Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Green Diamond Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Lane Dexter
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Green Diamond Tires

I mentioned in NW group that I had bought Green Diamond tires -- a set of 265/75R-16 Load Range E retreads from High-Tec, and and set of 205/65R-15 "remolds" from Green Diamond North America. Another member PM'd me with questions, and suggested I post in a thread. Here's what I have for now:

Green Diamond tires are supposed to have all the advantages of studs, without the disadvantages. Grip ice like sandpaper, but don't tear up the roads and there's no "driving on marbles" feeling on bare wet pavement. You can run them all year round. Green Diamond tires are an Icelandic invention, patented there, but now gaining quite a following in the Northeast.

I've learned there are two kinds of Green Diamond tires. I've had e-mail conversations with Rick at High-Tec Retreading, and phone converstations with various people there --- mostly to sort out the shipping nightmare of returning the load range C tires they sent, and getting the load range E tires I bought. But I did learn a bit. I also have swapped e-mails with Rich at Green Diamond North America, and learned a bit from him.

Other than a shipping mixup -- they sent me the wrong load range, at a time they were dumping UPS and going with Fed Ex, and I live in a part of the boonies where Fed Ex sometimes says we don't exist and sometimes will ship here -- I really have no complaint about the recaps from High-Tec. They are normal retreads. A carcass is buffed down, then a standard ribbon cap is applied, and cured in an autoclave. Both sets were good condition, well matched, Michelin casings. Aside from buying tires October 13, and getting the correct tires January 9th, I have no complaints about the tires. In fairness, the first set of tires arrived quickly. I do not think my experience was the norm for High-Tec.

I mounted in my shop, then had Les Schwab balance them for me and put them on our Suburban. Later, I noted something from High-Tec about "static balance only." This doesn't make sense to me, but I do recall a warning about putting the weight on both sides of the wheel, not all on one plane. Well, heck, I knew that. But I also considered a static or "bubble" balance to be just a minimum balance that used to be done at most stations. A real dynamic "spin" balance is best, but usually only available at a tire shop.

I notice some vibration around 35-40 mph, but then it smooths out. I have the A/T tread, and it "sings" very slightly. It's not bad, really pretty quiet for any sort of traction tire. I think fresh Les Schwab TXR's are louder.

I've driven enough to expose the "diamonds," and can see little twinkles on the tread. No problems on the steep Diablo Dam access road yesterday. If weather reports are right, I may know more in a few days. I really need some ice to try out the tires.

The second type of Green Diamond is more expensive. It's the "real deal," as patented in Iceland. The tire is a bead-to-bead remold, rubber applied in some sort of spiral method, cured in expensive sectional molds. I bought a set of these from Green Diamond North America, in 205/65R-15, the Icelander tread pattern, for my wife's Malibu. They look like new tires, say Green Diamond and "Icelander" on the sidewall. You'll note a "this side out" marking on one sidewall. They seem to be running well. We're starting to see the twinkly crystals. So far, traction is good. Again, I'll know more when I have some packed snow and ice to drive on.

Rich, at Green Diamond North America was nice enough not to say anything bad about High-Tec. He merely explained the differences, told me High-Tec was licensed only for conventional retreads, and Green Diamond North America was the only outfit selling in the U.S. that used the patented remold process. He said High-Tec makes a good product at a good price point. That's true. The prices at High-Tec Retreading (Edgement, SD) are really good for light truck tires.

That explains why the tires for the K2500 Suburban cost less than the tires for my wife's little car.

So far, I have no complaints from either, but I'll know more after we deal with more ice and snow.

Killed a racoon last night, on the way back from my son's basketball game. Didn't hurt the LF tire, but I sure wish we'd had the Suburban or one of my F250's, instead of Wife's pretty little car. It did NOT help the front air dam at all. No problems with the tires, though.

Lane

Old 02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
chowitworkz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info Lane and the PM I will probably purchase some for both the Bronco , and my truck sometime this summer.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Lane Dexter
Laughing Gas
My pleasure. If you go with some of High-Tec's more aggressive tread patterns, let us know how the noise is.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:21 PM
chowitworkz
Senior User
Will do I am thinking OTR mud with spacer bars for truck, and probably at's for the Bronco

Old 02-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Lane Dexter
Laughing Gas
That sounds like a good choice for a rig that really gets used off road, but still has to run down the highway. Actually, looking at what High-Tec has to offer, I think there are probably some pretty good and economical choices for a lot of us on FTE. It would be nice to be rich, but most of us aren't.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Bad Company
Senior User
Lane....when I went to the Green Diamond website, I couldn't find a dealer other then in the east. Who did you purchase your tires from?

Old 03-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Lane Dexter
Laughing Gas
I believe Rich at Green Diamond Tire North America is in the Northeast. I "met" him via e-mail after contacting him through eBay.

The light truck tires with the more conventional recap method are at High-Tec Retreading in Edgemont, SD.

http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/index.html

I can hunt through my other e-mail; I think I have Rich's e-mail for Green Diamond North America, if you want it.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Bad Company
Senior User
Thanks Lane. I'd appreciate that email if you still have it.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Lane Dexter
Laughing Gas
You bet. I dug a little. Here's one:

Rich at greendiamondtire.com

And I'll PM the other, in case he didn't want it broadcast.

BTW, I didn't have much luck convincing my wife that Green Diamonds on her car counted as "jewelry for Valentine's Day."

Last edited by Lane Dexter; 03-27-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:21 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Lane,
I know this is an old thread but I am very interested in the Green Diamond tires and since I am only an hour from Elmira, where Rich is located, it is a cheaper tire option for me.

Has anything of interest happened with these tires, either the hi-tec or the green diamond?

Are you happy with them?

I'd appreciate any info you can provide before I make a purchase.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Lane Dexter
Laughing Gas
I've been happy with them, so far. I didn't get a lot of opportunity to run them on ice last winter. So far this winter, I'm quite pleased. If you have a light truck, go with the recaps from hi-tec in Edgemont, SD. I see they've changed their website a bit since I ordered.

If you have a car, like my wife's Malibu, go with Green Diamond of North America. I'd have to put the performance of the tires on the Suburban as pretty close to studs. A recent shopping trip during a snowstorm, found me annoyed only with the slower drivers in my way. A stop at the local station made me aware it was really too slick to be walking in the parking lot, but I was fine driving.

The Malibu seems to do great on snow and ice, though it's certainly not equal to the heavy 4x4. The tires are quiet and ride well.

My wife and I are planning to drive to Des Moines, Iowa to spend Christmas with our daughter. We'll probably use the Malibu (unless I buy a generator trailer on e-Bay). I'll probably have more experience by then.

My experience is limited, but I'd say, go for it!