Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Junior User

RobsRedFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Timing And Firing Order Questions

I have got to install a distributor and put wires on a 300 6 cyl 88 model. I did not take it apart it was brought to me apart. I have the front cyl at top and I lined the marks up on the cam gear and the crank gear before puting the cover on....but I have no idea of the firing order and the cap on the distributor is not marked for the #1 cylinder... so please help...also are the cylinders numbered from 1 at front to 6 at rear..thanks..1 more thing the bolts holding the intake and exhaust together what is the proper torque value thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Freshman User

franko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here you go:
Cyls are 1 in front and 6 in rear.
If you stand by the driver side wheel, the number one plug on the distributor will be the closest one to you, if that makes sense. If that doesn't make sense, if you are standing in front of the truck looking at the distributor, its the one on the farthest right.
Firing order...153624 clockwise direction.
Intake to exhaust nuts are 28-32 ft lbs.
Intake to head are 22-32 ft lbs

Anything else just ask.

Last edited by franko; 02-09-2006 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to add that firing order was clockwise.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Junior User

RobsRedFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Elder User

stractor is starting off with a positive reputation.
I do not believe the marks on the cam and crank gears have any relation to ignition timing, they are for cam timing. As for #1 in the dist-- It actually can be any where as long as the dist was put in place when the engine was on T.D.C. of the firing stroke and the firing order was followed when wiring the cap and No1 was the wire where the rotor was pointing after the dist was in place, but usually you are limited to putting the dist in a certain way due to physical reasons ( vac advance diaphragms, ign modules and the like). The Ford manuals show 3 different places for No1 for the various 300s, usually on either side of the cap clip closest to the drivers side.

stractor
Old 02-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Iconoclast

Bdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by stractor
I do not believe the marks on the cam and crank gears have any relation to ignition timing.
stractor
You have a peculiar belief system!

corporations are not persons
corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons.corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:33 AM
Postmaster

srercrcr is starting off with a positive reputation.
A applaud him for thinking outside the box!
Old 02-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Elder User

stractor is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK-OK---I do not THINK the marks on the cam and crank gears have any relation to ignition timing as such. Ie.> set the marks together and drop the dist in and it will be timed.

Any Way --- I did some in-depth research and found the following in a 1992 Ford service Manual CD I have.

3. Install the camshaft, gear and thrust plate as an assembly, making sure that the "timing marks are in alignment". Use care to avoid bearing damage.

4. Tighten the thrust plate attaching screws to 13-16 N-m (9-12 ft-lb).

5. "Crank the engine until the timing marks are aligned". Do not turn the crankshaft again until the distributor is installed.

Sort of sounds like double talk. see the statements in quotes. I would still check to see if the engine was actually on TDC. putting too much faith in statements like this usually ends up with statements like>>> " I followed the directions and now I can't get it to run for anything"

stractor

Last edited by stractor; 02-11-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Iconoclast

Bdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputation
OK, so we all agree that the cam and crank position are absolutely related to ignition timing. You cannot install the distributor without regard to the cam/crank position. Clearly there are a few more steps before you are finished.

And sorry I didn't take the time to consider a more appropriate response.

corporations are not persons
corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons.corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300

Tags
300, cyl, firing, ford, order, timing