1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AIH delete plug for boost guage install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 PM
fei1
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AIH delete plug for boost guage install?

Hey guys I have been reading and searching, and reading some more from this awesome site. I have my boost guage all wired up but I want know where or what is the best location? I was wondering what effects will the AIH delete plug have on my performance as well as regular driving in cold temps? I also would like to ask what I should do with the wire assembly that is already in my AIH sensor? Where did you put it? And one more final question, would I be better off with the T in the map line (pros and cons vs. the AIH)?

Thanks a bunch,
Mitch

P.S. If this helps at all I have an 02 F-250 with the 4" MBRP stainless exhaust system, Pyro and Tranny guages hooked up and running and a Superchip (high setting) I live in NE Pennsylvania.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:47 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
I coulda have sworn someone said it would throw a code if you do the AIH unless you put a resistor in the circuit to fool it.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Mopey
Senior User
It will throw a code without a resistor wired in. You can make your own or purchase one online. The code it throws is supposed to be a soft code so it does not affect anything to do with the operation of the truck. As far as I understand the only time the AIH will turn on is below 32 F, extended idling (20 mins), and oil temp below a certain temp, with the transmission in neutral or park. The AIH is for emissions purposes and helps to rid the white smoke when left idling for a while. Hope this helps, that is how it was explained to me.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:25 PM
h2guy
Senior User
I also would like to ask what I should do with the wire assembly that is already in my AIH sensor?
This sites installation instructions may give you a clue.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=48

Old 02-09-2006, 06:11 AM
fei1
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the advice. Right the temps are pretty cold and most of the info the site gave is current and will cause the AIH to activate. What can do to use the map line, and will I get the same results? If I do use the map line, do I need the dual relief valve offered through Black Cloud Diesel?

Old 02-09-2006, 08:52 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fei1
Thanks for the advice. Right the temps are pretty cold and most of the info the site gave is current and will cause the AIH to activate. What can do to use the map line, and will I get the same results? If I do use the map line, do I need the dual relief valve offered through Black Cloud Diesel?
If you hook into the map line and have the dual relief valve, you'll get a false reading. You'll get the reading that the MAP sensor sees, not the real boost numbers. When you hook into the AIH plug, you get the actual boost numbers the intake sees, and it could be much higher. Trust me, I've had it both ways. I never saw more than about 18-20 psi with the MAP line. In the AIH plug, I easily saw 30+ psi. I try to keep it under 25psi, so if I had kept it in the MAP line, I could be damaging my stock turbo and not know it. Plus, what's the point of a boost guage if all you're reading are false numbers anyway.

The other option to keep it in the MAP line is to run a regulator, not a relief valve. The MAP line regulator functions by limiting the amount of pressure the MAP line sees, just like a regulator on an air compressor. Where as the relief valve "leaks" or bleeds off the excess pressure. I've had a blow off valve, and now I have switched to a regulator. If you have the regulator, you can put the Tee for the boos guage in the MAP line as long as it's between the regulator and the intake.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:28 AM
fei1
Mountain Pass
Great I guess I wil go with the AIH delete plug. Do you guys think I will have troubles with the codes it could set off, and the temperatures around here? If I'm going to have a problem with the codes where can I get one, or how do I fix the situation?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:52 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will set a code, but that code won't trigger an SES light or cause any issues with the way the truck runs. Like someone said earlier, it's a soft code.

You can get a code eliminator wire from Garrett at blackclouddieselperformance.com. If you're good with wiring, you could make your own too. I did, but after the time and expense of everything, it would have been easier to just buy the wire premade.