4.2l Mpg ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:17 PM
White Shadow
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you really are hard on the gas pedal, it puts the 6 into a "work" mode which dumps a lot more fuel in. Light use of the gas pedal results in a "cruise" type mode which brings timing up to max and a lot less fuel being injected. When towing, I get 15 mpg because it's in work mode. On the highway in OD without a load on it, I get 20mpg because it is in cruise mode. Cruise control on the highway helps a bit too.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:35 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did another check.
About 300 miles of all sorts of driving: all around Birmingham, surface streets, stop-and-go, some interstate (maybe 50 miles), just normal blah, blah, blah driving.
I got 17.8 mpg.

I sure don't understand all the wide variations from one guy to the next.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 PM
tula771
Junior User
I also filled my tank. It has been cold this past week in Michigan and I've done 90 percent city driving, never going over 2000 rpm, mostly the shift points were around 1600-1700 rpm and my mpg was 11.6$#$#$#$#$#% I checked my tires......and all is up to recommended requirements. I now have 2300 miles on the truck.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 AM
tula771
Junior User
Originally Posted by BrianA
I did the test mode thing to check: my normal driving (on the easy side) I get shift points around 2000-2400 rpm.
Nail it and the shift points jump to the 4000-5000 rpm range.

And FWIW, I too tend to see a drop with winter formula gas.
Dang Brian, you shift the gears at 2000 to 2400rpm and get 15mpg - 20mpg. I used your digital tac info access and found I shift around 1600 to 1800 and my mpg is $#$#. I bought the 6cyl because its in my freestar and it gets 13 to 28mpg, and I like the engine. I just cannot figure out this truck. I filled up today and got 15mpg for the first time. That is a total of 255 miles, 32 are highway?????? I even was determined to get the truck to its peak HP and touque rpm. Day 1- nailed it getting on the express way, never got past 2600 cause of the shifts, and I did not want to go 100mph to see the top end.
Day-2--before getting on the freeway, I press the overdrive button off, noted the truck ran 1000 more rpm, so I punched it.......got the truck up to 2900 rpm.
Day-3--I was going to get that engine up to 3400rpm somehow. When I got off the freeway I put the truck in 2nd gear at the stop sign!! You guessed it, I was a determined ford man, took off in 2nd, but it did not make 3400 rpm till the truck was aprox. 40-45mph!!!!

So, I finally heard the engine at peak hp and torque. So, here is the question, and I love this truck and engine, but lacking truck knowledge, how is the 4.2 benifical to truck users. It seems to be made for the family man, me, who does not pull or carry a lot or often. --based on how I would never want to run the truck at 3400rpm sustained pulling a load or carrying a load----it was hard to hear the radio!!LOL I am a professioal, but I have a wood hobby making knives (buy the steel blades and put the handles on) and aprox.4 times per year (425 miles) I come out of the Upper Pennisula of Michigan with a thousand pound load of wood and drive back to Ann Arbor (also visit family in the north). My ranger did a great job and this truck will too, but it will also slow down on the big hills in Northern Michigan---one of the reasons I traded up to the F150.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Man, I wish I knew what was going on with your mpg. I did a quick spot-check yesterday.
I filled up in Bham and drove south on I-65 almost to Mobile, Al - about 225 miles.
It was WINDY, I ran the AC about 1/2 the trip, and drove about 75 mph. I got 19.3 mpg.
I have no idea why yours is so low.

You will find that cruising around 70-75 the torque converter will unlock when you come to steeper grades or longer hills. This does help the engine spin a few hundered RPMs higher and make the additional HP necessary.

Regarding your question: how is the 4.2 benifical to truck users
It is NOT for everyone, I'll tell you that. It sounds like it would be fine for what you ask (except for the mpg thing ?)
This is my second 4.2 and I am happy with it (and the prior one).

My previous truck had the 5 speed manual and I pulled up to about 3000-3500 lbs on occasion, and hauled 1000 lbs quite a few times. It always performed better than i would have expected.

With my current (05) I have not hauled significant weight, but have pulled about 1000 lbs (utility trailer, motorcycle and junk) many times. It does fine too.
I can imagine the auto transmission will be shifting more frequently than I found necessary with the manual. There is a slight difference in the OD ratio between the two, with the auto being geared to turn slightly fewer rpms on the highway.

