Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Tennessee Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Neal 97 250

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
What's your favorite home garden crop?

I've thought about using corn just as a decoration - but I need to build up the gardens for a while before I can do that well.

My big thing is PEPPERS. All kinds of peppers, long green ones, super hot, seasoning peppers, chiles, you name it.

They look like little christmas trees with multi colored ornaments on 'em.

Tomatoes I like, but they can be a PITA sometimes...

What are your plans for the garden this year?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Post Fiend

lariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant future
I plant tomatos & peppers every yr. I like my fresh tomatos & peppers. I just have a small bed I plant but I have all the tomatos I want.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Senior User

rboeding is starting off with a positive reputation.
I plant lots of peppers. I also have almost as many rosemary bushes as everthing else. I put them in everthing I cook. If something is on the grill I stick a big branch on the fire. Might not be a crop but I can't eat without it.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:27 AM
Postmaster

maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
facebook.com/TheCrip Maples01
We plant tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Senior User

Mustangsean is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm also a peppers sort of guy. I have done watermelon, and okra, but peppers is my fav.

Sean
Old 02-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
Peppers are also good houseplants. TABASCO peppers are very decorative, and are amoung the few peppers that I know of that grow "UPSIDE DOWN".

- They point straight up, instead of hanging down from the bush...

The bushes themselves are about two feet across, so they make very nice conversation pieces in a window.

I'd like to branch out into unusual pepper plants, there are some chinese and other orientals that are real interesting. I'd give a lot for some Phillipine "LABUYO" seeds, or "Thai Dragons"...

(Thai Dragon peppers are in theory even hotter than Haberneros. Labuyo peppers just have a damn nice aftertaste - kind of like Tabascos, but sort of smokey)

Peqiun peppers (likely not spelled right) grow wild in Texas, and I bet i can talk someone from over there into mailing me some.

Very tiny triangles of pure fire...

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-15-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Post Fiend

lariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant futurelariat97 has a brilliant future
I grew a big garden at my last house. I planted the lots of different peppers then along with beans,peas okra,cabbage,onions corn & potatos. We filled our freezer with veggies every yr.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

How well do Apple trees do in the south?
Old 02-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Postmaster

maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
I watched a show about apple tree pruning to aid in producing, you will not like a producing apple tree, you have to prune the hell out of it to allow light to get in, it looks butchered. You can't just let them grow out, guy had one for years but wasn't getting anything from it, someone from one of those shows came over and took him out to an orchard, they taught him about the work that he needs to do, and what to expect. I could never do a tree like that, and no way would allow someone to come in my yard with cutting equipment intent on cutting up my tree.
I miss my garden, I used to have a house with a huge yard, a large section in the back yard was tilled under and planted, tomatoes, onions, raddishes, okra, sugar peas, beans, and cucumbers. I don't have much of a yard, gov housing, it's a duplex, kids running through the yard constantly, I put the tomatoe plants against the back of the house. Compost/manuer and peat moss tilled into the soil, some plant food, boom, more than we could handle, stupid Better Boy plants were groing into the eve's of the house, couldn't get stakes long enough to hold them.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

Tomatoes will do that - that's why I said they got to be a PITA.

Unless you have a hill they can grow DOWN or put a cubic yard bucket up on a stand.

My biggest prob was when the vines laid on the ground and things got at them.

I knew someone who raised cherry toms in buckets hung from the soffet, and watered by spraying them once or twice a week.

Vines hung right down, and were prolific!
Old 02-27-2006, 06:20 AM
New User

USCGC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Man, it's getting close to that time of year again.

Click the image to open in full size.

We have been growing "Thai Hots" (Prik Ki Nue)for many years now. The best pepper in the world if you ask me. If you need some seeds you can simply stop by an asian market and buy some pepppers from the produce section and dry them for about a week.

Do this by cutting the pepper open and removing the seeds. Then place the seeds in a paper towel and storing them in a dry warm place for about a week. Once dry place them in the fridge until planting time.

We freeze some, dry some and pickle some.

To make the most awesome dryed roasted crushed red pepper follow this:

Dry your peppers in the sun spread out on a newspaper. Once dried, place the peppers in a hot cast iron pan and over medium high heat. Continue stiring until the peppers are slightly browned. Next, place your peppers in a food processor and chop to about the consistancy of coffee grounds.

Add a pinch to your chili dirty rice. Great on a slice of pizza. But this ain't the stuff you are getting the local bi-lo or Kroger, use caution!

If you need some seeds Greywolf just let me know.

We generally grow many other asian (Thai) vegatables and herbs as well. Eggplant, Okra, Celantro, basil, squash.

Last edited by USCGC; 02-27-2006 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

I Want Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(OH yeah... Sounds like "Thai Dragon" peppers)

They look like it too -
Those, Pequin Chiles, and Tabasco peppers are among the few I know of that grow (ripen) upside down from other peppers. They point right up at the sun, and get hotter than anything imaginable...

Beautiful picture, by the way.

Last edited by Greywolf; 02-27-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Post Fiend

bf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to behold
beleive it or not, we got all kinds of things a growin in our 2 room flat! but for the edible stuff, we are trying carrots! can't wait to get out into some land and get the garden going!

ford trucks i have previously owned
1972 f250 1989 f250
1995 f350 2004 f250
2006 f250

will get a truck again!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Pestiferous Nuisance

If you ever do - watch what happens to your "STUFF" levels...

First you run over the plot to be with a lawn mower set to ground zero - then you go buy a shovel. When you notice your neighbor using a tiller, you borrow it or try it once, and find out how easy(?) it is - so you have to have one of them.

Watering gets old, so you start thinking about sprinklers, then the weeds pop up and you try everything. Meanwhile you realise that the untamed part of your neighbors lot is where said weeds are coming from, but its a hill or drop off from your yard edge - so the lawn mower has to be either real light, or have an offroad suspension...

When the tomatoes get tall, they need supports - so its off to lowes for tomato cages.

Then you notice something has been munching and trampling on things, so a fence is required. And then you look even closer: My God! That little green shoot is inching toward one of my better boy hybrids!!!

So its off to lowes again for a sprayer and jugs of malathion, boards or chain link, posts and sacks of readycrete to set the posts in - and oh yeah! A post hole digger...

And so on, and so on....

Last edited by Greywolf; 03-01-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Postmaster

Tomatoe cages aren't tall enough, you need to get some lumber and cut yourself some tall stakes.
Hard ground, get someone to run a plow through it, you can rent most anything you need.
Don't plan on watering a garden, nature can handle it, but a jug of Miracle grow and water mixture is good on occasion, be sure to water before and after to keep from burning it up.
I'm not a fan of poison, my family has farmed for years, great grandfather refused to poison his tobacco, silver dust is all you need.
A real fence builder doesn't need concrete, I can show you how to do one so tight to can play a tune on it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:17 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Tennessee Chapter