Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Montana Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: jredline1984

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Elder User

fatherdoug is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine rebuilders in Billings area?

Hello, all.

I would like to have my 400 engine out a '78 F-150 rebuilt. I would rather have my engine rebuilt than have it replaced. Does anybody have some recommendations for engine rebuilders in and around the Billings area, and especially for someone that is familiar with the engine problems of the 400.(Low oil pressure and overheating?) Thank You.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Posting Guru

big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.
I just had my 460 done by a shop called Hartung Motor Exchange. They did a really good job.
The number is 245-7470. They're at 910 8th street West. If I remember right the guy's name is Norm. All the machine work and reassembly of my long block was $1490 with a 1 year warranty. I've put just over 2000 miles on my truck and I don't have any problems at all.......except it's THIRSTY! I might have to take Hoss to Gasoline-ics anonomous.

"get away from me you unlucky jerk before your luck rubs off on me!"
Old 02-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Post Fiend

Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.
I would call the Bumper to Bumper Machine Shop, 259-7658 Ask for Don.

I've got a good friend that does machine work, he did all the work for my high horse 400. His name is Cal and he runs Magic City Engine Rebuilders, 259-4914.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Elder User

Thanks for the info, Matt and Big Hoss. I've heard of both of the places that you guys mentioned. Any idea on turnaround time?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Posting Guru

big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.
When I had my motor rebuilt, I think it was just under 2 weeks start to finish, but they had to wait for the rebuild kit to arrive as it was near Labor Day weekend.

"get away from me you unlucky jerk before your luck rubs off on me!"
Old 02-11-2006, 03:38 AM
Post Fiend

Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.
I had my 400 back in a week. The B to B shop usually has awesome turnaround. This time of year, it would probably be a week and a half turnaround. You would really have to call them and ask though, the same goes for Cal if you decide to go that route, he'll do just basic machining, or the whole job if you want.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Junior User

montana105 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey,as I've moved up to Kalispell I've kind of lost track of landmarks in Billings
But i know of a really good place on 4th ave n,he's mainly known for older ford and chevy engines but his quality is great. If I remember right he's right after
the old dry cleaners on about 22nd. Talk to the service manager at Rimrock Jeep and he can tell you,did an excellent job on his 65-66 chevy
Old 02-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Elder User

Thanks for the info montana105. I'll be visiting some rebuild places this week.

Matt, when you say B to B, are you referring to Bumper to Bumper? Can you tell me where their machine shop is?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Montana Chapter

Tags
350, 400, billings, chevy, engine, engines, ford, forum, montana, motor, mt, ny, rebuild, rebuilder, rebuilders, recommendations