Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Post Fiend

polarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to behold
Nissan Cuts Titan, Armada production again

Nissan cuts production again

"Last month, its U.S. sales dipped 1 percent. Nissan's car sales were up, but truck sales declined 1.6 percent, reflecting a 9 percent drop in Titan sales, a 21 percent drop in sales of the large Armada SUV and a 31 percent slump in Quest sales ahead of the rollout of a restyled minivan....

...Nissan's production of light trucks, including the Titan, peaked in March, the last month of the Japanese fiscal year. But Titan production has declined for five consecutive months, and Connelly expects its full-year sales will fall slightly short of last year's levels.

While the Titan's struggle reflects the weakening demand for gas-guzzlers, it also illustrates the difficulty newcomers face in the big pickup segment, where brand loyalties to Detroit's automakers run high."

Makes me wonder how well the new Toyota Tundra will be recieved.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Hmmm... Interesting indeed.

I honestly think this moving market towards pickups (and thier associated brand loyalties) will be pretty darn good for both GM and Ford - more so the latter.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Post Fiend

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
I owned one Nissan in my life, and it was the worst truck I have ever owned and Nissan as a company was just the same. There dealerships were awful as well. This was in 1990. So, I for one would like to see nissan go out of business. The Titan is an ugly truck, I know guys that owned them, but only for a short time, they suck gas I'm told like 14-15 MPG. As a rule I try not to be this negitive but after owning that 1990 Nissan 4x4 and the way I was treated by Nissan, & the Nissan dealerships.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Senior User

Miramichi_hockey is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Japanese can build a good car, van and suv, but it seems they can't jeopardize America's last stronghold. It looks as though the big 3 might be catching up in regards to quality and reliability in the car segment. I don't think the toyota tundra will sell 200 000+ vehicles their first year, I think those #'s reflect the company's optimism/cockiness. Then again, I think, journalists have been selling out to the japanese auto makers. I mean come on, giving that ridgeline "truck of the year"?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Post Fiend

polarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to beholdpolarbear is a splendid one to behold
I'm really curious about something else. Toyota just built a new plant to produce up to 300,000 new Tundras a year. What if..... and I say if.... they started believing their own press releases instead of having a firm pulse on the market?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Post Fiend

CowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to all
From what I've read on those Datsun Titans, the powertrain is great but that's the only good thing about the truck. I've noticed a rather large number of used ones for sale, all late model by default. That I would take to represent a consumer measure of satisfaction.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Elder User

Big Sky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Big Sky is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The Armada is an ugly vehicle, the roofline is weird. The Titan is not offered in as many configurations as the F-series, like a 3/4 ton. They only have a small market with what they have to offer.

I agree with with the comment that the press is all over the Japanese make vehicles like flies on manure. I don't think I read one negative article on the new Tundra's "big size" or its fuel efficiency....Thats why I dropped my Consumer Reports subscription because I felt their bias against American made vehicles was obvious.

I am glad to see that their sales are stunmbling....
2002 PSD Excursion Limited 4x4, Mineral Grey. Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar. DC Power 185 Amp Alternator. MagnaFlo 4: Turbo Back, Aero Turbine 4040XL Muffler. Michelin LTX AT2, Rancho RS9000 XL, 6.0 tranny cooler

2000 F-250 SC 4x4 V-10, Burgundy
Old 02-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Posting Guru

jimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to behold
oh well, good riddins
1996 F150. 306/4R70W. E303 cam, AFR205 heads, TrickFlow intake mani, CAI, 90mm TB, 30lb injectors, MSD 6A, JBA ceramic shorties, Bassani catless y-pipe, 3 inch single w/ Flowmaster super 44. B&M shift kit, Moates Quarterhorse tuned, etc etc...
1994 F150 4x4. 302/E4OD. "six litre tuneup" hedman long tubes, 2.5 inch duals w/ glasspacks. 3 inch lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2's, 4.10 gears, front and rear Aussie lockers
1994 F150 4x4. 351/E4OD. Bone stock and staying that way...
Old 02-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Senior User

Al Bundy is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
The titan is sold for yuppies. It doesn't offer a regular cab or long bed.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Senior User

CTford is starting off with a positive reputation.
A guy I know had a Nissan truck used for dump runs. It had no more body panals on it (rusted out), no radio, holes in the floor. It didn't even have the key swich- you had to hotwire it to get it going. Finally he left it at the dump one day. It had only about 100,000 miles on it.

Yeah Nissan! 'Nuff said. (although the 5.6L engine is great, it's like Dodge with the Cummins-bad truck, good engine)
Old 02-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
I agree with Big Sky on the Armada. Ugliness alone should have killed it off, but gas prices are really the thing. Nissan isnt even a Japanese company anymore. Its French! Quality?

Jim
Old 02-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Senior User

Galizien is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
I agree with Big Sky on the Armada. Ugliness alone should have killed it off, but gas prices are really the thing. Nissan isnt even a Japanese company anymore. Its French! Quality?

Jim
Actually the "big" 3 french companies are pretty impressive when it comes to reliability (Peugeot, Renault and Citroen)
Old 02-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Postmaster

osbornk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.osbornk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizien
Actually the "big" 3 french companies are pretty impressive when it comes to reliability (Peugeot, Renault and Citroen)
They must have had a tremendous improvement since they were in the USA. When they were available in the United States, they were unreliable and difficult to get repaired. If you could find someone who would work on them, you waited months for very expensive parts. Maybe you could have better luck in big cities.

A great deal of the credit for the popularity and sales of the original VW bug is due to Renault. The Renault and VW were the only two widely available small imports available before the Japanese cars were widely imported. The VW bug wasn't that good but it was far better than the Renault Dauphine. VW won by default.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Senior User

timcpa is starting off with a positive reputation.
I own a movie theatre. People ask me all the time what is the best movie. It's the one that does the most business. I personally think the Oscar for best picture should go to the highest grossing movie of the year. The same is true with trucks. How long now has Ford dominated the truck business? For the Ridgeline to win truck of the year is crazy. It's not even a truck. Compare it's sales and owner loyalty to the F-150! The same people who think Ridgeline is truck of the year are the same ones who would say some small independant film that grossed practically nothing is film of the year.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizien
I have a good friend who is the chief engineer for Renault in Australia...
I think he could make pretty good argument against that. Having said that, he gave me a drive in the Renault Clio Cup - man, that little car is a blast
http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/R...blue-f3q-s.jpg

There are only 2 French manufacturers by the way. PSA and Renault/Nissan.
Renault has done a LOT of good for Nissan. Look at that company now, compared to 10 years ago...
Old 02-18-2006, 06:03 PM