I believe my truck (3.55 rear end) driving down the interstate in OD w/ torque converter locked up, is truning 28 rpm for every MPH.
So, at 70 mph that's about 1950 rpm. That is low and not near peak power. BUT it does lend itsself to decent mpg.

I just don't know what to tell you. I'd think the truck would work fine for you - and expect it will. But, the low MPG thing? I can figure that one out.

edit to add: Your WOT shift points seem way low. You shoudl EASILY see about 3500 rpm in WOT acceleration.
If I apply WOT and hold it there, my truck won't leave second gear until 75 - 80 mph. I know I saw about 4800 rpm on the tach when I gave this a try.
You might want to stop by the dealer and have them reflash your computer. Tell them about your conversation here (re: MPG) and ask them to check the shift points and any other items that might be causing poor mpg.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
tula771
Junior User
Originally Posted by BrianA
Man, I wish I knew what was going on with your mpg. I did a quick spot-check yesterday.
I filled up in Bham and drove south on I-65 almost to Mobile, Al - about 225 miles.
It was WINDY, I ran the AC about 1/2 the trip, and drove about 75 mph. I got 19.3 mpg.
I have no idea why yours is so low.

You will find that cruising around 70-75 the torque converter will unlock when you come to steeper grades or longer hills. This does help the engine spin a few hundered RPMs higher and make the additional HP necessary.

Regarding your question: how is the 4.2 benifical to truck users
It is NOT for everyone, I'll tell you that. It sounds like it would be fine for what you ask (except for the mpg thing ?)
This is my second 4.2 and I am happy with it (and the prior one).

My previous truck had the 5 speed manual and I pulled up to about 3000-3500 lbs on occasion, and hauled 1000 lbs quite a few times. It always performed better than i would have expected.

With my current (05) I have not hauled significant weight, but have pulled about 1000 lbs (utility trailer, motorcycle and junk) many times. It does fine too.
I can imagine the auto transmission will be shifting more frequently than I found necessary with the manual. There is a slight difference in the OD ratio between the two, with the auto being geared to turn slightly fewer rpms on the highway.

I believe my truck (3.55 rear end) driving down the interstate in OD w/ torque converter locked up, is truning 28 rpm for every MPH.
So, at 70 mph that's about 1950 rpm. That is low and not near peak power. BUT it does lend itsself to decent mpg.

I just don't know what to tell you. I'd think the truck would work fine for you - and expect it will. But, the low MPG thing? I can figure that one out.

