Alaska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Coming to Eielson/Fairbanks Soon!!! Have ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:31 PM
schmidty_dog
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Coming to Eielson/Fairbanks Soon!!! Have ???

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a few questions. I'm getting stationed up at Eielson in about a month and wondered if I should have my block heater and everything put on before I get up there. I would be arriving around March 25. I'm going to be taking the Ferry and then driving my F150 the rest of the way. I also wanted to know if you guys have any recommendations on tires for my truck, i'm going to be getting them in the next couple of weeks but right now i just had BFG All Terrains in mind. I was going to get 285 x 70 r 17s but my buddy tells me go as skinny as possible to cut through the snow, i didn't figure that I would have any trouble with the 285's though. Anyways, i'm gettin really excited to get up there and I hope to meet lots of friends while I'm stationed up there. Thanks guys, schmidty

Old 02-06-2006, 10:16 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll cya in April! Wife and I will be there then, you can find me by looking for the True Blue and Silver 250 that sounds like an F-16 driving around. Well, that and the Arkansas plates....

Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 PM
GaryT
Junior User
Temperatures up that way have been to low 50's (-50's). You may want to make sure your differential's are all changed over to synthetic's before you head north. A heated battery warmer blanket, and an oil heater pad is not out of the question, along with extension cord that has little neon light in plug, to let you know that yes you do have power. Also come May the frost heaves and whoop de doos (road sliding off into some place you do not want to go) will return. The fishing should start to get real good about the 2nd week of June and do not forget a bug cap (with netting). As for BFG's they are my studded tire of choice. This morning in Anchorage we had rain on top of ice, and doubt if I would have made to work without them.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:08 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Agree. Was slick a snot and aleast with snot it sticks to you. Nothing like rain on top of ice. Man a good way to split the pants. Yes go with a good set of studded tires and forgo those big and wide monster tires. Get you in more trouble then they are worth. In another month the cold will still be here but not a frequent. Follow GaryT's advice and get you vehicle ready before the trip. You will still get to experience a few months of winter. Also bring a few spare headlights for the drive up. I would also recommend a spare windshield but thats not practical.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:01 PM
schmidty_dog
Cross-Country
Well I just changed all the fluids and oil. I got my portcall today for March 17, I'll be getting to Alaska in Haines off the Ferry on March 20. Would I be able to get by with an oil pan heater or should I do more? Talked to a couple of guys today that had been stationed up there for a few years and they thought I wouldn't really need any heaters getting up there March 20, they said I could get that stuff on base if need be once I get there. Just don't want to get stranded with me and the wife. Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:14 PM
arcticoffroadingfish
Senior User
around march 20 its pretty warm it will hardly ever get below 20 degrees. i wouldnt worry about anything as long as your running 5-20 in the engine and 75-90 or similar gear oil youll be good.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:55 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Do you have a cabin on the Ferry? If not and you are going to sleep "up top" on the benches I suggest that you pitch a tent two levels below the top, stern of the ship. There is this covered section that is great for tents. Top-stern gets kinda windy. But you might also get on one of the new fast ferries. Havent ridden on one of those yet.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:59 PM
schmidty_dog
Cross-Country
Yes I will have a cabin on the ferry. I am also shipping my truck and cats on the ferry with me, I think I have to leave the cats in the truck??? Anyways I am getting very excited, I have heard that the ferry is a good time with good views. I was born and raised in Iowa and believe it or not, have never seen an ocean. Closest thing was lake Michigan, so I'm excited.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:28 PM
TXBDBY
Senior User
Dog Welcome to Alaska, Eielson was my first assignment 16 years ago. I loved it hope you do too. It is like a small town itself. What is ur AFSC? Stay busy even in the winter when it is damn cold! That includes the wife take her out even if to just walk around wal-mart or Fred Meyers! GET OUT OF THE HOUSE, summer will not be a problem light 24 7 and plenty to do! I am at Elmendorf now and getting wet to retire in 5 months. So if make it up there to hunt or from kids sports will look you up! Welcome and have a blast!

Old 02-10-2006, 05:31 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Last time I rode the Ferry (92) they didnt allow you access to your vehicle while the ship was underway. I would ask about this just in case you were planning to take care of your animals while you are crusing. PS Digital camera is a must with LOTS of storage capacity. Inside passage is "outstanding" photo opportunity. Bring your mountain bikes if possible. When you stop at some of the ports you usually have 5-6 hours. Good opportunity to get off the ship and explore the local community.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:08 PM
schmidty_dog
Cross-Country
Cool guys, yeah me and the wife are really excited. My AFSC is 2A651A, or Aerospace Propulsion. I've been working on the F110's in the F16's my whole career so far down here at Cannon AFB. I do have a digital camera, and it'll hold 250 pics so we should be covered. I have yet to hear anything bad about Alaska, everyone loves it, so I'm sure I will too. Its a plus that I'm from a small town of 1500 in a farming community in Iowa, so I love the outdoors and smaller communities. When is the best time to buy a snowmobile... the off season??? I kinda wanna get one once I'm there. Take it easy, schmidty dog

Old 02-12-2006, 03:45 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

How new / old do you want and how much do you want to spend. Also what type of ridding are you going to be doing? I would start from there. Looks like I would wait until next winter. That gives you some time to research a sled.