman User
I changed my oil to day and used FL820S filter, I didnot mark the filter to get the exact turns, but it was somewhere about 2 to 2 1/2 turns to contact the filter to the base. I also looked at nipple the filter screws on to, it is about 1 inch long laying and looking up at it with the hairy eyeball. I had read this thread this morning that is why I checked all these things. I used about 1/2qt of oil in 2700 miles, the motor has 3800 miles and 84hrs on it.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:33 AM
rustyfuryiii
Senior User
All,

Thank you in advance for your efforts in helping me to put this thing to bed, I really appreciate it.

RustyFuryIII

Old 02-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Texascadillac42
Elder User
Seemed to be close to an inch long on my motor as well, and didnt take more than 3 turns to get on.

Quick Reply: How many times should the oil filter spin on...