1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ranger Clutch Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Dullbo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ranger Clutch Change

HI, i'm new here and i want to know how many times it can takes to change a clutch on a Ranger 1987 4 X 4 V6 2.9L. Some mech. man claim that it can take 8 hours??? Is it true or not. Anybody can tell me how much it took them??? Thanks a lot. Cause at that price i'm not sure i will do it...

Old 02-13-2006, 10:07 AM
dave74-360bb
Senior User
i've got a 97 b4000 4x4 it took the mazda dealership 3 days to do my clutch, slave cylinder,and pilot shaft bearing

they had quoted me 8 hours , the final bill was $1200 canadian

Last edited by IB Tim; 02-13-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:30 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
I have the bill from when the dealership changed the clutch in my truck for the previous owner. It doesn't explicitly state the hours of labor, but if I divide the total charge for labor by the hourly rate, I get 4.5 hours.

My truck is a 2wd 4-cylinder. Being a 4x4 6-cylinder adds time ($) because the transfer case must come out, and part of the exhaust must be removed. Not long ago, an independent shop gave me a very rough estimate of $800 for a Ranger clutch.

I should also point out that if your truck needs a clutch, it isn't really something you want to put off. Eventually, it just won't go anymore, and you will have to have it towed. And condsidering the ratio of labor cost to parts cost, replace everything in there, so you don't have to drop the tranny again in a year to replace something else.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:32 PM
agryphon
Senior User
Took me longer to bleed the clutch then it did to R&R the transmission/clutch... think I spent 4 days on it all told...

Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Dullbo to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:45 AM
karslake
Junior User
Hi friends:

Does anyone know if there is an instructive on how to change a clutch on a ranger?

Old 03-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good shop manual should walk you through the job.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:38 PM
67f100
Senior User
mines an 86 with a 3 inch body lift. I can tell you the lift saved me queit a bit of time not having to wrestle with the top two bolts on the trans. But I had it out in about an hour, its not that complicated if you have the right tools and maybe a buddy to help you do the lifting and such. I start with the two driveshafts and then the transfer case. shifter for the trans and tranfer case come out. plugs and lines and dont forget your hydralic cluth line on the top of the trans, its got a kind of carter pin that holds it in. starter as well. transmission crossmember unbolt and down she comes. Oh yea, you might want to drain both the trans and T case before you start pulling. Did I miss anything?

Old 03-06-2006, 09:49 AM
grease monkey
Elder User
I got to change mine in a few weeks. Im going to do it at school ill let you know how long it takes me.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:34 PM
karslake
Junior User
Thanks 67f100 those two upper bolts? ....Mmmmm I knew there would be some difficulty...
Guess I´l Have tostart looking if I can take the floor carpet off easylly so as to check if there is a bolted cover of some type that when off It would let you fiddle with these bolts... and the starter too..........
Cheers
Karslake

Old 03-06-2006, 04:30 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

karslake you wont find any plates in the floor to remove to get to those top 2 bolts. To get them out you need a 2'-0" or longer extension and a universal for your socket and you get to them from underneath the truck. It helps if you have a friend guide your socket to the bolt from the top.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
I took mine to a shop because I have never messed with a hydraulic clutch but I could change the one in my 1985 Mustang in about 3 hours if you dont include the time for the machine shop to resurface the flywheel. The shop I took it to charged me $285 for labor and I supplied the Zoom Kevlar clutch set which set me back $329.13 from Summit racing. Total cost of $615.13. Not bad and I had the truck back the next day.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 AM
karslake
Junior User
Some US $ 700 for a clutch change is not bad provided you got your truck next day and provided you had the money.... It makes me remember my last clutch change on my Daewo racer... it cost me 15 bucks labor and around 50 bucks for the preasure plate and the clutch it self both brand new spares. In these cars it is not necesarry to do away with the tranny but simply access de lot from underneath asnd you pull the main axle from the side to allow the discs come down. US $ 15 bucks for labour no kiddin.
Long are those days when you could reapair a clutch disc for 10 bucks. I repaired my clutch system on my for Taunus mod 1960 by re rivering some antifriction pads in matter of minutes.... The clutch worked for me for more years I can remember. I have a Neighbor who owns a ford anglia mod 58 and bought it from new. I was surpriced when he explained to me that he has never ever chaged the clutch on his van. How he do it? A bit of a mistery to me... but I believe him. Seems he doesn´t use it much.
Cheers
Karslake

Old 03-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Welcome to FTE Dullbo, the 8 hour quote is pretty much standard in most shops sometimes it's less and ond ther times it'll take it all. What's the most time consuming on the V6 4x4's, is the "Y" exhaust pipe that runs across the bottom front of your transmission. It needs to be removed, which means you need to undo the bolts up at the exhaust manifold collector. You usually have to heat the bolts to get them undone, and often break the bolts which then means you drill out and tap for a new bolt.... etc..... Very time consuming. And like someone mentioned earlier the two top tranny bolts aren't the easiest to get to.
You will need to:
1. Remove the full exhaust system all the way to exhaust manifolds.
2. Remove the front and rear Driveshafts.
3. Remove the Spedometer cable in the Transfer Case, remove the TC shifter linkage(s).
4. Remove the Transfer Case.
5. Place a jack under the Tranny, unbolt the two bolts through Tranny mount to the Tranny, And then remove the Tranny Cross Member.

>>>>> Do you have an internal or external Slave Cylinder?????

6. If you have an internal you will need to buy a special tool to remove the Hydraulic line from cylinder. If you have an external, you maybe able to simply onbolt the Cylinder from the tranny side without touching the line (it's been a while since I played with an External Cylinder)
7. If you haven't allready removed the shifter, do so now. Also remove the reverse light switch wiring hooked in the side.
8. Remove the Tranny with a jack or tranny jack.
9. Clutch removal and change is fairly simple. Just unbolt and replace don't forget to inspect flyweel wear signs of blue discolouration, missing teeth on the ring gear. I would recommend having the flywheel turned on a lathe, And you should replace The Crank mainseal behind the Flywheel( they are prone to leaking) I also recommend changing everything clutch related hear as you will have noticed it won't be your funnest mechanical experience. Change Pilot Bearing, Throw out bearing, internal Slave cylinder ( if that's what you have) Clutch disk, and pressure plate. I also recommend using Ford parts if you are looking for durability it'll be worth the extra cash.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just hope it Helps.

Madmike33

Last edited by Madmike33; 03-07-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Mudhorse
New User
removing shift lever in 1997 Ranger 4 cyl

I have a '97 4 cyl 5 sp. I have everything removed but the shift lever. The manual I am using references a picture that I cannot find or does not exist so I am guessing the stud through the passanger side of the bottom of the shifter is what I need to remove to pull the shift lever off. Is that correct? Does anyone have a picture of that stud/bolt since mine is missing from my manual?
I cannot get that stud to come out as of yet. I have been using penetrating oil and a pair of nuts threaded on side by side since the stud does not have a head to it.
Thanks to anyone who can steer me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Ranger Clutch Change