Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Elder User

sgrol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
WVO vs Biodiesel

I'm confused. Some seem to just filter wvo and add to their #2 in the tank and go on down the road. If this is possible, why would one want/need to go through the hassel of mixing, washing, etc. i.e. making biodiesel? What advantage does the biodiesel have over running wvo? I know there must be a good answer to this, I just haven't seen it.

2012 F 350 6.7 KR 4x4, SEIC Mod, Flagpole delete, Jimmi Jammers, McGard Tailgate Lock, HID, Spartan, Firestone Bags

2000 F 250 7.3 4x4 CC
Old 02-08-2006, 04:41 AM
Senior User

leskwvo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would argue that WVO if done right is far simpler and less expensive in the long run. When I say done rigth that is not mixing it with #2 at all, but having a second fuel delivery system on the vehicle. Read my article on this site about running a diesel on WVO Link to Article . This will give you the basics.

Bio has one advatage over WVO. Your less likely to have issues with vehicle warranty work running Bio.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:17 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrol
I'm confused. Some seem to just filter wvo and add to their #2 in the tank and go on down the road. If this is possible, why would one want/need to go through the hassel of mixing, washing, etc. i.e. making biodiesel? What advantage does the biodiesel have over running wvo? I know there must be a good answer to this, I just haven't seen it.
If you have more than 1 diesel the cost is less because you don't have to modify all of them, and I use it for home heating, and shop heat. Bio is also better if you drive short distance's. On short trips the WVO won't get hot enough to use. It also need's NO heating, I run B-80 all winter,and have not had any start-up problems down to 0deg F. FABMANDELUX

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 02-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Elder User

Thanks for the replys. Don't have to worry about warranty so that is out. Live in Houston so cold weather is not a big problem. The way I see it is that it basically breaks down to this:
1. Boi - has longer preparation time, don't have to heat to use, can mix w/ diesel
2. WVO - have to heat to use (for viscosity reasons), need dedicated tank so you can switch back and forth between diesel and wvo, can't mix w diesel.

Am I in the ballpark now?

2012 F 350 6.7 KR 4x4, SEIC Mod, Flagpole delete, Jimmi Jammers, McGard Tailgate Lock, HID, Spartan, Firestone Bags

2000 F 250 7.3 4x4 CC
Old 02-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Thanks for the replys. Don't have to worry about warranty so that is out. Live in Houston so cold weather is not a big problem. The way I see it is that it basically breaks down to this:
1. Boi - has longer preparation time, don't have to heat to use, can mix w/ diesel
2. WVO - have to heat to use (for viscosity reasons), need dedicated tank so you can switch back and forth between diesel and wvo, can't mix w diesel.

Am I in the ballpark now?
WVO can mix with diesel or Bio. But then you are at the third option. In Houston that may work well for you. The temps are warm enough year round that a blend of 50/50 may be just the ticket. Maybe even higher in the summer. Do some seearching on Blending, I'm no expert but I've ready post from folks that do it.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Elder User

I don't know personaly, but I have read in researching on this topic, that diesel and wvo will separate after mixing. I plan to do some small scale experimenting with this.

2000 F 250 7.3 4x4 CC
Old 02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior User

Take a look at this threasd from infopop
Old 02-08-2006, 08:09 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by leskwvo
Take a look at this threasd from infopop
Read this thread.............. Makes me REAL glad I make bio. Every one in the thread was having problems..........Half of them were mixing with GASOLINE!!!

I've made in exess of 6,000 gal, and have never had a fuel related problem so I'll stick with Biodiesel. FABMANDELUX.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:39 AM
Senior User

Yes, that was my point. I don't blend and can't talk to the subject in any real detail so I gave a starting point for research.

I still prefer just straight WVO works great for me, no mess no fuss.

Fab what did you do with the 1200 gallons of Glycerin from that 6000 gallons of bio.

That is one of the reason I still don't think I want to brew. That and I'm lazy and would screw up the measurments. I use oil to heat my house so I could save some real bucks if I did. But so far haven't taken that leap yet. Maybe this summer.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:24 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by leskwvo
Yes, that was my point. I don't blend and can't talk to the subject in any real detail so I gave a starting point for research.

I still prefer just straight WVO works great for me, no mess no fuss.

Fab what did you do with the 1200 gallons of Glycerin from that 6000 gallons of bio.

That is one of the reason I still don't think I want to brew. That and I'm lazy and would screw up the measurments. I use oil to heat my house so I could save some real bucks if I did. But so far haven't taken that leap yet. Maybe this summer.
Hi Erick: I burn the glycerol in a "turk" burner that supplies the heat for the process equipt and shop heat. I just received a $40,000 grant to research using the glycerol mixed with wheat straw to make pellet's for wood stoves. Should take a year to publish the result's. I will keep everyone here informed of my progress. I'm just finishing my latest project: I've found a new way of processing that won't require settling the glycerol out overnight, I can now remove the glycerol 30min after mixing, should speed up the process by a bunch! Will post pic's and the process shortly. FAB

Old 02-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Senior User

Cool it sounds like you have a better mouse trap. I'd love to hear about it.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Elder User

hott-rodd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now bio sounds like it will be mature enough for the masses.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
I don't know personaly, but I have read in researching on this topic, that diesel and wvo will separate after mixing. I plan to do some small scale experimenting with this.
WVO and Diesel will seperate because they have different molecular weights.
Bio and Dino Diesel are very similar in molecular weight actually Diesel is a mixture of molecules that span a fairly narrow range of weights and Bio, which may be a mixture but has less variety than Dino, falls within the weight range of the molecules that make up Dino Diesel

WVO molecular weight is 3 times that of Dino
Old 02-11-2006, 10:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
biodiesel, mix, mixing, molecular, vs, weight, wvo