General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Saudi's warn against trying to ween ourselves off of oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Snake1979
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saudi's warn against trying to ween ourselves off of oil

I was listening to the radio this mourning, they quoted the Saudi oil ministries stance that the United states trying to ween itself off of oil is foolish. That we would loose our supply chain that we have already established.

They mentioned that they would be more than happy to sell their oil to the Asian market.

This may be true, but it sounds like we've actually started to rattle some nerves with our talk of oil independance. Sounds like the bully when the little kid finally starts to grow a back bone to me.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:54 PM
94_turbo
Senior User
saudis--bunch of morons-cheat their own country out of money--and tell us not to stop buying oil--ok---

Old 02-08-2006, 07:00 PM
4wd
Elder User
You're right!

Thanks for the post. No doubt OPEC is watching us, but Whatever the outcome at this point I really doubt if The USMC will be intimmidated by any oil sheik. We are still the meanest big kid in the sandbox, and no one better forget it. May God Bless the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:13 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sell their oil to the Asian market.
the sam,e market where 100's of millions ride bicycles eveywhere they go? or the market where people can't afford to buy vehicles, let alone fuel for them.....

Old 02-08-2006, 07:16 PM
THEBOOGIEMAN
Junior User
If we would start drilling oil in Alaska or the gulf we would have more than enouf, and the we could be free from the saudi's. not to menton the price woul drop lots.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:46 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by jake00
the sam,e market where 100's of millions ride bicycles eveywhere they go? or the market where people can't afford to buy vehicles, let alone fuel for them.....
If you're talking about China, you should look again. They are quickly becoming an economic force, and the citizens are beginning to buy the things we take for granted...

As far as drilling in Alaska, I'm all for it. However, I don't think we'd be getting the gas/ oil much cheaper than we do now. It is an international market and every country's supply affects every other. It would be great to help curb our independence, though, and it would certainly keep more of our money in our own country.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:51 PM
scole250
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4wd
...I really doubt if The USMC will be intimmidated by any oil sheik. We are still the meanest big kid in the sandbox...
I prefer TOUGHEST kid in the sandbox, not meanest. Point taken though

Old 02-08-2006, 07:56 PM
lcampbell
Elder User
Originally Posted by stu37d
If you're talking about China... They are quickly becoming an economic force, and the citizens are beginning to buy the things we take for granted...
Yep... Now that they are curbing the market on wally's world. I wonder if the junk sold in walmart over there is made in china or the US.
http://www.wal-martchina.com/english/

Old 02-08-2006, 08:17 PM
surewhynot
Postmaster
Originally Posted by THEBOOGIEMAN
If we would start drilling oil in Alaska or the gulf we would have more than enouf, and the we could be free from the saudi's. not to menton the price woul drop lots.
If it drop's the price enough, they can drill in my backyard

Old 02-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Regardless of where oil is drilled and brought to us ... the price will never go down. You cannot expect any Billionaire to lose one DIME of his hard earned money, just to benefit his own countrymen. I'm sorry ... but before this thread gets closed for political reasons ... greed is still greed, no matter what country you live in.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:59 PM
weeds
Senior User
I just can't wait til we are totally independent of the oil industry...hopefully these biofuel cars will catch on so we can start raking the middle east at $5/gallon for vegetable oil

*edit-typos

Old 02-08-2006, 09:02 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
I suspect that even if we were to become totally free from oil (which I rather doubt is possible in my lifetime...) energy would still be expensive. High demand = high price. Demand ain't going anywhere but up...

Old 02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil isn't only burned - every piece of plastic you see has its origin in a dead jurassic carcass of one kind or another.

Still - it almost sounds like someone saying "Try to quit smoking, and I'll kill Ya..."

The only thing the middle east has going for it is that someone found something THEY COULD NOT DEVELOP THEMSELVES under the bleak barren wastelands they live on.

The smart countries have now invested in various industries elsewhere, but they are still worthless from a basic viewpoint. It brings to mind the Beverly Hillbillies, but Arab women are not that kind to the eyes...

Got their share of "JETHRO's" though, don't they?
(He says, bluntly)

Old 02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> If we would start drilling oil in Alaska or the gulf we would have more than enouf

I am all for the drilling, but, that is simply not true. I look at it for a back up plan to fund "must have" power plants and defense, not automobiles, in time of war.

I really want hydrogen powered cars.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:23 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey just a thought, speaking of price reductions because of drilling in Alaska..... Who would be doing the drilling in Alaska? High payed American Union protected, benifit entiltled workers. Why do you think so much of America's product is shipped over seas for production. Cost maybe? So why would this cut costs at the gas/diesel pump, or for anything else oil is used for. Yes, drill in Alaska, to reduce dependants on foreign oil, but don't expect to see savings at the pump IMO.
I say, continue to ween off of oil altogether, as alternatives become available. Find alternative sources of energy that are safe, clean and cheap, and do it quick. The Asian market would jump in too. Then we could all keep our interests out of those countries, that dont' want us there anyway.

Quick Reply: Saudi's warn against trying to ween ourselves off of oil