edit to add: Your WOT shift points seem way low. You shoudl EASILY see about 3500 rpm in WOT acceleration.
If I apply WOT and hold it there, my truck won't leave second gear until 75 - 80 mph. I know I saw about 4800 rpm on the tach when I gave this a try.
You might want to stop by the dealer and have them reflash your computer. Tell them about your conversation here (re: MPG) and ask them to check the shift points and any other items that might be causing poor mpg.
Our trucks are almost identical, at 70mph my truck is running 1930-1970rpm. In an earlier post I mentioned my idea that 1. The truck is heavy(I think the 2006 gained some weight over the 2005 for the new safety on the frame and front end) Moving that heavy truck from 0mph to speed takes some oomph.....maybe it takes more gas becasue the truck does not benifit from peak torque like my old 4.9 did--peaked at 2000rpm. 2. I live in the north and winter gas is different,
But I do not want to sound negative in this forum, I loved my 4-banger ranger, I love our Freestar with a 4.2, and this 150 is awesome.......except for the mph. Yestedays 15mpg was the best yet, lots better than 11.5 which is not acceptable. Perhaps the owners manual is right, the engine has to be broken in-----although its my first ford which required an engine breakin, but thats the way it use to be. My dad drives a dodge, took his truck 10,000 15000 to get max mph......He drives a hemi and is in the teens(And he lives very rural. On the highway, I drive 70mph, sometimes 75mph, the torque converter is still locked cause the rpms do not change.
I will take the truck back to the dealer, I got a recall on it yesteday. It was a sad day yesterday when the toyota truck got better ratings. The Ford is a better truck, but our Ford Manufacturer must listen to the customer and pay attention to detail. A recall on Antilock brakes is not acceptable in my eyes. Ford is better than that. I believe when you put a product out, its the best you can make. I also own a 2000 focus, great little car, rugged, dependable, three daughters have tested it.....but aprox 14 recalls. Yes I would buy another one, the newer ones hopefully have the buggs out. What they do not tell you is total costs!!! I pay car insurance on one of my kids in college, she has a honda civic and the insurance for a honda is out of sight, it doubles my new truck.!!!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Tstorms
Junior User
Checked my MPG again and this time it was 12.4 MPG all city.Why get the V6? I think the V8 mileage would be the same or better. I think I have a 3.73 gear ratio. Dont know if that is the problem. Almost impossiable to accelerate and keep shift points below 2000 RPM. I like this truck and hate to do this but I think I will go look at a Chevy truck this weekend. My brother in laws Chevy with the 5.3L gets 16 to 17 MPG and has way more power. May be time for my first Chevy Truck. Ford really droped the ball when it comes to economy on these new Trucks.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 AM
tula771
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tstorms
Checked my MPG again and this time it was 12.4 MPG all city.Why get the V6? I think the V8 mileage would be the same or better. I think I have a 3.73 gear ratio. Dont know if that is the problem. Almost impossiable to accelerate and keep shift points below 2000 RPM. I like this truck and hate to do this but I think I will go look at a Chevy truck this weekend. My brother in laws Chevy with the 5.3L gets 16 to 17 MPG and has way more power. May be time for my first Chevy Truck. Ford really droped the ball when it comes to economy on these new Trucks.
If you have a 3.73 rear end that is why your mpg is lower. I'd be sure its a 3.73 cause Ford generally puts the 3.55 with the 4.2, its the standard.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:42 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
This MPG thing sure has me puzzled.
I keep thinking maybe I'm the one making a mistake. So, I keep checking.
Drove Bham to Mobile, Al and back to Bham.
approx 575 miles total.
Almost all Interstate.
It was not all flat land; many long hills on the Interstate.
Avg 75 mph.

19.4 mpg for the trip.

Guys, I have no idea why your mpg is so much lower. I wish I knew.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:00 PM
4doorkick
New User
Wow. Some of you guys are getting some pretty good milage. I just got my truck, 97 model with auto, and have gotten 14.5 and 14.99 as my first 2 fillups. I drive mostly interstate, unfotunately a bit fast (75) going to work, but a bit slower coming home (65-70). I need to get cruise for this truck, that will help some I know. I have 8 floors of parking garage to weave up and down when I get to work. Guess I'm with the bad-mileage group instead of the good-mileage group, Dang it.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 AM
tula771
Junior User
WEll, Just when I thought the mpg was improving, I filled my tank and guess what!!!! 10.5mpg and the truck never went over 2000 rpm. We had a cold week, the nights were down around 10 degrees. And gas is $2.56 today. I just want what the window sticker said 15 to 20 mpg. This is the first Ford not to get the window sticker mpg.....I am very easy on the gas,

Old 03-09-2006, 06:24 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Hmmm, I just can't figure it out. Why is your mpg so bad???
I drove from Bham to Nashville Tuesday afternoon. All Interstate.
About 75 mph.
Exactly 21 mpg.

I'd have a FIT if I was getting 10-12 mpg!

Old 03-09-2006, 07:29 PM
tula771
Junior User
Did some highway miles today and got 16mpg and the truck has 2600 miles now.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:05 AM
White Shadow
Junior User
Your engine isn't even broken in yet. Give it at least 5000 miles. My 03 4.2 is getting 17mpg with E85 ethanol, which I converted the truck to. I have 42,000 on the odometer. Break it in correctly, and you will get great milage and good longevity. If at 5000 or even 10,000, you are still getting 12 mpg, take it in under warranty ,and tell the dealer you ain't happy. They should run a diagnostic on it for you. If they don't, tell them you'll buy a Dodge!!! That'll GIT ER DONE!

Old 03-11-2006, 12:44 PM
tula771
Junior User
LOL....What do you mean by breaking it in correctly?

Quick Reply: 4.2l Mpg ?