General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

BLIZZARD coming!! Batten down the hatches

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 07:10 AM
south_paw
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile BLIZZARD coming!! Batten down the hatches

For those of us in the North East..... It's about time!! 12-16 inches of snow with 50 mph winds is coming my way.... I'll bet the stores will be packed today

Old 02-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Better get 8 gallons of milk and 12 loaves of bread. The stores will be out of food for weeks.

We are supposed to get 12-15" here.....

Old 02-11-2006, 07:28 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OH NO.....

That means the temperature here in Florida is going to drop into the 50's during the day....

I think the weather gal also said no sunshine today.... Well, part of the day anyway.....

Good luck....

Old 02-11-2006, 02:07 PM
YoungNclueless15
New User
Yeah, looks like its gonna' be a big one. I got to do all the shoveling for a while because my parents are out.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:09 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish we'd get some snow

Old 02-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Cuda444
Elder User
What gets me the most about these big storms is not only that everyone goes out to stock up for months, but it seems every year, the people that have been born and raised here in NE seem to forget how to drive in snowy conditions. Now I can understand buying a few things so you don't have to go out for a day or two, but the people that do go out it seems as though they just moved here from texas and have never seen this stuff before. They're sliding off the roads, getting stuck in snow banks, sliding into things -- these are people that have lived in the stuff all their life. People think that just because they have 4x4 they're invinsible... sorry folks, it doesn't help you stop any better. Now I understand accidents happen, and there are bound be crashes, but I'm a firm believer that if these people would just slow down a bit and think and react instead of panic, we would all be a lot better off and we would all be a lot safer.

*sigh*

Let's see what this storm brings *Goes out to put tow strap in the truck*
Bring it on!

Tom

Old 02-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
My DW says you guys are lucky! Kind of a twisted sense of humor I guess.
Me, I'm ready to hook up the 5er and go someplace warm.

Old 02-11-2006, 02:37 PM
bigdmizer
Elder User
YEEEEHAAAW! It's about time, 12-18 inches due here in Philadelphia area. I bought these cool sleds for the kids to use on this gigantic hill down the end of the street, and it hasn't snowed all year. It's gonna be fun!

Old 02-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
And here we sit in NW Montana, where we're supposed to have a ton of snow and the valleys are nearly dry as a bone. The mountains, however, are currently at 110% of average for this time of year. Anyone wanna bet me a buck that if I were to sell my snowblower, we'd get buried in snow? It's a spring-like day out there today.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Right now the country looks like this.

I'm in the small Dark Yellow area where it is dry & 55*F

Here's what's coming !

Weather Underground Forecast for Saturday, February 11, 2006. The main weather maker for the weekend will be the newly developed storm system that is expected to track northeastward from the Southeast to off the New Jersey coast by Sunday morning. Cold rains are expected for the piedmont of South Carolina southward while snows fall across the central and northern Appalachians. Heavy snow is possible from the mid-Atlantic states northward into southern New England.

In the mid-section of the nation, a southward sagging cold front will support isolated snow showers over parts of the Mississippi Valley. In addition, increasing north winds for the Upper Great Lakes will lead to light lake effect snow from late Saturday into Sunday.

Out West, a weak cold front is forecast to push through the Pacific Northwest Saturday night and Sunday morning, bringing coastal rain showers and a chance of light snow over the higher elevations.

Elsewhere, snow showers are also expected over southern Rockies during the morning hours.

A cold February day is stored for much of the eastern and central U.S. Highs for the southern states, except Florida, will be in the 40s and 50s. The extreme southern Texas will see Saturday’s highs dropping as much as 20 to 30 degrees from Friday afternoon temperatures. The rest of the eastern two-thirds of the nation can expect highs from the teens to the 30s. The warmer region will be the Florida Peninsula and Desert Southwest where highs are expected in the 70s and low 80s.

Temperatures in the Lower 48 states Friday ranged from a low of -20 degrees at Watertown, N.Y. to a high of 88 degrees at McAllen, Texas.

Last edited by Mil1ion; 02-11-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:41 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fordlover55
And here we sit in NW Montana, where we're supposed to have a ton of snow and the valleys are nearly dry as a bone.
I'm just slightly north of Bangor, Maine, and there is NO snow on the ground. We're supposed to get a little tomorrow, but so far we haven't had one storm of more than 8", and I'm not sure that's going to change tomorrow.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:07 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I wish we would either get some snow here, or it would warm up. There isn't more than a foot of snow on the ground and the dang wind always seems to blow it around. I have no problem with it being cold, but at least lets have some snow to go with the cold.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:25 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its lightly snowing out, we're supposed to get a "trace" <sarcasm>yey!</sarcasm>

Old 02-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Around here folks are acting like we have never had a foot of snow at one time. I couldn't believe the grocery store parking lots today.

Of course, I have a valid reason to be out in the snow tonight. My baby is due tomorrow and I figure he/she will come just about the time the storm peaks. That's okay by me - I'm dying for a reason to put the 250 in 4x4 and break down some snow banks....

Old 02-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Dungeon_Master
Posting Guru
Nitramjr Congrats on the up comming little one.
I am hoping for the snow here. Reminants are gone from last storm. I am still trying to figure out why people who have lived in New England all thier lives still drive like it's thier first snow storm.

Quick Reply: BLIZZARD coming!! Batten down the hatches